Country Cup 2012

I agree with deano.....this sport is dying....wish I was bowling this year now to stir up a few teams.......chandler was the best at this....and gary your probably right only captain kerr will flog you this year.....

Its not that the sport is dying but just not sure what it is to be honest. Maybe could there be a review of CCup. Different format, maybe different venue, dates. Not sure what the answer is but i beleive that it needs to be looked at. The fierceness of competition isnt there like it was 10 years ago. Dont get me wrong i still rekon CCup is the best tournament full stop but i do beleive it does need to be looked at in some way.

Deano

Include the other country teams perhaps instead of the select few denying it to anyone else for all these years.

Why can't they be in? I know the obvious where certain people are only looking after their own self interest instead of the sport but what else stops them coming in?

Emerson Cup has a stronger field overall..why not see if a "VICTORIAN CENTRE CUP" championship can be run in place of the two events. Open it up to every centre in the state who wish to field a contending team....Being a big fish in a little pond just isn't very exciting or satisfying..let's see if the country boys have got what it takes to roll the city boys (and gals)

Yay counrty cup team fishing day and im stuck at work :( . . Good luck catching a few guys . . Oh and ps: if you decide to chop up Gary and put him in a yabby net you wont catch any coz they are total bowling members too and dont like him either . .

Its not that the sport is dying but just not sure what it is to be honest. Maybe could there be a review of CCup. Different format, maybe different venue, dates. Not sure what the answer is but i beleive that it needs to be looked at. The fierceness of competition isnt there like it was 10 years ago. Dont get me wrong i still rekon CCup is the best tournament full stop but i do beleive it does need to be looked at in some way.

Deano
Atmosphere has gone compared to ten years ago. Everyone used to take a bus load of people and often half of them were the cheer squad. Now it is pretty much just the players = less atmosphere

We used to come in an hour or so before our block and support the women, now you come in an hour before and you watch the oiling machine go up and down the lanes. You don't get to see the rest of your team bowl (unless you spend half the weekend in the bowl) = less atmosphere

Country cup used to be the only event on the calendar, if you stuffed up you had to wait the whole year to make amends. Now you have emerson, senior shield, junior emerson, junior country cup, senior goldpin -- more events -- has diluted that one weekend -- makes it less important than it used to be.

The social side is not what it used to be either, you used to get two and three teams staying at the same motel and would get together during non bowling times. It seems these days you usually have the whole motel to yourselves so you don't get the same social scene as you used to. I think teams also tend to stick together more than they used to as well -- a lot of pressure around "team culture" etc... plus too many codes of conducts taking away some of the fun aspect - making it too serious.

These are some of the reasons why i think Country cup has lost some of its shine - it is still the best event going around -- just not quite what it was at its peak.

I think a lot of events are not what they used to be not just Ccup --- ask people what Rachuig was like 15-20 years ago compared to now. doesn't mean we need to make wholesale changes.... it is not broken... just slightly damaged...

I can't wait until the long weekend

Emerson Cup has a stronger field overall..why not see if a "VICTORIAN CENTRE CUP" championship can be run in place of the two events. Open it up to every centre in the state who wish to field a contending team....Being a big fish in a little pond just isn't very exciting or satisfying..let's see if the country boys have got what it takes to roll the city boys (and gals)
I think you are partly right Wayne. Emerson final is definitely stronger than country cup final but that is because a lot of weak teams get booted out in the zones. You have the best 8 teams from 16 teams that get to play the final so naturally the final will be stronger.

At the moment the city teams are stronger than the country teams but that will go in cycles.

you go first Dave..what do you think of the team?
I still drop in to the bowl every couple of weeks, so I'll say nothing more.

3 guys I dont know anything about, other guys can hold their own on any given day.
Ladies look to have some young bowlers as well as some that have performed well in the past.
Depth could be the problem, lets see if they prove that statement wrong.
Now as for you being in the bowl every week or two, I am obviously not, is the reason you actually go there why you wont comment

Who's brave enough to throw up the odds...
And who's brave enought to actually run a book ;)
Haha

I think Shepparton will win both divisions and have 8 in the All Star teams ..... their new manager / coach is doing wonders I hear.

Appearantly from #1 - Chase all the way down the list they are flying.;)

Rob

Thats more like the Country Cup forum from years gone by ;)
What ever happened to the Chubba v. Makind showdown...the one with Mr Socko...

bowlers might be leaving their trash talk til they get on the lanes
Bout time it got ugly on the lanes again, i remember all kinds of sick stuff that was said and done by alot of "colourful" individuals, loved every minute of it, Chris Carmody, Craig Chandler (had some great insights to what was going on in you head on the lanes), russell hinton, griffo, I may have been involved once or twice (hard to believe i know)

i just want to see some sledging and even some physicality back into it, that will spark up some interest again!!!

Bout time it got ugly on the lanes again, i remember all kinds of sick stuff that was said and done by alot of "colourful" individuals, loved every minute of it, Chris Carmody, Craig Chandler (had some great insights to what was going on in you head on the lanes), russell hinton, griffo, I may have been involved once or twice (hard to believe i know)

i just want to see some sledging and even some physicality back into it, that will spark up some interest again!!!

Agree with you all the way Motts, Its time to put some life back in the awesome event.

Thought I'd spark some conversation and throw up a market...

Mens Odds:

Warrnambool - Evens
Sunraysia 3-1
Shepparton 5-1
Geelong 6-1
Albury 8-1
Colac 11-1
Ballarat 16-1
Latrobe 21-1
Bendigo 26-1
Wodonga 51-1

This should get tongues wagging....
Few secrets to be spilled this week I think...

Here's a spark for ya !! . . Jason Way V Ray Martin . . Time head back into retirement old fella because your scalp number one, not enough room in this pond for any more big fish !! , especially the one that John West rejected . . ;) :cardY:

Back
Top Bottom