Andrew Fang Left Out Of Singapore Team

Graham

Staff member
Story including smoe stuff on Andrew Fang, who won the Queensland Cup at Kedron less than a month ago .. he was training in Australia and was bowling around 120 games a week before the tournament and continuted to bowl 20 games a day up until he returned home .. so him not being up to scratch ?? HMM smells like politics to me.

Sourced from http://sg.news.yahoo.com/020611/5/singapore10252.html

Tuesday June 11, 5:29 PM
Singapore sending 12 bowlers to Asian Games, Andrew Fang left out

The Singapore Tenpin Bowling Congress has named a 12-member squad for the coming Asian Games, but former Asian FIQ champion Andrew Fang did not make the cut. The six men and women bowlers will undergo centralised training in Korea from early August.

Among the men, national head coach Goran Bergendorff says Remy Ong is a strong contender for a medal.

The women's squad will be led by newly crowned World Ranking Masters Champ Jennifer Tan.

The Tenpin Bowling Congress says one criteria for selection was attendance at training sessions.

Fang, who was training in Australia, did not meet this criteria - nevertheless he was given another chance.

He was assessed at the recent National Championship, but the selectors say he was not up to the mark.

Nevertheless, Fang, who has had a rather rocky relationship with the Singapore Bowling Congress because he opted to train with the team's ex-coach instead of the new coach, still had some good news.

He said: "The STBC officials have expressed interest in wanting me back into the team and wanting to work things out so I think it's going to be good from here.

As for the rest of the Singapore team, they are hoping that the home ground advantage of their strongest opponents South Korea may prove to be their handicap.

Mr Bergendorrf said: "They stay at home and they practice in this arena all the time, it may backfire, I'm not saying it will do, it may backfire because that they are getting too little exposure."

The Singapore team has left for the Phillipines Open - one of the tournaments they are using as a warm up for the Asian Games.

Story including smoe stuff on Andrew Fang, who won the Queensland Cup at Kedron less than a month ago .. he was training in Australia and was bowling around 120 games a week before the tournament and continuted to bowl 20 games a day up until he returned home .. so him not being up to scratch ?? HMM smells like politics to me.

Sourced from http://sg.news.yahoo.com/020611/5/singapore10252.html

Tuesday June 11, 5:29 PM
Singapore sending 12 bowlers to Asian Games, Andrew Fang left out

The Singapore Tenpin Bowling Congress has named a 12-member squad for the coming Asian Games, but former Asian FIQ champion Andrew Fang did not make the cut. The six men and women bowlers will undergo centralised training in Korea from early August.

Among the men, national head coach Goran Bergendorff says Remy Ong is a strong contender for a medal.

The women's squad will be led by newly crowned World Ranking Masters Champ Jennifer Tan.

The Tenpin Bowling Congress says one criteria for selection was attendance at training sessions.

Fang, who was training in Australia, did not meet this criteria - nevertheless he was given another chance.

He was assessed at the recent National Championship, but the selectors say he was not up to the mark.

Nevertheless, Fang, who has had a rather rocky relationship with the Singapore Bowling Congress because he opted to train with the team's ex-coach instead of the new coach, still had some good news.

He said: "The STBC officials have expressed interest in wanting me back into the team and wanting to work things out so I think it's going to be good from here.

As for the rest of the Singapore team, they are hoping that the home ground advantage of their strongest opponents South Korea may prove to be their handicap.

Mr Bergendorrf said: "They stay at home and they practice in this arena all the time, it may backfire, I'm not saying it will do, it may backfire because that they are getting too little exposure."

The Singapore team has left for the Phillipines Open - one of the tournaments they are using as a warm up for the Asian Games.

Back
Top Bottom