Greater Harrisburg Open - Cara Wins 8th Career Pro Title

Graham

Staff member
Last weeks results from PWBA.COM - Also check out Cara's own website www.carahoneychurch.com and read the diary for her own view on her first Tour win for 2002.

HONEYCHURCH WINS GREATER HARRISBURG OPEN

18th June 2002 MECHANICSBURG, Pa. – It was a long time coming for Australian Cara Honeychurch. Appearing in her fourth televised final of the 2002 Professional Women’s Bowling Association season, Honeychurch won the Greater Harrisburg Open on Sunday after a 195-148 victory over Kim Terrell, Antioch, Calif. Honeychurch took home a first place check worth $10,500.

“The first title of the year is the toughest to win,” said Honeychurch. “I’m very relieved right now because I knew I had put myself in a good position to win and I did not want to give up that opportunity.”

Honeychurch entered the championships as the tournament’s top seed. The left-hander finished the 42-game prelims with a 15-8-1 record, a 229.26 average and a 10,094 pinfall.

Although her tournament week was filled with good fortune, Honeychurch got off a difficult start in her battle with Terrell. The eight-time titlest opened the match with a 7-10 split and then suffered a 4-6-7-10 split in the second frame.

Terrell, who bowled exceptionally in the opening shootout and semi-finals, also left an open frame in the first when she missed a 10-pin. Both players would mark in frames three thru five but in the sixth Terrell suffered a 7-10 split while Honeychurch continued to mark. A missed four-pin in the seventh by Terrell helped the Aussie to a 22-pin lead.

“I didn’t really miss the pocket much in the finals but my angle of entry kept me from striking,” said Terrell. “I thought I made a good shot when I missed the 10-pin. When I missed the four pin I was thinking too much about the 7-10 split.”

Terrell’s march to the finals came as a result of a 255-248-155 win over Anne Marie Duggan, Oklahoma City, Okla. and Kendra Gaines in the opening shootout. The 2002 Women’s International Bowling Congress Queens tournament winner put on an impressive show when she notched a 10-strike game including six straight to finish the match. Duggan was equally magnificent striking nine times.

In the semi-finals Terrell bested her road roommate Leanne Barrette, Pleasanton, Calif 237-186.

Barrette led the tournament in rounds three and four. The 23-time titlest was making her 90th televised appearance of her career.

For her second place finish Terrell cashed for $5,800. Barrette earned $4,000 and Gaines and Duggan claimed $3,200 and $2,800 respectively.

Sunday’s championship round was the third of five consecutive live ESPN telecasts. ESPN2 is scheduled to re-air the event on July 3 at 8:00 p.m. (eastern).

Mechanicsburg, PA - Championship-round results and their scores, earnings and playoff results in the Professional Women's Bowling Association's $65,000 Greater Harrisburg Open;

1. Cara Honeychurch, Australia, 195 -1 game- $10,500
2. Kim Terrell, Antioch, Calif., 640 -3 games- $5,800
3. Leanne Barrette, Pleasanton, Calif., 186 -1 game- $4,000
4. Kendra Gaines, Sebring, Fla., 155 -1 game- $3,200
5. Anne Marie Duggan, Edmond, Okla. – 248 -1 game- $2,800

Playoff Results:
Terrell def. Duggan and Gaines 255-248-155; Terrell def. Barrette 237-186;

Championship match:
Honeychurch def. Terrell 195-148.

Last weeks results from PWBA.COM - Also check out Cara's own website www.carahoneychurch.com and read the diary for her own view on her first Tour win for 2002.

HONEYCHURCH WINS GREATER HARRISBURG OPEN

18th June 2002 MECHANICSBURG, Pa. – It was a long time coming for Australian Cara Honeychurch. Appearing in her fourth televised final of the 2002 Professional Women’s Bowling Association season, Honeychurch won the Greater Harrisburg Open on Sunday after a 195-148 victory over Kim Terrell, Antioch, Calif. Honeychurch took home a first place check worth $10,500.

“The first title of the year is the toughest to win,” said Honeychurch. “I’m very relieved right now because I knew I had put myself in a good position to win and I did not want to give up that opportunity.”

Honeychurch entered the championships as the tournament’s top seed. The left-hander finished the 42-game prelims with a 15-8-1 record, a 229.26 average and a 10,094 pinfall.

Although her tournament week was filled with good fortune, Honeychurch got off a difficult start in her battle with Terrell. The eight-time titlest opened the match with a 7-10 split and then suffered a 4-6-7-10 split in the second frame.

Terrell, who bowled exceptionally in the opening shootout and semi-finals, also left an open frame in the first when she missed a 10-pin. Both players would mark in frames three thru five but in the sixth Terrell suffered a 7-10 split while Honeychurch continued to mark. A missed four-pin in the seventh by Terrell helped the Aussie to a 22-pin lead.

“I didn’t really miss the pocket much in the finals but my angle of entry kept me from striking,” said Terrell. “I thought I made a good shot when I missed the 10-pin. When I missed the four pin I was thinking too much about the 7-10 split.”

Terrell’s march to the finals came as a result of a 255-248-155 win over Anne Marie Duggan, Oklahoma City, Okla. and Kendra Gaines in the opening shootout. The 2002 Women’s International Bowling Congress Queens tournament winner put on an impressive show when she notched a 10-strike game including six straight to finish the match. Duggan was equally magnificent striking nine times.

In the semi-finals Terrell bested her road roommate Leanne Barrette, Pleasanton, Calif 237-186.

Barrette led the tournament in rounds three and four. The 23-time titlest was making her 90th televised appearance of her career.

For her second place finish Terrell cashed for $5,800. Barrette earned $4,000 and Gaines and Duggan claimed $3,200 and $2,800 respectively.

Sunday’s championship round was the third of five consecutive live ESPN telecasts. ESPN2 is scheduled to re-air the event on July 3 at 8:00 p.m. (eastern).

Mechanicsburg, PA - Championship-round results and their scores, earnings and playoff results in the Professional Women's Bowling Association's $65,000 Greater Harrisburg Open;

1. Cara Honeychurch, Australia, 195 -1 game- $10,500
2. Kim Terrell, Antioch, Calif., 640 -3 games- $5,800
3. Leanne Barrette, Pleasanton, Calif., 186 -1 game- $4,000
4. Kendra Gaines, Sebring, Fla., 155 -1 game- $3,200
5. Anne Marie Duggan, Edmond, Okla. – 248 -1 game- $2,800

Playoff Results:
Terrell def. Duggan and Gaines 255-248-155; Terrell def. Barrette 237-186;

Championship match:
Honeychurch def. Terrell 195-148.

Back
Top Bottom