Entering tournaments

Hi all

At what stage do you normally think about entering tournaments?

Do you wait until you have a decent average?
Do you just think "what the hell" and wanna see what's what?

Above said, do you care if you finish last? Do you gain anything by the experience, do you lose anything by the experience, is the experience worthwhile?

To me it is a learning curve, it does not matter if you are new to the game or a old pro, it is how you bowl on the day

Thinking back to my "beginnings" (long before TBA website was introduced) when I saw an entry form appear in my bowling centre, or heard an announcement about an inhouse tournament - that's when I started thinking about tournaments. It didnt matter to me what average I had, I just wanted to bowl with good bowlers, and learn from the experience which apparently worked for me.
I am not able to bowl at the moment, but went along to watch my league bowling tonight. The more competitive league who usually bowl alongside us were not there - they were having a couple of weeks off because most of them were going away to the Nationals.
Sadly, most of the people in my league did not know the Nationals was being held, they dont have the internet, know anything about TBA websites, and there were no entry forms in the centre or any announcements made at any time about the upcoming Nationals.
Is this the way we promote our sport and increase interest in our National Tournament? A sad reflection on the way bowling is heading dont you think?
Somewhere along the journey, we seem to have taken the wrong turning.

I started bowling in major scratch tournaments after I'd been bowling for 4 years. I've learnt stacks, and made my first cut at a youth tournament after 6 years in the sport (2 years bowling major tournaments), after missing one of the matchplay cuts by 10 pins earlier in the year. You learn from that when it is your last shot that costs you a finals spot.

It depends what you want to gain out of a particular tournament - if you want just experience of "the big league", by all means enter. If it's scratch, I wouldn't set hopes on winning if you've only been bowling a short time, or average 160. The way I see it.. to be a fringe cut tournament player, 190-200 average will put you in a top 30 ballpark if you bowl well, but to be able to consistantly cut it at tournament level (at least nationally) - 210+ depending on your centre.

Sometimes that can be a good idea, but maybe go down and have a look around the year before you decide to enter - it's a very different environment. Don't forget to give way two lanes..

Above said, do you care if you finish last?
Frankly, no. But I like to bowl well, so if I do that then generally I'm happy. Making a cut is a bonus, helps you understand what's required to do it more often.

Do you gain anything by the experience, do you lose anything by the experience, is the experience worthwhile?

Absolutely you gain from the experience - you gain experience which in itself, if you take lessons from it and apply it to your game, which is priceless. People keep saying how $300 to enter a national tournament is expensive experience.. as far as I see it, you can't put a price on experience if you want to be the best. It is going to take a lot of "donations" before you gain the knowledge necessary and experience to cut at a major event, and then winning often takes longer again. It's a process, and success is unlikely overnight. Unless you are really emotionally fragile or have massive self confidence issues, then you stand to lose nothing from the experience, except the entry fee the first few times. The experience is as I said, priceless, if you want to be the best.

I started to enter a few more tournaments after being a state rep for 2 years. I realised that if I wanted to better myself and gain experience I would need to do it. This year has definatly been my biggest year for tournaments, bowling a number of national events (including adult and junior nationals - Shield and Rachuig) and a mix of junior, youth and adult tournaments.

My average at the moment is actually pretty poor I think. Its not stopping me going out there and giving it a go though. I first rolled off for a state team while I held a league average of something in the 147-153 range.
I believe that even lower average bowlers should enter some form of major event to start gaining experience if they wish to become a good (or better) bowler.

Sometimes I do. Although this year for me has been because I love the game, I want to be better and I want experience, which I think is a necessity to become a good bowler.

Above said, do you care if you finish last?
I do care because I dont wanna see my name at the bottom. However if I do finish last, or I dont cut I sit back and look at how I averaged and think about my performance - sparing, where I lacked skills and knowledge etc.

Do you gain anything by the experience, do you lose anything by the experience, is the experience worthwhile?
The experience of bowling tournaments is definatly worthwhile. I think the only thing I lose is money, but you can get that back eventually.

Back
Top Bottom