Drinking during a tournament

Towie

The BIG BALD MAN
Can someone please tell me what the ruling is for drinking alcahol during a tournament please. I was in a bowler of the year tournament today. One of the players was constantly drinking rum while he was playing. This made him a bit on edge as rum does to some people. This ment that he was not giving right of way to other players walking onto the lane via the wrong side. When confronted about this he started to become abuseive to the people who were talking to him. Whan the centre employes were told about this he replyed that he was doing the rihgt thing and was the nicest guy you could find. Then he changed as soon as the bowl employes turned around and left. What made it worst is that he finished 3rd. I am not being a sore loser a lot of other people felt the same. Should he have been penalized or disqualified from the event. This makes it very hard to enjoy a tournament when this type of thing happens.

I don't know what the rules are but is the venue licenced to serve alcohol and during what times? I think that is pretty awful! I like a drink as much as the next person but think you should save it until you have finished bowling unless of course it is a fun tournie such as a 'booza bowl" or something....just my opinion!

were alcohol is seved it is up to the staff member to show a duty of care to to everyone there, if somebody is acting like that it is dangers t oeveryone You go tell the staff and there can refuse to serve him any more alchol

Which center was this at?

I wouldn't think an AMF center would allow it, but funnier things have happened!!!

hamster

It is my belief that in a SANCTIONED tournament, then you cannot consume alcohol, nor smoke, for the duration of the event. If it isn't sanctioned, then it could be a whole different ball game...........

Broni

often it comes down to the type of event and the rules allocated for each individual event. although this is said, it is a given that alcohol connot be consumed during play at any tournament ( that i have been to or heard of. this could be different for others, but likely isnt. )

Not saying which centre it is have got to much tied up there with the sport. Just can't understand if it was wrong WHY was there nothing said. I found it very unsportmanship (if that is the right way of stating it). If it is wrong can something be done now or is it to late? By the way I came 11th at the tournament so I am not gaining anything out of this. Except for self satisfaction in learning the correct rules.

Hey there Towie

In reply to the question of should or shouldn't the bowler have been disqualified. It would depend on whether the tournament was run with the intention that ALL TBA rules will be adhered to and apply whilst the tournament is running.

Therefore, the tournament director could have done something to the bowler given that he was in breech of RULE 502 and most definately RULE 512 of the TBA Rules.

OFFENCE 502 DEROGATORY CONDUCT
(a) Conducting himself or herself in a manner derogatory or prejudicial to the best interests of the game of tenpins
or to the objects of TBA. Including (but without limiting the generality of this provision) conduct prejudicial to
the good order and discipline of TBA.
(b) Placing the game of tenpins in jeopardy of unfair criticism by the use of dishonest or disreputable tactics in
connection with the game.
Suggested Penalty - not less than 1 month suspension of membership or suspension of membership or other penalty
for a period of time as deemed appropriate by the Local Association Board of Directors.

OFFENCE 512 TBA DRUGS IN SPORT POLICY
TBA have adopted an Anti-Doping Policy in conjunction with the Australian Sports Drug Agency and the Australian
Sports Commission. Copies of the Policy are available from TBA.
Suggested Penalty - Any person found to be in breach of the TBA Anti Doping Policy will be subject to the penalties
defined in that Policy.

Under the TBA Drugs in Sport Policy I would believe that Alcohol is a substance that isn't allowed to be consumed by any bowler whilst participating in the tournament. Nor is the bowler allowed to turn up to a tourmament intoxicated from the night before as this would be no different as if the bowler was consuming alcohol whilst bowling. This Policy I believe would extend to League as well, when bowling in a sanctioned league ALL TBA rules apply and that includes the 2 above. That means that those bowlers that consume alcohol whilst bowler are really breaching the TBA Rules (but I would like to see someone enforce that rule!!).

I would suggest reading the policy and the TBA Rules and see what you can find in relation to the actions that the bowler displayed. If the centre knew what they were doing then they shouldn't have sold any alcohol to the bowlers participating in the tournament. If the bowler brought it in with them, it should have been confiskated by the centre.

Lastly if the tournament wasn't a sanctioned event then the rules above have no power for that tournament. However, bowlers should be aware of those rules and so should the centre or at least the tournament director for that fact. Even if the tournament may not be sanctioned then the general playing rules still stand and so should those outlined in the TBA Rules.

Just my thoughts

THANKS

DAVID SNIEDZE:cool: :cool:

If it was a sanctioned tournament with all TBA Rules & Regs (which the entry form would state) in place I'm surprised no one had words with the TD immediately it came to notice, or that the TD didn't notice the signs himself.

Consuming alcohol during a tournament is a bit of a no-no, there was a player bowling here in a tournament a few years ago that was suffering badly from nerves who went to grab a scotch & coke to settle himself and was boldly told by the TD that if he took one swig he would be out of the tournament. He had to leave it up on the bench for after bowling had finished.

All depends on whether it was sanctioned or not.

drinking during an event to me is no biggie, In Moderation.

a couple of beers to take the edge off, or to relax the nerves abit is quite acceptable i beleive.

but going overboard to the point of drunkenness, and disruptive should be dealt with by the game officials !

cheers
Nath

Ice_Magik said:
drinking during an event to me is no biggie, In Moderation.
a couple of beers to take the edge off, or to relax the nerves abit is quite acceptable i beleive.
but going overboard to the point of drunkenness, and disruptive should be dealt with by the game officials !
cheers
Nath
The problem with "pissheads" is they can't stop after two drinks :rofl:

well i was bowling on the pair when this was happening, gift of where it happened. There was afair bit of alchol drunk by this guy, which in turn made him very agrovated. PLus as well as this happening during that specific 3 game block he was bouncing a bouncey ball around. i have no problems with this but when then he starts pulling pieces off and leaving them around the sitting area and a couple of pieces did get onto the approach. I stepped on one of them on my second step and nearly slipped over.

But when it was brought to the attention of the TD nothing was done.. Was not very impressed with that.

Chucky in another thread recently you mentioned there was nothing wrong with alcohol during league but as you've noticed now all it takes is one bad apple so disturb things. When you have 26 lanes of people bowling league everyone will notice that one loud and maybe abusive bowler that has been affected by alcohol. It holds the game is disrepute and becomes annoying to those around.
Whatever happened to the idea of sharing a couple after the game?
I'm all for having fun and its not about taking things seriously, just about respect.
Two cents worth.:) :) :)

scoreggia go back and reread the posts i have written before. No where have i stated that drinking during league is fine.. get facts straight before saying things.

Having a drink after league is fine, have so more then a couple of times.. No problems. But you know start bowling at 10am and drinking non stop till 2pm is crazy.

ice_Magik you said

I beleive if you look at the drugs ruling that is exactly why it should not be taken. It can be used as a relaxant and give you an edge over every one else.

How many people these days understand the meaning of "Drink in Moderation"?

Sorry Chucky but in the thread 'Tenpin bowling gets a MacMakeover......' you suggested that the bar at your centre is available to league bowlers however they don't have a problem there. I'm just thinking that it shouldn't be consumed during league play at all. Not even in moderation. Drinking during social play is one thing but during league is not so great for the sport.
Sorry if I got my facts wrong but that's how I read your post. My Bad.

Thanks for all the feed back guys. But by the looks of this there is nothing that can be done. I think all the complants fell on deaf ears. That is no disrespect to the person in charge that day. Think it was by a higher authority that nothing was done. The old not what you know but who you know!
Also I hear that the same person has theatend other people in his league and put the heavys on them so they won't make a complant. One of which was a Middle aged women who was threatend to be attacked by him and his mates in the carpark afterward the league had ended. The guttless wonder seems to only be picking on the people he can put it over a real big man to threaten a woman. Will be keeping a close eye on this piece of dog s..t in the future.
Once again thanks for all the advice will come in very handy.

Name a sport that drinking is permitted, look a the profile of the sport and you will find it on the slide.

If we take our sport as a sport we cant allow drinking during play.

If you want to drink and bowl, bowl socialy dont spoil it for everyone else.
Dont get me wrong i dont mind a drink but the right time and place.

As for the TD if it was to be played where TBA rules apply maybe he or she should get reported aswell as the person that drank but its too late now.

Lets get this sport up and going instead of the old picture of beer bellied people are the only ones that bowl.

I've never been big on any of the centres having a bar -- money revenue but it only takes one to spoil it for everyone else. Maybe if there are tournaments happening the bar is closed untill it has finished then there might not be problems like this happening again

Back
Top Bottom