Breaking news!!!

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
The Straits Times, Singapore, Tuesday 19th, March 2002. Back page " SPORT "

BOWLER Andrew Fang has decided to train with former national coach Ron Hoppe in Australia.

By leaving, the 22-year-old kegler forfeits his chance to compete in the Asian Games and the Asian FIQ tournament later this year - because the Singapore Tenpin Bowling Congress stipulates that only those who undergo centralised training in Singapore will be selected.

Despite the consequences, Fang, who has resigned from the national squad, believes the risk is worth it, saying: 'I want to be the best bowler I can be.

'I believe Ron has the knowledge and expertise to get me to that level. He believes that I have the potential to get there, so much so that he has offered to coach me for free.

'If I want to make bowling a viable career, and to be able to compete successfully, I have to be world-class.

'Plus, the experience of going overseas will help me become more independent. I have been too spoilt in Singapore. I want to try and live on my own and survive.'

Hoppe was in charge of the national team for less than two years before he was sacked last October, after the Republic returned without a single gold medal from the South-east Asia Games in Malaysia.

Under Hoppe, Fang, who in 2000 was the first Singaporean to win an Asian FIQ title, had changed the fundamentals of his game.

But, results have not been forthcoming so far - the bowler has not won a title since the Asian FIQ and the Singapore Open, also in 2000.

But he has faith that his performance will improve.

He said: 'I was the first person to question why I want to continue. But, from what I have learnt from him, I see the logic of his teaching.

'I believe strongly that I have not done well not because his coaching was incompetent, but because we had too many constraints last year.

'I got whatever time Ron could spare me. And I think that was insufficient.'

The National University of Singapore undergraduate intends to take a year off studies and will leave for Brisbane 'as soon as possible'. His long-term plans will depend on his progress in Australia.

He said: 'I am planning to go to the US Open at the end of the year and I want to do well there. That will be the ultimate benchmark, a test of all my efforts.'

He will compete in Australian tournaments, and certain American professional tour events. He might also take part in selected events in Asia.

He estimates that he will spend $2,000 a month.

The Singapore Sports Council said yesterday it was unlikely to give him a grant unless he showed an improvement in his results. -- Chan Tse Chueen

George...are you now predicting future events? lol. March 19th edition???

Seriously, I had heard this story a week ago.

Back
Top Bottom