Drive from Melbourne to Perth

scooter

Sorry to go off topic guys as this is not bolwing related.

But Im leaving on the boat from Tassie this Friday, spending a few nights in Melbourne then driving over to Perth ..... and presuming I like it Im staying!

Just wondering whether anyone has done part or all of the drive and can offer some advice as to when and where to stop etc. Im not going to be in a hurry to get over there and plan to 5-8 days to get there. Am going to drive Melbourne to Adelaide the first day, but no idea after that and if anyone can recommend places to stop and sleepover/look around that would be greatly appreciated.

Send me a PM or an email - [email protected] if you think you can help.

Thanks in advance.

Oh my you're a brave boy!

Thats one big trek you got going on there matey. I've done Darwin to Alice before and it really takes it out of you. Just remember buddy, drive safe, and don't get too fatigued!

Sorry dont have any info on places to stop just thought itd be interesting ya know...

In 1990 I did Adelaide to Perth in 2 days with an overnight stop at the Border Village. Started 6am and drove til 7pm day 1, cos I wanted to be off the road before the roos became a factor at night. Left next morning at 7am and arrived in Perth about 10pm that night. Had the advantage of a 2nd driver so we just swapped seats and kept going.

If you are on your own then it will take longer because it is the most boring drive you will ever do and you will need lots of rest stops. Usually plenty of police patrols along that stretch too.

Hey mate,
I did that drive a little over a year ago, Brenton is way off the mark, now it is a nice drive as there are more towns opened up, farms growing canola plants etc so the drive is good, not too many patrol cars because they are not interested in the average driver but complete idiots speeding at 150 km/h.
Fuel is cheapest on SA side of border, then it climbs a lot, amazingly nullarbor roadhouse is quite cheap, most places offer showers at $1 per person. There are a few little watering holes (rainwater tanks) with BBQ's undercover so take advantage of them, we stopped at about 9 or 10 as Roadhouses do not operate 24hrs a day usually closed by 11pm.
Madura is anice place, the park is under the cover of trees and if you want to look around there are some nice caves and gorges near by, now (17 yrs after Brenton) they have seen the need for sign posting things of interest (funny that) on the whole you will have anice comfortable trip with plenty of things to see, even the local towns now have modern shops as well as the customary oddments boutique.... enjoy the trip....

Hey mate.
Dont stop at Cocklebiddy You get jibbed on everything food, fuel and motel. I did the trek 2 weeks ago. I took 3 days with 2 night stops. There working on the freeway at the moment, so when you get to that bit its really slow.

Hey mate,
Give me a call when you get here:D
Would be good to catch up!
I've done the trip now 4 times....each time in 3 days....the last being 3 months ago from Sydney to here.
As the previous posts indicated...it's a good run except for the roadworks.
A bit of advice...get roo shoo whistles and stick them on your bumper. I've had them for my last 3 trips and never seen a roo even during sunrise.
Look forward to hopefully catching up,
Garry

Back
Top Bottom