For all the complainers out there

Temporarily in the UK - 8 weeks so far. Bowl regularly at two different alleys in large towns - Crawley and Tunbridge Wells. Both alleys are reasonably large, one has 24 synthetic lanes, the other has 26 synthetics.

Neither sell any kind of bowlers supplies whatsoever. I asked for white tape at both alleys. One didn't know what I was talking about, the other kindly offered me a plaster :( Every alley I've been to in SA has a stock of basic supplies. I'm stunned that the UK doesn't.

It's easy to whinge about conditions and the state of centres in Aus however at least they offer bowlers the basics and from my experience they all do it reasonably well. The UK alleys may look all clean and modern and well kept etc but if you can't even buy tape.....

Back in Aus 10th Oct. Cant wait.

Do you think thats Bad, how about this, I Bowled in the 1982 Australian Masters, representing NSW, at The Golden Bowl Camberwell, I needed to ease my Thumb hole in my newly drilled Ball, guess what the Pro-Shop wasn't opened, because of the Nationals. I had spare white tape. I just missed the top 10, because I missed a couple of 10 pins, due to the thumb sticking.

willey

Try bowling at a center that gives you pin burns two weeks running!! On the same ball!

Try bowling at a center that gives you pin burns two weeks running!! On the same ball!
I'm hearing ya. I just recently bought some very new second hand gear (3 balls in total) only to have a centre i bowl in pin burn one (looks like a giant nike tick) and severly scratch another in a big round circle. The third ball i don't dare bowl with there anymore as it's the only good one i have left.
The sad part is the same thing has happened to my team mates and a few other bowlers.
Puss

This thread dissapoints me greatly.
The subject promises, "For all the complainers out there"
Yet, there is nothing here for me.

O/K you've got me, what are Pin Burns, seeing as I worked in Bowling Centres for 36 years you would think I knew but I have never heard of that term used, or what it applies to.

willey

No such thing exists . But i know the marks that occur on the ball are quite nasty and deep . Have not had that problem at Sunshine but did get it at Footscray . I think the burn marks come from friction with the carpet or kickers .Cheers Ralph .

As for the pin burn on my ball - the technician that works there told me that is what it was......

Must be a new phenomenon in the pinsetters, as I`ve never heard of a
pin burn. Is that where you build a fire with pins to keep you warm on a
cold night.

Must be a new phenomenon in the pinsetters, as I`ve never heard of a
pin burn. Is that where you build a fire with pins to keep you warm on a
cold night.
I am not saying whether it exists or not as i have no idea but if it doesn't then the centre i bowl in needs some new technicians as that is what they told me it was.....

I've had it happen to a couple of my balls in the past. I've always called it carpet burn as it's caused by the ball usually getting caught under the bottom bar of the sheet (the part that stops the ball going through but allows the pins). It sits there long enough to get so hot it literally heats the ball up enough that damage done can be quite severe.

It usually has little grooves in the gouge. Har to explain, but for anyone that has had a ball come back like that they know what I'm talking about.

My guess is that it's a maintenance issue.

pin burn. when a pin stops a ball from entering the ball lift (in our machines) and pin and ball turn against each other, pins get plastic burnt off them and balls get the coverstock damaged. does happen (espec to brand new balls hey rob.)

Get rid of the carpet, there is plenty of other stuff out there for your ball wheels to stop that sort of stuff or at least limit it to a one in a blue moon thing.
Just my thought.

Back
Top Bottom