Brando wins the 2007 Cairns Open

Kellie

Facebook Rocks
The Cairns Open was held this weekend, with 70 bowlers in the field.

Brando started the 2nd stage slow, but showed why he is unstoppable with a 277 in the last game to take the lead and to win the tournament.

In second place was North Queenslander Robbie Buckley, rounding out the top 3 was Australia's number 1 bowler George.
(I had conformation from George that he is back to being number 1 as it is a brand new year and it says so on the TBA site, so they must be right) ;) ;)

Congrats to all bowlers, sorry we couldn't give you all live scores as promised but we never received any scores from the bowl.

I have also been told that lanes 9 and 10 have been named after Tony Hamilton, as they were not very kind to him. He left not one but two 5-7-10.

Congrats must also go to Steve Hunt who had the tournament high game of 299.
Once again well done to all bowlers.

2007 Cairns Open Tenpin Bowling Tournament

The 2007 Cairns Open Tenpin Bowling Tournament was conducted this weekend at Cairns Goldpin Lanes. Defending Champion Brandon Qualischefski from Brisbane has taken home the $2000 first place from the prize pool of over $14,000. Qualifying started the tournament on Saturday morning with Steven Hunt from Townsville finishing his 12 games on top with 2611 to give him an average of 217, followed by Qualischefski on 214 average and George Frilingos from Brisbane on 211. Hunt also had the high game from qualifying with a 299, 1 pin off a perfect game and a bonus $300.

After the field of 70 bowlers had completed their qualifying, the top 30 moved through to stage 2 for another 5 games to find the top 12 for the matchplay final. Local bowlers to make the top 30 included Bradley Carr with a 193 average, Gavin Third on 189, Brian Thomas & Kevin Swinburn 188, Craig Whitby on 186 and Larissa Nastasi on 182 after John Dunn from Mackay had to retire due to injury.

The next 5 games saw bowlers trying for consistency as points were awarded for highest game to lowest game to decide who would make up the matchplay final 12. Sam Nucifora from Ayr was most consistent bowling a 219 average to achieve 129 points out of a possible 150. Andrew Christopher from Caboolture was not far behind with 122 whilst 12th placed Hamish Rogers from Brisbane on 83 points beat home Brian Pilkington also from Brisbane on 82.5 points.

Matchplay saw some great battles unfold as Qualischefski, Buckley and Frilingos powered ahead of the field in the early stages. Third, the only local representative in the top 12 struggled early only to find a little form towards the end of the matchplay to finish in 10th. Hunt from Townsville also found form in the latter stages bowling a 279 against local Third to bring him into contention in the last few games to finally finish 5th overall. Buckley led the majority of matchplay, only to be swallowed up by Qualischefski in the last game where Qualischefski beat Buckley 277 to 201 to finish 1st and 2nd respectively. Frilingos finished 3rd after recording the most number of wins for matchplay and an average of 217.

Terrie Needham from Townsville was the only female to make the top 12 and picked up a bonus $400 for being the highest placed female in the tournament. Congratulations must go to Qualischefski as two time winner on the Cairns Open tournament.

Write up by Gavin Third.

Well done Brando, quite a profitable weekend for you, both home and away ;)

our interstate visitors thank you!!!:p

Seriously, great bowling, may it carry thru to Adelaide next weekend!

Well done Brando another herculean effort, no doubt. congrats on a job well done.
Animal

Congrats Brando was some awesome bowling after you were able to hand onto the ball.

Big thanks to Gavin who ran a great event and managed to bowl so well himself.

You will see me again next year.

congratulations to Brando on his win, and to all the competitors who made the open a pleasure to compete in. Also well done to Terrie, mixing it up with the boys in the final 12. She held her own very well. GO TEZZA!!!
Already looking forward to next years open, always a great weekend.:D
Cheers
Aaron Nowak

Congratulations to the team at Cairns Tenpin Bowl…Gavin and the crew done a fantastic job once again with a smoothly run event and a fun time were had by all…

Well done Brando…You showed once again how well you seem to tough it out and step up when you have too…It also helped with the payout for a small group of us in the Calcutta…Cheers once again mate…Hard luck Robbie you led it for 10 games and a great effort to boot…I now see why you buy yourself in the Calcutta…We just kept bumping the price so it cost you more…:D

Well done also to Tony Hamilton…Never though I could laugh so much…That 5-7-10 was priceless…Not one but two…:D :D

Good weekend all and all congrats to everyone who made the cut and all cashers…

I will be back again next year…

p.s The fishing trip was also a lot of fun…I am sure A squad will be full next year as well as the boats in the afternoon…Nothing beats catching Jacks and Gold Salmons all arvo…

Maybe Hammo or Brando can tell you all about the crack in the plane that they saw...:D Oh by the way...Is Brando the only one who buys Hungry Jacks to take on the plane...:D

Full results of the weekend can be found here

http://www.totalbowling.com.au/news/livescores/

Thanks to Kell for doing her best with the scores with what she was receiving...

Another great weekend in Cairns over, congrats to Brando who was all over me that last game. Well done to all the staff and also to Gavin, who did a fantastic job as TD as well as carrying the flag for the locals. Also like to say a hiuge congrats to Terrie Needham in being the only lady to make the matchplay, and to local juniors Larissa Nastasi and Kevin 'the Hulk' Swinburn in picking up the bonuses for highest placed locals.
On a personal note, I'd like to thank Damo for his ongoing help and support. :D

Congrats to everyone who bowled.

The format looked tough for the weekend.

Brando, ur a shocker tiger..... Hungry Jack on the plane... lmfao!!!

Great write up's Kellie,Gavin and Jase, sports journalism at it finest guys.

Squad A sounds tempting for next year.

Well Brando you have done it again, the ball company might have changed but the result is still the same. You really are the Mayor of NQ!!

There were times over the weekend where you actually appeared to be human :D :D but when the time was right you dug deep and showed again what an absolute champion you are.

Congrats also to Captain Asparagus and the Golden Greek you guys bowled awesome as well.

Special thanks must go to Hammo for the reminding us of the festive season with his "Double XMas Tree" special as well as pipping me in the last game to drop me into 5th :)

Gav you did an awesome job as the TD, ably supported by your lovely wife and support crew. The fact that you also managed to bowl as well is an extra feather in your cap.

Finally to all the young un's out there, if you ever find yourself standing up with the front 11 don't be like me and save your absolute worst shot for the 12th. My only saving grace was that 299 sounds a lot better than 295 (but seriously a 5 pin :D )

Cheers

Steve :D

Congrats Brando on a great win, its always a pleasure to be able to watch bowling at such a high standard on home turf,well done to all other bowlers who made the final round, we saw some great bowling by all competitors Well done to Gavin and team on a great tournament.:D

Thanks Guys

Gavin, once again you did a splendid job as TD. Thanks for the lift from the airport. You guys really do go out of your way to make a visitor feel welcome.

The entire team at Cairns Tenpin deserves a big pat on the back for running another successful tournament in North Queensland. The final number of entries was 70 which is pretty awesome considering the 2006 Brunswick Australia Cup could only get 84. Shows that bowling in North Queensland is very strong.

Thanks to the boys from Mackay.

Thank you all for the kind comments and fantastic support of this event. We aim to please our visitors so they keep coming back.

Without all the helpers on the day and those behind the scenes, the event does not run as smoothly as it did, so I thank everybody who had the smallest thing to do with the tournament.

As for my bowling in the event, you gotta get lucky at some point!!!

We are already planning the event for 2008 so keep the weekend of 18th to 20th January free for another fantastic event.

Cheers
Gavin Third
TD

Back
Top Bottom