Worst-kept centre in Australia

atx106

Just bowled in Kingpin at Crown Entertainment Complex in Melbourne, and I've never seen balls as damaged as the ones there, nor lanes with so little oil. It was like bowling on sandpaper. Video will follow so you can see it for yourself, I bowled conventional with a house ball from 5 board to 5 board and was gutter-balling on my left side, that's how bad they were.

Simply put, don't bowl there. Ever. For any reason.

yeah fair enough but even so its an amf brand and social or not theres meant to be some sort of protection on the lane, at least the approach was clean...

its an independent center just like strike in chapel street there only there to bring in the dollars which they do but i will never bowl there its just to expensive

I could say which one was the worst kept but its not 1995 no more. Mt Gambier held many titles including this one!!! :) Worst boss too(assuming she doesnt read this, silly moo!!)

I think Cam Jenkins told me once that he had a chuck at Kingpin. It went from 40 board out to the gutter and all the way back, in 15 feet!!! ouch!!!

I could say which one was the worst kept but its not 1995 no more. Mt Gambier held many titles including this one!!! :) Worst boss too(assuming she doesnt read this, silly moo!!)
Devonport prior to Rick taking it over and renovating it and Moonah in the late 90's and early 2000's would be up there with Mt G as the worst.
Both were shockers. Old age and old equipment, well worn, no money to fix them, they just needed a bit of TLC and a lotta coin spent on them.
Both are fine centres now.

atx106 said:
ust bowled in Kingpin at Crown Entertainment Complex in Melbourne, and I've never seen balls as damaged as the ones there, nor lanes with so little oil. It was like bowling on sandpaper. Video will follow so you can see it for yourself, I bowled conventional with a house ball from 5 board to 5 board and was gutter-balling on my left side, that's how bad they were.

Simply put, don't bowl there. Ever. For any reason.
A relative of mine went there about 12 months or so back, she bowled from the early 70's right through to 2000 and never once, ever hooked a ball and she told me even she was throwing a huge hook in that place.
Said she was having a drink and chatting with the staff there and they were saying that they (and Strike) are not 'proper' bowling centres as such (as someone already mentioned), it's a bar/club with lanes installed but they don't maintain it like a 'normal' bowling centre would be, it was never intended to be so.
Apparently they refer to league/tournament (ie: serious) players as 'purists' and don't encourage those types to frequent there generally.
Bit of a different crowd. Catered for the more upmarket crowd apparently.
Does pretty well though. Now a tournament there, that'd be a challenge! :p

I think Cam Jenkins told me once that he had a chuck at Kingpin. It went from 40 board out to the gutter and all the way back, in 15 feet!!! ouch!!!

can fully agree to the first part of this, witnessed the conditions and management, and yes, below par by a long way, lucky the pub we stayed at was more than accomodating for our needs, to make for an enjoyable weekend

Back
Top Bottom