Hmmm, something doesn't add up.....

Dont get me wrong, I did receive a reply. TBA does what it does and however it wants, I think that's the original valid point Michael was trying to question.
Who would care if people were getting a reply or not, if the sport was going gang busters and bowling was going ahead instead of backwards, nobody would need to ask these sort of questions in the first place

I think no matter who holds the top position at TBA, everyone will still have their rant. I don't envy anyone that works for TBA, I myself would hate to hold the position, as no matter what that person in that position tries to do, they will never end up pleasing everyone. Sorry Mick got a little side tracked, but to your post now ;)

Doesn't happen like that. I needed several questions answered at one time and couldn't even get a phone call back from her.
Then speak to your TBA State Board member and ask them to find out. Cara will answer questions when asked. You may not like the answer like most of us don't but hey that's life

Why is it that people think they can just pick up the phone and call the CEO?

Is it me or is there a lack of respect for the CEO of TBA. If you have an issue with a local council event do you pick up the phone and call the Prime Minister of Australia? No you don’t, there are appropriate channels that you must follow.

You may not like her choices or like her as a person but there needs to be some respect for the position she holds and what she is trying to achieve for our sport.

Maybe if people spent less time calling, emailing her directly she would have more time to work on improving and increasing the sustainability of our game.
YES And I agree. Maybe I wrote that wrong. What I mean is find out the answer from the TBA directly you can do that. Speak to your State Board and ask them to get the answers you want... Cara will answer State asked questions

Bowling has had National Body since 1961(sure it went broke once, why not with past officials on the gravy train... trips on the Concord for God's sake), ranks up near Golf as a popular sport.
There are 1500 Golf Clubs in Australia and most are owned by members. Bowling on the other hand, has a huge social play to bolster incomes, can be played in the dark when golf courses are black , bowling is roaring when it's raining while golf has only puddles on their courses..
but
apparently Bowling's National Body can not see any possibility of bowlers owning a Centre, where National Championships/ Major Tournaments and Coaching Programs could be run as a centre of excellence. A place where the Sports Head office could occupy space or even a place where the Sport could be showcased.

If such a place existed, Mick's original question would not have been needed to be asked. The Nationals could be the envy of many sports, something that would in itself, attract more people to the sport.

The sport could start with one centre in Melb or Syd and the profits could quickly fund an expanding network of establishments in every capital city. A network that could set standards and influence prices over non-club owned commercial operations.
In my opinion, your National Body is pissing around shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic with their aims and goals, meanwhile genuine opportunities are ignored, decade after decade

There , had my dummy spit and feel better... anyone is welcome to take your best shot.

Mistagear,

Usually I don't communicate with people who only use pseudonyms - in your case however I will make an exception. Given your comments may be reasonably interpreted as meaning any past official of any tenpin bowling organisation in this country was "on the gravy train".

Please advise as follows:

The names of those "past officials on the gravy train"? Please provide documented and substantiated facts to support your comments.

The names of those officials who [took] "trips on the Concord"? Please provide documented and substantiated facts to support your comments that proves any such travel was undertaken by means other than by private finances.

Stephen Jones

Mistagear,

Usually I don't communicate with people who only use pseudonyms - in your case however I will make an exception. Given your comments may be reasonably interpreted as meaning any past official of any tenpin bowling organisation in this country was "on the gravy train".

The names of those "past officials on the gravy train"? Please provide documented and substantiated facts to support your comments.

The names of those officials who [took] "trips on the Concord"? Please provide documented and substantiated facts to support your comments that proves any such travel was undertaken by means other than by private finances.

Stephen Jones

Stephen Jones, I agree 100%!

Mistagear,

Stephen Jones

Steve,
I did not intend to mean all officials and my comment refered to ATBC era, not TBA. It was a long time ago and unfortunately I do not have evidence, so if you really insist on proof, I am happy to apologize for the comment. Does not mean that my assertion was incorrect , simply that I can not prove it.
I do unreservedly apologize to all the honest hard working officials who may have been upset over my comment, I know many who have given their time and efforts freely, for the good of the sport. ( My own Mother was a state president during the ATBC era )

So much tension in bowling isn't there.

So much anger. Lucky it's not a contact sport. ;)

So much tension in bowling isn't there.

So much anger. Lucky it's not a contact sport. ;)

No Roy, the reply to my post was fair enough, if anyone thought I meant every official and or any current people, then it's right I apologize for the misunderstanding.
Sad though that the main purpose of my post didnt even rate a comment.

Mistagear,

Stephen Jones
Your very defensive Stephen

Mistagear - thank you your comments - your reflections are appreciated. Your observation that I made no comment on the topic is very reasonable as well - sadly in my dotage I don't believe I would be able to contribute anything worthwhile. Modern problems in bowling require the application of modern minds - not background noise from people like me who tend to live in the past.

Geoff - yes I'm guilty of being very defensive on this subject. I will do what I can to defend countless people who gave of their time and energy for the betterment of this sport. As you will appreciate many of these people are no longer with us - so I will defend their good names and reputations when I believe they are being attacked - no matter how innocently - as it was in this instance. In my view the writer simply made the error of repeating ill informed gossip.

Something we have all been guilty of from time to time no doubt. I certainly have.

The issues you have before you are significant - it will take intelligent minds and boundless patience to reverse the decline of the sport.

Good luck.

Mistagear,

Stephen Jones

Haven't been on the site for a while, so am a late entry to the discussion. Steve, I've noticed before that whenever the demise of the ATBC is mentioned in any way, you come up with defensive reactions about the ATBC and / or critical comments of the actions which led to it's demise.
Let's be clear here. You and doubtless many ATBC honest, hard working functionaries were badly betrayed. They wern't betrayed by those who presided over the collapse of the ATBC. You were all betrayed by people above you.
How do I know? I was the one who removed the first stone in the foundations. How? -- By carrying out an investigation into missing money - some $3000+ missing from a local Association. The further my enquiries went, the stronger the smell.
I then went as a delegate ( don't remember the year ) to the AGM on the Gold Coast, where, after I opened the debate, more delegates queried the accounts, and the Auditors disclaimer. The matter 'exploded' from there. Proof of what Mistagear said? Probably not now. Plenty of it at the time ( including the Concorde ) I wish Roy West was still with us as the new body ( TBA ) sent Roy overseas as our representative shortly after the formation of TBA, and he was devastated about the things he uncovered, including the Concorde. He rang me on his return ( he and I had worked together to produce TBAs original constitution )
I don't think that anyone who ever had anything to do with Roy, on any level, would question his honesty and integrity, or his intelligence. As well as his wide bowling industry experience, being an experienced solicitor, he was also very aware of the need of evidence to back up assertions
You doubtless had the wrong thing done by you, Steve, but it was by insiders. If you must blame some 'outsider', blame me, but I'll still sleep OK at night.

Jim

Hi Jim -always good to hear from you.

I was overseas [and remained there for the best part of 9 years] when the change over of ATBC to TBA happened [actually I left in 1995 - so well before the "adjustment]. I appreciate your comments and possible reason for my sensitivity on the matter - but it had zero impact on me.

Doubtless a great many things occurred that necessitated the transition - and I am not naïve enough to think that everyone played with a straight [fiscal] bat. So when the time comes to detail the facts of the matter - well that time can't come soon enough in my view. Although opening old wounds is never a good thing when people and entities are trying to move forward.

However throwing a blanket over everyone is of course not the correct or accurate approach...and you will agree with this of course. So all I do is try to interact at times when I feel people might be dealing with the issues of that time far too generically - with a possible negative rub on those who can't defend themselves.

As I say in my earlier post Jim - in my view this instance [from Mistagear - God I wish I knew his/her name - calling someone by this "handle" is to me utterly idiotic] was purely innocent with no malice intended - at other times however comments from others have been far more specific and bordering on .............. well you know!

However - enough of this - it's time for me to pull my head in and let younger, wiser people try and put this sport back on the map.

Cheers Jim

Back
Top Bottom