Conventional or Finger Tip

SCOOPS

GUINNESS SWILLUS
Hers a quick question

Should a brand new bowler be drilled their very first ball fingertip or conventional?

Please indicate perhaps ages, sizes, natural abilities as much different circumstances as you can

Personally I think the more adaptable the person is the early they should be given a fingertip ball, certainly the younger the better, buts that just my personal belief.

Be very interested to hear everyone elses ideas.

Reasons for and against

Well a good mate of mine has taken up bowling for bout a month now, and i have given him one of my old balls which is now far to light for me. I use 16lbs now and some of my first bowling balls were 13-4lb.

I know that my mate (who is 18, averages about 130 and has been bowling a month) is going to get that ball drilled fingertip the minute it gets plugged and he has time.

I think his philosophy to bowling sums up this decision best. "Bowling is hard enough to get right, might as well get my equipment as correct as possible"

Why waste weeks adjusting to fingertip once you've been bowling for a while when you can get it over and done with and focus on more important areas of your bowling??

Fingertip all the way

In the sane book..there are only two types of drillings...semi finger tip..and finger tip.
You suggest the conventional grip to your worst enemy..someone who you want to be as far behind the 8 ball as possible.
Its all about the span in relation to the diameter of a ball..for balance and weight control.
The drilling was designed for house balls .
Someone forgot to mention that to ball drillers.Theres millions of league bowlers out there bowling with a C grip.(the claw grip)
icon_mad.gif

I feel sorry for social bowlers as well..ever really enjoyed playing a couple of games with a conventionally drilled ball????..not.
Wheres the fun..what can you do with a conventional ball...1/10 th the stuff you can do with a semi/fingertip.
However the undisputed factor is that a conventional grip will make the ball feel 2 lbs heavier..and a semi finger tip..2 lbs lighter.
Ask all the little ole ladies that have switched from conventional.
Great question Bin Al.
PS..Watch how basketballers catch and throw or footballers/goal keepers mark/catch,its all in between semi/- finger tip.
Next ball driller who drills a conventional grip should be shot at dawn.

I agree. Most balls I drilled for beginner bowlers were semi-finger tip, as I beleive it gives you the best of both worlds: a secure feeling, but the proper feeling of getting your thumb out correctly. The biggest problem I had, was convincing people that it was drilled properly, because it didn't feel like a house ball!! When I actually explained to them the purpose of it, they sort of understood, but still put their fingers in as far as possible, with just a bit of their thumb in. No matter how much explaining, and showing, some people just don't listen!!

Well it is refreshing to hear a post where everyone seems to be of the same belief.

House Balls andConventional drilling is garbage.

I argued many moons ago with a past state coach about putting one of 8 yr olds finger tip.
It didnt really mattered what that person thought as it was my pupil and me drilling the ball, i just like asking people for opinions... The kid is now 17 made his first presidents shield shot a 750 a cpl of weeks ago and looks pretty good.

The old belief of having to be at a certain level before you go fingertip should be completely squashed

The EARLY the BETTER, thats my humble opinion

Back
Top Bottom