Reactive Ball With Conventional Grip?

The Butcher

Hi,

Just wanted to get some advice, and thank you for accepting my registration.

I've been bowling now for two years, and average in the high 150's. I started off with a 10lb plastic ball (which ended up cracking), and then moved to a fingertip grip & 13lb Storm IQ Tour Fusion, but in the process of learning how to hook, I injured my wrist...

I bowl in two leagues a week, and so, to keep bowling, went back to a 9lb Storm Black Ice (conventional grip) while my wrist recovered, and in the process nailed some all-time high games and series (200+ games and 500+ series).

Eventually, the wrist healed and the 9lb became too light, so I went back to my IQ Tour Fusion with little to no problems. However, after experiencing a rut with my bowling just over a month ago, I started bowling with a 13lb house ball, and found something very interesting.....

Not only did my average increase by 10 pins, but my action was completely different with good follow-through (where with the IQ I had very minimal to no follow-through).

My local Pro Shop has now suggested I buy a Storm Rocket, drill it Pin Down, but with a Conventional grip, so that I get a consistent release with good follow-through, and they say that drilling it Pin Down / Conventional should give the ball just enough hook to curve calmly into the pocket and give me good pin carry because the ball has a decent core....

Does this sound plausible and correct?

My two highest series' scores of 572 & 547 were bowled with house balls (12lb & 13lb), and my bowling action is ten times more comfortable bowling conventional, so if possible I would like to stick to that....

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Butcher,

I am just a house hack, I but I have suffered from wrist issues in the past.

I Suggest you Buy your self a wrist device like Storm gizmo for example, which will take all the weight off your wrist and give you a consistent roll and better pin action & with that in mind I would go finger tip with a solid reactive cover stock ball drilled with a nice arcing motion and easy to control.cheers mate

Thanks for the reply GraftonGez, but I have tried wrist supports in the past, albeit nothing anywhere as pro as the Storm Gizmo.......I've currently tried the Storm Forecast, a Master Power Paw, and an Enforcer.

The Power Paw was fantastic at teaching me muscle memory when learning to hook (after I'd already injured my wrist), but I have a feeling it also taught me not to follow-through with a fingertip grip, as my swing now literally stops as my hand passes my foot after the backswing when bowling fingertip....

I have thought about getting the Gizmo before but all the pro shops in SA keep very little stock and I can't try one on and figure out what size I need (no point buying it unless someone can show me how to use it properly)...

Thanks for the reply GraftonGez, but I have tried wrist supports in the past, albeit nothing anywhere as pro as the Storm Gizmo.......I've currently tried the Storm Forecast, a Master Power Paw, and an Enforcer.

The Power Paw was fantastic at teaching me muscle memory when learning to hook (after I'd already injured my wrist), but I have a feeling it also taught me not to follow-through with a fingertip grip, as my swing now literally stops as my hand passes my foot after the backswing when bowling fingertip....

I have thought about getting the Gizmo before but all the pro shops in SA keep very little stock and I can't try one on and figure out what size I need (no point buying it unless someone can show me how to use it properly)...

Get a certified coach and they could probably straighten out that problem pretty quick, also USBC academy is a great place to look aswell, best of luck in the future

Hi I use a wrist guard not through choice as I find it extremely uncomfortable but due my wrist strength not fully returning after carpel tunnel operation it is now necessary. Currently using a lane 1 rob by rev 2 style but have bought a rob by rev 1 to try. They haven't stopped my follow through but I find that my ball speed is slower but that may just be me.i don't really crank up the wrist or bend it but when I play with it I am more consistent on the delivery

Hey,

It would be a bit hard to offer some solid advice without seeing some front and behind video footage of yourself.
I am interested to know if you are a two finger bowler, or do you place your thumb in the ball

Back
Top Bottom