How good do you have to be to play in a Tournament?

P

_pinkgl0w

I know this is a broad question, and l know there is no definate answer like "You have to get over 217 pins average in order to play in a tourney"

Just curious, thats all.

My game is starting to get better, and l came close to beating the best guy in our league last Tuesday in one game out of 3. (His handicap is around eight) l lost by about 5-10 pins from memory.

Now, my game isn't constant, and l'm practising on that.

Or do you all suggest l be a spectator for l while until l'm confident with my bowling ability?

I guess it depends on the tournament. There are some tournaments out there that cater for handicap bowlers exclusively, some that cater for both, and some that cater for scratch players. I would suggest you get yourself a good coach (a list of registered coaches should be on the TBA website - or just ask around) and practice, practice, practice. Bowl in some local stuff - some handicap ones are a reasonable start and then try your hand out in some others depending on how you go.

Above all else, have fun while you're doing it. :D :D

Or do you all suggest l be a spectator for l while until l'm confident with my bowling ability?
Bowling in tournaments can only improve your ability as a bowler in my opinion.
I agree that practise is important but exposure to the tournament environment can only add to your experience as a bowler.
All the practise in the world will not be much use if you crack under the pressure of the tournament experience.
Expose yourself to it early and remember to take something away from every tournament outing.
Good Luck!! ;)

All the practise in the world will not be much use if you crack under the pressure of the tournament experience.
Expose yourself to it early and remember to take something away from every tournament outing.

I agree with Trouss. Only one person can win. They tend to be the best bowler or someone who is having a purple patch. I would suggest that you enter handicap tournaments and get used to the atmosphere.
When I first started it was the nerves created by being out of my normal league environment that defeated me. Few more competitions and I started to perform as I knew I could. Stay local, start off by playing at events in your own centre. Above all, don't take it too seriously, have fun.
Best of luck

All good advice and do not get disheartened if you do get whitwashed, just pick yourself up learn from the experience and move on

Stay local, start off by playing at events in your own centre. Above all, don't take it too seriously, have fun.
Best of luck

I have only seen one event at my local centre - Mt Druitt, so how would l know if they have future events coming up, just ask?

Would they have a handicapped tournament coming up in 2007?:confused:

Just ask in the centre (they normally have something coming up) or keep checking on TotalBowling. Even poke your head into other centres to see what they have coming up.

I have only seen one event at my local centre - Mt Druitt, so how would l know if they have future events coming up, just ask?
Would they have a handicapped tournament coming up in 2007?:confused:

I know just how you feel. I am starved for competition at my local centre. Last year i played tournaments in Orange, Liverpool & Coffs Harbour because all my local centre (Tamworth) had was a measly no-tap tournament.
A few years ago i got a tournament list from Parramatta (now closed) and they had 21 tournaments in the year!...i was so annoyed with my local centre that we only had one or two.

I wish i had more local tournaments to play, gets expensive going away so often.

I started play tournaments when my average was only about 150-odd and mainly graded all-event tournaments. I am not a fan of handicap tournaments, i prefer graded.

Tournament play is certainly a good way to get better. I find tournaments have a much different feel to league. There is a different pressure. You only get one chance in a tournament as in league you can come back the next week and make up for a bad week.

Pinkglow,

There is a tournament that is run on a monthly basis out of fairfield.
It is called The St Leonards club. the next tournament is on this sunday, I'll Pm you with the details.

Richard.

Pinkglow,
There is a tournament that is run on a monthly basis out of fairfield.
It is called The St Leonards club. the next tournament is on this sunday, I'll Pm you with the details.
Richard.

Haha, my mistake - l thought you meant it was at st leonards!

Not a problem with Fairfield, l know how to get there, would parking be a problem or is there enough at this bowling centre?

Haha, my mistake - l thought you meant it was at st leonards!
Not a problem with Fairfield, l know how to get there, would parking be a problem or is there enough at this bowling centre?

Ooh...parking at Fairfield! Do it at your own risk. The carpark is a magnet for the local drug addicts as they scope out vehicles and their contents while their owners are occupied inside. I won't bowl there for that reason.

I actually felt like my car was in less danger when it was in the carpark in Ipswich.

Erm...good luck though :)

aphelion - thanks for the warning, but l'd rather park it there than Bankstown!

Ooh...parking at Fairfield! Do it at your own risk. The carpark is a magnet for the local drug addicts as they scope out vehicles and their contents while their owners are occupied inside. I won't bowl there for that reason.
I actually felt like my car was in less danger when it was in the carpark in Ipswich.
Erm...good luck though :)

You're just saying that so we don't think it's you doing it.. I'm onto you Greg.. ;)

Back
Top Bottom