Belmonte Sets Blistering World Cup Pace - Leads After Day 1

Graham

Staff member
Australia's Jason Belmonte leads the Mens Division after Day 1 of the 40th AMF Bowling World Cup, underway at the SuperBowl SAFRA Mount Faber bowling center in Singapore.

Belmonte, who hails from Orange, New South Wales set a staggering 250.67 average and 1,504 set included games of 267, 265, 258 and 257. His low game of the morning was 214. He holds a 95-pin lead over second-place Maurizio Celli of Italy, who averaged 234.83 with 1,409 pins.

“I’ve had a hectic year so far,” Belmonte admitted. “I did a four-week tour where I competed in Guam, Singapore, Qatar and at the British Open. I did well in all of them. When you’re on a roll, you have to go with it as long as you can."

Belmonte is already a veteran of International Competition - even at such an early age. He earlier this year won gold medals in the 2004 Asian Youth Championships and World Youth Championships

“No Australian man has ever won the AMF World Cup—we’ve had five women champions, but no man—and I’d love to be the first." said Belmonte.

Seventy-four women bowl their first round of qualifying this afternoon and evening at SuperBowl SAFRA Mount Faber. Australia's Anne-Marie Putney is amongst the favourites to take out the Womens title.

Full scores and updates can be viewed at the official AMF Bowling Website - http://www.amfbowlingworldcup.com

Back
Top Bottom