Bowling Into Youth Commonwealth Games

Graham

Staff member
Bowling has won a place as 1 of 10 sports in the 2004 Youth Commonwealth Games to be held in the city of Bendigo, Victoria from November 29th to December 4th 2004.

Dragon City Lanes in Bendigo will be the host centre of this event.

TBA and the people involved in this succesful bid ought to be congratulated on getting Bowling into such an event.

The program for the event is to be confirmed. However initial advice suggests the following :

TEN PIN BOWLING:

2 Men/2 Women per Team proposed with suggested format:
Day 1: Singles (male and female, 6 games) and Teams of Four
Day 2: Doubles (male and female, 6 games) and Mixed Doubles (6 games)
Day 3: Three Masters (15 games) male and female

MORE INFO SOON

From a personal standpoint I would like to extend congratulations to Kevin Brawn for his involvement and abundant generosity that played a primary role in ensuring this event is to be held - and I mean held at ALL - not just at Bendigo. Speaking with some experience on matters of this nature [but not insofar as this event is concerned] I know that many others will have played a role along the way - however I don't know who they are or were - but I do know what Kevin has contributed, and it is extensive.

Brawn will be embarrassed by this message - he is not one to look for credit - and having known him for many years I am aware of the countless things he does quietly and without fanfare for the betterment of bowling and his local community [and I don't mean just bowling in his community - his help and involvement are legend and abundant].

Remembering all the great global or regional bowling events hosted in Australia takes but a second or two. There have been very few when you consider bowling is well over 40 years old in this country. This tournament may well have the same type of impact that the KL CW games had - and that was a great period indeed for Australian bowling.

To those that wish to focus on some arrant nonsense about 6 pound house balls [and use Brawn as target practise over this issue] - well I will not dignify this rubbish with comment - other than to say that if this is the best you can do then I suggest you get the hell out of the way because you are clearly part of the problem that this sport faces.

Well done Kevin [and all the others] - great work.

Steve Jones

Further information on the games : It is predicted that up to 1,000 athletes aged 18 years and under, plus 200 team personnel from 20 Commonwealth countries will compete at the event.

i am just wondering how will the team be picked will there be rolloffs of some sort of will they be selected pf national or other event. cause i would be interested in rolling off for the team.

strazz

It is predicted that up to 1,000 athletes aged 18 years and under
does this mean that only the bowling juniors will be able to compete in the Youth Games? or will the 23's be able to compete as well?
Cheers
Later Da Cowman

It is open to athletes 18 years and Under .. so id imagine that it means 18 and under - Not under 23 - for some strange reason :)

I expect there will be a rolloff, but that information would not be available right now as it has only recently been announced. When and if rolloffs are held, you will hear about it here.

I would like to say that I think it a great thing to have this event coming to Australia (even if it IS in Bendigo..lol...) but yea :D . Yea please let us know about any roll offs etc as soon as it comes to hand coz I wanna do the roll offs or whatever as well.

Cheers.

I would like to echo Steve's comments here. If it wasn't for KB's generosity then our inclusion in this event would have been in jeopardy.

The submission prepared in our bid for inclusion in this event was first class. If it wasn't for the dedication, late nights and lobbying by Lynne Clay, in preparing this submission, then the sport of tenpin bowling would not have even got a look in.

On top of this Lynne's health was not the best at the time and yet she still managed to pull together an A grade submission.

Lynne has been relentless in her pursuit in getting tenpin bowling back into the Commonwealth Games and this is only one small step in the right direction.

Well done and keep it up.

In a recent VCGA meeting we were informed that a sport had been dropped from Melbourne 2006 and basketball had been added to the program. One would like to think that if this was to happen to another sport then tenpin bowling would have a chance of being that replacement sport. Our fingers are crossed.

I dont see Wayne Chester on here congratulating Kev on this fantastic gain for bowling. Or do you only get on here Wayne to bag people.
Top stuff Kev and to all others involved. You have put alot of time and effort and spent a considerable amount of your own dollars over the years for the good of our sport.
Well done again

All the Best
Rob T

Sorry to disappoint you Rob, but I've been in Queensland on holiday. Oh, and if you check my posts you'll see that I congratulated a goodly number of bowlers on their accomplishments.

Congratulalions to all, especially Kevin Brawn, who put in the hard yakka in their effort to get bowling into the Youth Commonwealth Games in 2004...My hat's off to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom