CARA .... results from the States

wchester

Bowling Tragic
HONEYCHURCH PREVAILS IN $50,000 SPORT BOWLING CHALLENGE

ST. CLAIR SHORES, Mich. – Cara Honeychurch of Australia picked up her second title of 2001 and fifth in her career by defeating Brenda Norman, Indianapolis, 206-189, for the $50,000 Sport Bowling Challenge championship.

Honeychurch overcame a missed 3-9 spare conversion in her third frame and recorded two doubles en route to the $9,000 first prize. Norman, who defeated Carolyn Dorin-Ballard of N. Richland Hills, Texas, in the semifinal game, 240-236, was railroaded by the 7-10 split in the seventh frame and a missed spare in the eighth. She had led the match prior to leaving the 7-10 split.

Honeychurch, who’s been battling an infection the past four weeks, said that the victory turned the week around for her. “In addition to the infection, our rental car was broken into last week, and then the rental company decided to repossess it. So we’ve had to depend a lot on the kindness of the PWBA family the past few days to get around from one place to another.

“I’ve gotten tremendous help this week and all swing from [Ebonite’s] Del Ballard Jr., not only with bowling equipment but with my mental game. Because he’s a bowler, he knows how things can affect your concentration and he’s helped me to stay focused despite all the distractions. My husband, Jim, also was a tremendous help tonight. After the first couple of shots during the championship match, he told me to roll the ball and be sure with my shots. That was key for me tonight.”

Norman, whose second-place finish was her highest ever on the PWBA tour, was pleased with her performance against 2001’s top two performers.”I knew I had to make good shots to defeat Carolyn, because she’s so determined when she’s competing. But Cara is just as determined, so I don’t think I Iet up at all after the match with Carolyn. I’m very pleased with how I bowled.”

Norman took home $4,800 for finishing second, while Dorin-Ballard, who was denied a record fourth consecutive pro title, won $3,000. Cathy Dorin-Lizzi, Linden, N.J., and Kim Terrell, Daly City, Calif., who finished fourth and fifth after falling to Norman in the opening round shootout, 225-178-172, took home $2,500 and $2,200, respectively.

The championship round of the $50,000 Sport Bowling Challenge will be broadcast on ESPN2 Monday, July 16, at 9 p.m. and re-aired Wednesday, July 18, at 1 p.m. (all TV times are Eastern). The next stop on the PWBA 2001 Spring/Summer Tour is Lexington, Ky., for the July 15-19 $100,000 Lady Ebonite Kentucky Classic.

ST. CLAIR SHORES, Mich. –Championship round results, scores, earnings and playoff results in the Professional Women's Bowling Association's

$50,000 Sport Bowling Challenge:

1. Cara Honeychurch, Australia, 206 -1 game- $9,000

2. Brenda Norman, Indianapolis, Ind., 644 -3 games- $4,800

3. Carolyn Dorin-Ballard, N. Richland Hills, Texas, 236 -1 game- $3,000

4. Cathy Dorin-Lizzi, Linden, N.J., 178 -1 game- $2,500

5. Kim Terrell, Daly City, Calif., 172 -1 game- $2,200

Playoff Results: Norman def. Dorin-Lizzi and Terrell, 225-178-172; Norman def. Dorin-Ballard, 240-236; Honeychurch def. Norman, 206-179.

#####

Here we go again......

HONEYCHURCH SWEETENS LEAD AT $75,000 LADY EBONITE KENTUCKY CLASSIC

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Australia’s Cara Honeychurch began to run away and hide from the rest of the field Wednesday morning during the second round of match play at the $75,000 Lady Ebonite Kentucky Classic, underway at Collins Bowling Center Eastland.

The 2000 PWBA Rookie of the Year moved out to a 318-pin lead over second-place Tish Johnson, Northridge, Calif., by improving her match play record to 11-4-1 and total pinfall to 7,791. Honeychurch is averaging 219.00, compared to Johnson’s 210.08.

“I drilled a new ball following Tuesday night’s round, the same type of particle ball as I used Tuesday but with a different drilling and more top weight,” Honeychurch said. “I wanted it to go a little longer through the head of the lane, but keep the same arc pattern, and it did exactly what I wanted it to do. Even better, it had great pin carry. I probably bowled as well Wednesday morning as I have all week, but I had much better carry for this round.”

I wonder if this will be the next headline?

BRUNSWICK SACKS THROBOT, HIRES HONEYCHURCH

icon_eek.gif

Simply amazing ! Maybe PWBA Bowler Of The Year ?? Anything is possible !!

I've been told Cara reads this forum once a week while on tour so if anyone wants to leave a message, congratulate her or say hi - she will probably see it !

LEXINGTON, Ky. –Championship round results, scores, earnings and playoff results in the Professional Women's Bowling Association's

$100,000 Lady Ebonite Kentucky Classic:

1. Leanne Barrette, Pleasanton, Calif., 659 -3 games- $11,000

2. Cara Honeychurch, Australia, 177 -1 game- $6,000

3. Carolyn Dorin-Ballard, N. Richland Hills, Texas, 209 -1 game- $4,700

4. Kendra Gaines, Sebring, Fla., 204 -1 game- $3,700

5. Tish Johnson, Northridge, Calif., 189 -1 game- $3,000

Playoff Results: Barrette def. Gaines and Johnson, 236-204-189; Barrette def. Dorin-Ballard, 219-209; Barrette def. Honeychurch, 204-177.

Unfortunetly no win, and there is a long way to go to catch Carolyn in the B.O.Y. award. But with 8/11 TV finals she is still doing pretty well. Go the aussies!!!!

this concludes the first swing on the PWBA tour, Cara is coming home for a break and she will return in 6 weeks time. Let's hope she doesn't bowl the NSW open, LOL

I hope the Victorian Government and/or the City of Melbourne are going to give Cara a ticker-tape parade when she arrives back home
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

Hey George,

The fact that our Aussie Super Star (aka Cara Honeychurch) is coming home for 6 weeks poses no threat to you winning back-to-back Super 6 Tournaments. The NSW Open has separate Men's and Women's Divisions, so that's one Lefty you don't have to worry about
icon_smile.gif

It will be interesting to see how AMF handles the Super 6 points. I am assuming they will award a full suite of points in each Division, i.e. the winners of the Men's and Women's Divisions will each receive 100 points and so on down through the places. Does anyone know for sure?

George, I'll see you at Bankstown, if not before. Safe flight home.

Back
Top Bottom