Conventional Grip

jimcross

Anyone on here, bowling, say, an average of 175 and over, still using a conventional, rather than fingertip grip ?

Yes Frank - true, but I was wondering if anyone has made a success of it to-day, when balls and lane prep and so on - like lane reading, and even manipulation- have the majority effect on scoring
In times when 'conventional' was common for lots of bowlers, what the bowler could make the ball do, had the majority effect on scoring - the lanes ( and balls too) had less influence overall.
I ask because I threw a couple of games with a 15lb. house ball a few days ago, and was surprised what could be done with it, and what little difference different lane conditions seemed to make.
Jim

John, I'm going to drill up a plastic and see how it goes. That is a 'house ball' that fits - seeing that the house ball that didn't fit did pretty well, who knows?

I know a guy who throws it pretty sweet with a conventional grip. I've been going to try this out for the last three months as I suspect I can decrease or maybe even invert my tilt this way. (Had a ball plugged ready to go since early December.) Maybe next trip I'll get off the mill before midnight and can let you know how it goes. Maybe that's wishful thinking too...

Hey Jim,

I know you have spoken in the past about how accurate you are at the arrows. Plastic, Reactive what ever grip you like, if you get the ball flush in the pocket, it will carry.

If a grip change means you hit the pocket flush more often, then why not give it a go. Bowling is about repeating a good shot, not how it looks on the rack.

Dead flush, yes, but the power of a reactive ball is the power to carry all the half pocket hits that used to be the advantage of the power player. (Back when you had to create your own power.) I'd drill a reactive ball conventional, personally.

I'd drill a reactive ball conventional, personally. In the fullness of time, Jason, I may well do both. Sort of 'creep up on it.' So far I like the ease of effecting consistancy of release.

Have drilled 15lb. plastic. Will use it to-night in league.

Is the ONLY ball i'm taking with me, so am forced to use it every shot. Will report results.

Well, nothing great to report. Just home from league. 190 first game with open 10th ( Greek Church.). Could'nt buy a strike in second - all spare game for 183. Lost it completely in the third - 4 splits, or maybe 5, including the 10th. for 144. Felt good, though, 'twas me, not the ball. John, I'm having more trouble every year with the absolute accuracy I just took for granted. Missed target prob 4 or 5 times to-night

Nothing to be a shamed of Jim. I am lucky to hit my spot four or five times a night.

Did you find that the plastic was squirming away from your spot down lane. A reactive will hold line better giving you a little more room.

Back
Top Bottom