Reunion for Commonwealth Champions

Graham

Staff member
A unique event celebrating the reunion of Australia’s highly acclaimed Commonwealth Games team is being held during the upcoming 5th WTBA Asian School Tenpin Bowling Championships. Hosted by Channel Nine personality, John Burgess, this exciting event will see the Team participating in a combined Pro-Am event and social function at AMF’s Boronia Bowl in Melbourne. The team will take to the lanes with bowlers, and non-bowlers, of all ages, demonstrating and teaching their striking skills.

President of the World Tenpin Bowling Association, Dr P.S. Nathan and President of the Asian Bowling Federation, Ms Vivien Fung, will be attending this special event, together with dignitaries from many of the international bowling Federations, in Melbourne for the Championships. Leaders of the sport in Australia, and the bowling industry, as well as members of the organising committees of the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games and the Bendigo Youth Commonwealth Games 2004 have been invited to attend this historic event.

During the 1998 Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur, the four team members, Cara Honeychurch, Maxine Nable, Michael Muir and Frank Ryan, performed spectacularly, achieving the highest tenpin bowling medal tally in the Games with three Gold, one Silver and one Bronze.

Since tenpin bowling’s outstanding inaugural appearance at the Commonwealth Games and Australia’s continued success on the international stage at World and Zone Championships, the sport has gained unprecedented prominence. Rated seventh in the top ten participation sports in Australia, tenpin bowling is enjoying a strong resurgence of popularity.
ends

For further information, please contact
Greg Isaac, AMF on Mobile: 0414 491 492, or Amanda O’Brien, TBA on 0402 949 088

sounds like a great idea.

can you clear something up though.......I heard a whisper that at the Commonwealth Games in Manchester they won't be having tenpin bowling as a sport. Does anyone know of a reason why??

As far as I heard Renay the host city is able to choose the sports they want and unfortunately they didnt choose our beloved sport.

I could be totally wrong but that is what I heard??
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif

Kel

There is no bowling in the Commonwealth games. But there is supposed to be a Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Championship. run by WTBA which is to be held in Glasgow, Scotland. Just after the actual Commonwealth Games 5th - 9th August. Does anyone know anything else about this?

Would love to ear more about the Scotland tourney, Good excuse to visit some relatives at the same time.

I f anyone knows of a website that can obtain info please forward it on

Scoops,

The Commonwealth Tenpin Champs has 2 men and 2 ladies from each country, I think about 11 counries have been invited (last I heard).

I'm not sure if aussie is sending a team, I guess you might find out on the weekend at th A.O.

Here in New Zealand the team has already been selected.

Later

Back
Top Bottom