How to get new bowlers??

Fitzy

Underpaid
I was sitting by my lonesome (as I normally do) so got to thinking on how to attract more people to our sport.

How economically/logistically viable would it be to allow free coaching/information clinics to "NEW" people/kids. I find it hard to get what I mean across so I'll give an example.

I introduced bowling to my 10 year old niece, 3 games was enough to get her hooked. She now wants to join a league though she feels as if she is not "able" to join a league as she does not "know" how to bowl. Even though I have told her that there will be a lot of kids joining the league that are similar in “skill” level as her. Basically it is a confidence issue, learning the basics would in my opinion alleviate this issue.

Say AMF decided to allow a free coaching clinic (wherever they have a qualified coach in centre) each month/2-3 months for “new” bowlers (regardless of age) to teach the basics. Obviously this will be out of pocket for AMF, however, if they put in place a scheme for all coaches/coaches in learning that as a “requirement” to be a coach they are to give a years worth of “free” lessons (subsidised by AMF – worse case scenario would be 12 lessons). Similar to the way the military works, we train you up for X years and before you can leave you must do Y number of years service. Obviously as AMF does not pay for your coaching so then you should be paid by AMF to “do” these free lessons. AMF centres could advertise these free clinics where necessary and “plug”/promote league play in these free clinics, even attempt sign ups.

This should equate to more league sign ups, hence more money into leagues and centres and surely that should offset the wages paid for these free clinics.

Just a thought, what does everyone else think?? Any other ideas??

I have only been back bowling for two years after a 13 year break, so I do not know if this has been attempted before and I do not know the financial/logistical burden this would incur. It is just a thought that hopefully can be elaborated on in this forum/thread.

Rhyss.

Great post Rhyss!!!

Its a topic that could be discussed several different ways, whether it be price wise, marketting, interest generation or exposure. It will all help in the end, and the more active suggestions given (like yours) the more that can be done.

Have you suggested this to your local centre? Often Managers of bowling centres are fantastic listeners, and really friendly people if you get to know them.

If you are really interested in helping out juniors, there are also courses that you are able to do to teach the basics, best people to contact for that are TBA reps. Check out www.tenpin.org.au for contact details.

Cheers!

It is a good post. Years ago AMF used to have coaches on staff. They were given a shirt with Instructor printed on the back.
The only requirement was that the Instructor had to hold at least a 180 league average.
Mostly they worked during the day but occasionally they were on nights.
In the end they went the same way as Lanesmen. I guess cost cutting was a major factor there too.

Would be good to have someone "roaming" around the lanes when social bowlers were in. Wearing a clear to identify top or something. Just offering assistance and coaching. If they can get social bowlers hitting pins instead of walls maybe they might take a likeing to the game?

just a though ive only been bowling 2 years so it may have been tried?

Andrew S. said:
It is a good post. Years ago AMF used to have coaches on staff. They were given a shirt with Instructor printed on the back.
The only requirement was that the Instructor had to hold at least a 180 league average.
Mostly they worked during the day but occasionally they were on nights.
In the end they went the same way as Lanesmen. I guess cost cutting was a major factor there too.

The AMF Centre instructors were still around only about two years ago.
They wore the blue shirts with "Coach" in yellow on the back (from memory)
Rodney Radcliffe used to come in during the weekdays quite often, they asked me to do the job as well, but as I worked nightshift at the time, was too knackered to do it.
The whole instructor thing seems to have fallen by the wayside now, another victim of cost-cutting.

when i started i was 12 i could throw the ball but didnt know how to bowl there were 2 parents that had accredited coaching tickets on saturday mornings that walked through the league and helped all the time then during my youth working at the bowl i was offered to be put through the same coarse and then teach juniors i did it and ai liked it never once was i paid
i would do it now if my son was in the league these days you have people with 6 months experience in working at the bowling alley trying to convince you that you have the stuff to bowl league then when you join they leave you to try and get more people to join never mind working out how to keep bowlers just try and get new ones cause they know the others will leave one day history shows us this
lol
my son is 8 i always said he will not bowl because i can not afford it but now i can he begs me to let him join a league but i will only join a family orientated centre not ones adjoining shopping complex's that only care about social bowlers
daniel

I can only talk about what we do at Werribee Superbowl. We have Junior Leagues 7 days a week.
All teams of 2 and nearly all of them bowling 2 games each. (25% bowl 3 games).
They all receive a half hour of coaching prior to league, each and every week.
They all wear their FREE Werribee Superbowl Juniors tshirts. They all pay registration of $10.
We have employed a Junior League Guardian and she manages our juniors.
They all receive award plaques at the end of each season. Two seasons a year.
They and their families, all attended the Xmas Party at Luna Park (at no expense to the bowlers).
We have ‘Bring a friend’ and ‘Bowl with Mum/Dad/Carer’ and ‘7 NoTap’ weeks during the season.
We are having our 'Commonwealth Games' theme coming up soon.
They are all mixed Bumper/No Bumper leagues. Most of them even prebowl if they can’t make it.
The 2 game leagues cost $11 and 3 game leagues cost $15.
There is more but I think you get the idea.
We currently have 190 juniors and I think that’s great.
We also have Pathways setup for them.
If anyone wants more info please PM me.
Doriana Porto
Werribee Superbowl
:D :D :D

100 new bowlers is worth somewhere around $100.000 -$125.000 per year to a center...........

*'TOPHER* said:
Would be good to have someone "roaming" around the lanes when social bowlers were in. Wearing a clear to identify top or something. Just offering assistance and coaching. If they can get social bowlers hitting pins instead of walls maybe they might take a likeing to the game?
just a though ive only been bowling 2 years so it may have been tried?

We kind of do this here. We send a staff member out on the lanes among the social players to 'recruit' them...if you do ever try this, expect rejection. It hurts...
If it is quiet, the idea of going down to the lanes and giving social players works a treat. Even if it is just correcting the fingers they have in the ball...Ive noticed it can bring them back for more...

Or you could try my approach. Worked the counter this evening, knocked off at 9:30, and went down and had a bowl next to all the social bowlers while the lights were out still. Shot 256 first game, had 3 games over 200, and had them all entertained. Found out later on from my fellow staff member that the group of young/youth bowlers asked for my scoresheet printout when they left so they could show their friends "how a real bowler does it" and how amazed they were at how bowling could actually be.. I guess bowling two handed also helps my cause.

The point of this is that there are many ways to attract new bowlers. Things such as that help to raise and importantly update the image of bowling to the general public. A lot of centres have the policy that no staff member may bowl with their staff uniform on. I can understand why this has been in place, but has anyone thought of the idea that it may be good to promote the centre and the sport this way? I wore my staff shirt tonight.. and I believe that it is good to show social bowlers that the same bloke that just served us can actually bowl, and wow that's how it's done. It can change perceptions about the whole game just by a simple action. From an example like mine tonight, you could then possibly have more of a chance of promoting the sport, and would possibly have a better chance at "recruiting". Bowl with them, show them how it's done, entertain them, and then sell the product. The traditional way is a bit like "cold calling" in marketing... people hang up on you, it just doesn't work most of the time. Same concept can be applied to "cold recruiting"..

It's just an idea. Nothing that is currently being tried is working.

Cheers,
Tim Reichel.

Here at Maitland we have 1 and at most times 2 people on the lanes coaching all our junior leagues and 2 afternoons a month we have a coaching clinic for all juniors. This has been very successful to the point we have approximately 10 bowlers that now want to bowl tournaments this year so we will be having extra coaching to help them. There is nothing like watching the faces of the kids when you teach them something new, they try it and[ IT WORKS.
:cool: They also love it when Nat(Nathan Jenner) does a little trick shot and gets a strike, it makes them want to try that little bit extra.

Major BUMP of a thread....

Some interesting points raised in this old topic. Some still quite relevant today.

I know when i completed my Level 1 course i was keen to help new bowlers learn the ins and out of the game, not knowing everything myself i thought beginners were an ideal place to help lift the profile of the sport and also help some people become addicted by scoring better. Im confident i could help newbies lift their avg by 20 pins by simply talking spares and not strikes.

In saying that i was most dissapointed that the 2 centres i contacted to offer my assistance in coaching of newbies were never replied to. People that know me know i bowl out of campbelltown, and i can confirm that campbelltown was NOT one of the centres.

An interesting comment above where someone suggests 100 new bowlers is worth 100K to a centre over a year, id say they are right on the money and that wouldnt even include anything they buy from the pro shop. And lets face it, how many people that become addicted to the sport use house balls and shoes for all of the first year??

John Velo... how much gear did you buy in your first year back in the sport...? Sorry for putting you on the spot, i just know you are a good example.

Anyway just thought id give a real life example of where the offer to give help has gone to waste. Another reason why maybe we arent attracting new people to the sport.

Thoughts?

Hey Roy,

I will only tell if you promise not to tell my lovely wife.

First week,

One ball for my wife, one ball for myself. They took one week for the centre to get in.

The centre said just to go online for anything else I needed as they felt it was the better way. I don’t need to be invited more than once.

Online after that,

Two ball bag, a pair of shoes for the wife.

I then bought a second ball, and a single ball bag for the wife as I need the two ball bag.

I then bought another ball to try a different layout.

Followed by a ball jocky and a roller bag.

Another ball for myself, then also bought my wife a reactive to play with.

Bought some sst-8’s and another ball.

Then I stepped up to 15lb kit, bought four balls in one month.

Two ball tote.

This month I bought another set of SST-8’s as the first set where a little too big. ( if anybody would like to buy some low milage sst-8’s in size 11 let be know.)

New two ball quality roller to replace the cheaper one that is falling apart.

Thumb sleeves by the dozen, finger grips by the dozen.

Bought the five year old a ball bag and shoes.

Ball cleaner, sanding pads.

Ball spinner, polishes, thumb tape.

Spare soles for the SST-8.

I think that is about it.

And I have three weeks to go for the end on my first twelve months.

and Norn Duke's how to bowl DVD to learn how to use the pile of frustration above....

as a league bowler from the old days i feel that the price of bowling and registration are a bit high ,i know inflation has change since i started bowling back in the 70s but junior bowling is the one affected the most. When a junior starts bowling in a new league they usually only bowl 2 games and its either bumper or a improvement up from bumpers , these kids are expected to pay a full registration as a 3 game bowler you would think that someone in tba/amf would come up different prices for registering for all ages no what age they are .In these days i thought its only a game and for all the young kids its a learning experience, how do the parents tell there children that they have to give up bowling due to they cant afford it when they have to pay rego for a year when they only bowl 2 games a week .I know off the private bowling centres there are still leagues running were they dont pay rego because its only fun to them

Some good points gonzo regarding membership deals.

Is there still " join a league and get some coaching free" still being offered anywhere ?

And John thankyou for the lengthy reply, whilst you bought the majority of your stuff online many new people will rely on the proshop especially for drilling. You have shown a good example of what one person could buy in 1 year. As for the wife the secret is safe with me. :)

how do the parents tell there children that they have to give up bowling due to they cant afford it when they have to pay rego for a year when they only bowl 2 games a week.

The same way they tell their kids they can't play AFL/Cricket/Soccer/Tennis/Basketball etc because they have to pay a much higher registration fee for only 9 months of sport. Oh wait, they don't have a problem with that because that's a REAL sport where as league bowling is just mucking around! Lets not forget, those other sports still charge a registration fee for your under 6's to play games where it is a learning experience and there are no winners of losers. Registration for a sport is a fact of life. Perhaps the idea of compulsory registration hits a few nerves with people who view it as just a fun hobby, but it might help change perceptions. Those who just want to treat it as a hobby can bowl socially without registration the same way they can go kick a football around with mates.

Imagine as a kid seeing a bit of advertising a couple of months before the Australian open was on, walking into your local AMF center seeing a banner "AUSTRALIAN OPEN" a picture of a couple of bowlers, flashing lights.
Having this in every center, the same for the Melbourne Cup and likewise for other States. Wouldnt cost too much .... Thats how i got hooked when i was 10.
Kind of comes back to what ROYSA was saying about centers not being interested !!

This has been discussed on here on many levels and I'm glad its been revisited

I stated some time ago that IMO in 10 years this sport will not exist in Australia unless some thing is done
Sure will will have The bars with bowling lanes in them like they have in Melbourne but this creates the impression the sport is just a muck around thing as Phluff stated

IMO Bocce is the sport that will take over much to my (and many others)discussed

Why????
As Bocce is a relatively new sport is currently has something like 16 centres in Victoria alone
Locally They are really pushing the sport at the primary school level mainly thought The Active after school program

I learned this after my 8yo daughter came home from school raving about her experiences playing bocce (yes she does tenpin bowl in the under 10s league but only raves when she does well)

I asked locally why TenPin bowling isn't included inthe program only to be told yeah been meaning to look into that but who's got time. (interestingly one of our coaches is a accredited in the program)

The Saga continues

Back
Top Bottom