Bowlers going O.S in search of bucks

• Thread starter You have been Munsoned
  • Start date
Y

You have been Munsoned

Well done guys, glad to see that the trip OS was well worth it rather than staying in your home country and supporting the national events. :eek:

it was real good to see 135 bowlers, patriotic bowlers at that, tackle and event that was a major success.

by the way, what was the left like over in Bahrain?????

roy boy

Honestly you can't win with some people ..

George and Andrew are in the running for the US$30,000 first prize (geez - I wonder which one I would choose) currently in Qatar, oh but of course you forgot to mention that particular event, instead asking how the left was in Bahrain ?? Who cares!! One event out of many he bowls and doesn't do well. Why didnt you ask about Darwin ? How about Werribee ? How about Canberra Open ? How about Perth Cup ? How about most of the Queensland and New South Wales Grand Prix events. How many of the competitors from Ed Fleming on the weekend bowled in half of these events ? And you have the nerve to call George unpatriotic ?(and please don't pretend you werent aiming this at him)

Both Andrew and George have probably travelled to more Australian events in the last year than most people would travel in a lifetime. However they are unpatriotic ?? Give me a break.

How about opening your eyes and supporting our top bowlers who have the balls to go overseas and applauding them for their efforts. Is that too much to ask ??

If you read my post, yes i did mention Brahrain, but that wasn't the only event that i was refering too.

I have no problem with bowlers going os, i think it is great, but when all you hear is how bowling in australia is in turmoil with entry numbers and such, why shouldnt i ask the question????

also, you get some people who are outspoken about going to some event like the melbourne cup at ed fleming lanes, because it is a house that is dominated by right handers. and therefore the lefties wont come. based on that theory, why should i (as a right hander) bowl in all the events you mentioned, and other like the AO?????

all i want to see is the bowlers supporting the major events in their own country and helping the sport in their country. Sure if they do well overseas, great, it does boost the profile of the sport, but with the media coverage that we get over here and such, is that going to give us, well even another 10 entries into a tournement, i dont think it would.

but good luck to them, like you said, good to see they have the balls to do it (no pun intended i am sure).

cheers
roy boy

So what your saying Roy Boy is that bowlers should only limit themselves to Australian tournaments and should not bowl overseas to compete with the best bolwers in the world. Of course you make perfect sense, Australian Tenpin Bowling is the pinnacle of the sport in the world!!! not likely.

I probably would have went to Melbourne if this series of tournaments were not on in middle east. When you bowl for a living it comes down to value for money. To better myself I have to compete with the worlds best. You are only a product of your enviroment and choose to travel overseas not only for the chance of winning some money but to learn what it takes to be successful through out the world. Yes the conditions in Bahrain were not favourable on the left but what can I do about it?? I learn from the experience and move on. I did ok in Qatar, made the cut, got to bowl in a International Baker bonus event and picked up $1000 US. Whilst I am dissappointed in how I bowled in my last 12 games I have learnt from the experience and will take that with me to my next tournament.

You can t practise being under pressure or having to preform under the gun. It comes with experience and knowledge.

Further to your patrionage, I bowl more events in Australia than any other bowler and because I miss one event I dont support Australian bowling?? give me a break. How about you post your real name with your next post and we can catch up for a chat if you have a problem with my choices. I"ll be in Brisbane, Toowoomba, Sydney, Melbourne and Vegas over the next 3 months. See you at tournament sometime

G

Dear 'You have been Munsoned'

I think you may have missed Graham's point?? I too read your post as a personal attack on George.

I think your point of getting the national events supported by all is in everyones interest and the two guys mentioned in this topic are huge supporters of the national events when in the country.

However, surely if they have the talent, money & guts to tackle overseas bowling then we should fully support them, I have a sneaking suspicion that most if not all prizemoney they may win would be pumped back into uastralian bowling anyway!

Just my thoughts!

better go tell the girls to come home :roll:

cara, carol, maxine, please come home before you get munsoned :?

the womens circuit over here is struggling and it could be because of your absence :wink:

p.s george and andrew have been the 2 most travelled bowlers in australia for the last 2 years, i think a poor example has been made, i dont think there hasnt been a state they havent bowled in, in the last 2 years (maybe tassie)

The quality of the 16 finallists at this years melbourne cup was superb, anyone disagree???

frawls and george bowl they get 137 entries, a 1% increase in competitors, would have sent the prize fund through the roof (NOT)

Tournament bowling is failing, because the non sponsored players find it hard to keep up with the sponsored players on a regular basis, because of the constant need to update technology and the amount you have to carry around to be on a level playing field.

I DONT condemn these guys, gees i would jump @ the opportunity to have that kind of backing.

but thats my opinion to why we are struggling

too much out of tournament, bowling related expenses run up over a 12 month period, thats why hardly anyone practises anymore

its all $$$ and cents

I must admit, whilst I see everyones point of view, I have to agree with George, if you are making a living from this sport it isn't going to be easy doing it in Australia, we don't have the population or sponsors with money that can produce a tournament for US$130.000.00 (AUD$200,000.00)which is currently in Qatar.

These bowlers need to travel throughout Asia, Europe and the US chasing the dollars if they are going anywhere. I know only too well the difficulties with Cara Honeychurch and the cost and struggle to stay on top on the PWBA Tour, as we almost have daily contact with her throughout her travels, difference with Cara, Maxine Nable and Carol Gionotti is that they turned professional, which means they are not allowed in events like the High Roller, Mini Eliminator or other high paying amateur events throughout the world. Ask some of the more successful amateur bowlers traveling the world why they don't turn pro, because it pays better staying an amateur.

Regarding the Melbourne Tenpin Cup, it was very successful this year as it was in previous years, and I must admit we could not do it with the current number of genuine open bowlers in this country, the field would be maybe 60 or so instead of 135, we cater to the elite but also give a great deal of incentives to the bowlers on the fringe, this year we paid 50% of the field, and also gave an added 16 bowlers outside the cash some money as well, along with 4 free spots in the 2003 Brunswick Australia Cup and 2004 Melbourne Tenpin Cup, as well as free drinks all weekend and a spit roast at the end, all this with a small prize pool of $30,000.00.

To us it's all about taking care of the bowlers, and we go out of our way to provide that, I think we do it well, and at least the bowlers appreciate it when they come over.

Left handers don't always get near the top, but then again we also don't always get the best left handers bowling, they are overseas or decide not to come, one day they will all get over here and challenge the best right handers in the country, then we will know for sure.

As Roy Boy said, it's just as well right handers don't decide to go to Darwin, Canberra, S.A, Perth or the AO, then we would have very small tournaments indeed.

It's all about a challenge, and as George said himself, winners don't use lane conditions as an excuse, right George.

Good luck to all our bowlers overseas at the moment, and here's hoping tournament bowling in this country continues to improve, which I am sure it will.

Regards,
Patrick Birtig
2003 TD Melbourne Tenpin Cup

Im sorry but i have to dis agree with "You have been Munsoned"

Travelling aorund the world and learnign more about the game is the only way to improve yourself as a bowler and as a competitor. the reason AUST TEAMS are no where near as strong as they used to be isnt because ours bowlers havent got the skills or the heart....its simply we dont know how to bowl a ball when a gun is pointed at our heads.

Now george and frawls are bowling for much bigger prize funds and inturn are playing along with the best amtures in the world. Ill put my house on it says when they come back home and need a strike to win a game, a match or a title the experiances overseas will pull them over the line.

After bowling around the world and realising how big the game of tenpin bowling truly is, it has inspired me to bowl more events internationally and encourage as many players as i can who have the chance to go overseas and make a few quid out of a game they love.

Ive said it before and ill say it again...... Bowling is one of the only sports in this world that will allow an amture to travel around the world and the country earning money and enjoying a game that can be somewhat impossible.

All in all....im going to brissy in june, Vegas in July and Eurpoe in August along side with George and then we will come back and show you how patrotic we are when we (if given the chance) to bowl for our country and maybe win a few more medals all because we had learn more about the game VIA traveling O/S

Cheers

Booty call Belmo

What Craig says is very true.
However in order to start raising the profile of Tournaments, the National Board must start to take its blue ribbon event, Rachuig, and the Associated Nationals, more seriously.
Only when we start to get sponsorship, prizemoney and financial assistance for State Teams will we get more interest from the big names that are missing.
Rachuig is rapidly becoming a dinosaur as more and more of our top bowlers stay home. We used to plan our calendar around the Nationals, today we simply can't be bothered.
Anybody know where it will held next year?
Or even which State it will be in?
Sadly, the demand and the standard for top quality events is being left to a select few dedicated individuals who still care for the sport.
Who can blame our top people for going overseas.
There's not much incentive for them to stay at home, and the top end of town has yet to discover where its priorities should be.

I have only started doing tournaments at an adult level, and i'm loving it, it shows me what i have to do to compete with the best in the country, how much i have to improve. but once i start doing well in this country (hopefully i will) I have my goals to travel overseas and bowl for more dollars, under more pressure, against better competion

I say to all bowlers who travel overseas have a great belief in themselves, and thats need to be successful, here and overseas....

I dont know George or Andrew very well if at all, but i respect them for there ability and there courage to back themselves. Put there money where their mouth is and go after the mega bucks

I would rather be a small fish in a big pond, then be a big fish in a small pond, once you have the results and confidence in yourself, you should challenge yourself further by going overseas.

And as for sponsership you need to get results and prove yourself to the potential sponsers... the guys that have sponserships in this country deserve the backing of Storm, Columbia, Track, Hammer, Brunswick and such because they at one stage didnt have this sponsership but through hard work and committment they proved they were worth the investment.

If you want sponsership, you earn it, if you want to go overseas and challenge yourself, do it. I know I would.

Any comments or such feel free to contact me

I wish the best of luck to everyone who travels overseas.

James Sitters

Bowler's going O.S.

I have had the privilege of a fairly close association with both George and Andrew and would have to say that these guys do more to promote bowling in this Country than most anyone else. By representing themselves OS they also represent Australian bowling among bowler's internationally and uphold the standard and good reputation that Aussie Bowling enjoys on the International stage...and that's good and important. I too applaud their 'guts' to match their abilities against the cream of international amateur bowling and the fact that they can and have done so successfully is testament to their skill and talent. Rather than knock them (which I simply fail to understand) we should be congratulating them and applauding their passion and determination.
Roy Menachemson
BowlAustralia

Hi

i just want to set one thing straight. I am not wanting to knock them, i am not condoning anyone going overseas to bowl. The main question that i am wanting to get answered is, do you put one of the biggest national tournements that has had one of, if not the best attendence for the last however many years, ahead of going overseas to bowl for a bit more money???

I think it is great that Australian sportsmen and women do so well OS, and fitting in going OS around australian tournements if great, but what comes first, supporting national bowling tournements, where the bowlers and the crowds want to see these bowlers, or do you go over seas, just for some more money???

Another thing, that remark about Cara, Maxine and Carol, was pretty silly. That is there job, that is what they do for a living, that is one of the only countries that has such a tour, and they choose do do that. If there was a professinal tour in Australia, i am sure that they would probably support that.

roy boy

Please, Mr Royboy, what is the difference between the girls on the pro circuit in America "doing their job", as you so succinctly put it, by participating in the tournament circuit and earning a living, and George going overseas and participating in high level amateur tournaments when he himself is bowling for a living??? The girls don't ( and nor should they be expected to ) run home every time a tournie in Australia attracts more than 100 bowlers - they have a job o/s and they are fortunate enough to be able to do it well. George is doing exactly the same thing, except on the amateur level, and he is doing it in between events being held around Australia. God knows that given half the chance, the majority of elite bowlers would be headed the same way as George, Andrew, Belmo et al - sometimes you only get one shot, and it is no use looking back in a few years time saying "I wish", or "I wonder......"Only a fool would not take that chance if it was available to them.
Tournament numbers rise and fall from year to year, regardless of who is in Australia and who isn't.....there are a lot of lower average bowlers such as myself who are only too happy to enter the odd tournament here and there for the experience of playing with the big league, but you cannot blame us for limiting our horizons to events held within our financial and geographical boundaries.
Good luck to anyone who has the capacity, the tenacity, and the capabilities of going and mixing it with the bigger fish - we watch your endeavours with interest!

JagnBroni 8)

Dear Royboy,

Are you serious???? You seriously think that someone should deny themselves the opportunity to test their skills and earn some more money overseas, and stay home to support a national tournament???

Did you ever think that the reason these guys are in a position to challenge the worlds best amatuers bowlers (besides their financial position) is becuase they have been the 'main stay' of the national circuit for many years, have been successful and have attracted other bowlers to tournament bowling to test their skills against themselves.

Stop questioning their motives and FULLY support them.

Getting back to a previous post of mine, I agree that it is great to have good numbers at national tournaments, but I think your barking up the wrong tree. There's probably every chance these guys have bowled more tournaments than you have games!

gees munson

i can see george frillingos holds a full time job outside of bowling with his bowling schedule for the year.........NOT

he is a fulltime professional amatuer

which puts him in the same category as the girls, so i think my point to be very valid

I was fortunate enough to be able to compete in teh US Open this year which clashed with the SA Cup at Woodville, which I have performed pretty well in over the years. Given the sam eopportunity again, I would do the same again, purely for the opportunity to compete against the best in the world on the worlds toughest stage. I learned a lot from that experience, certainly more than I would have learned from bowling SA Cup, and while I didnt cash (although for a while it looked like I would) the lessons learned were priceless.

At that time Mick Little was also bowling US Open and Frawls, Belmo and Jason Walsh were all at the High Roller in Vegas. Didnt see any complaints then, just a lot of well wishers on this forum. Australian bowlers would perform far better in international competition if they got out of their cosy little nest occassionally. It is very easy to stay a big fish in a little pond, but much more difficult to go and be a small fish in a very big one. Give those who put the balls on the line (if youll pardon the expression) a little credit.

spastic left handers

This seems a little like the thread "Spastic Lefthanders"

Seems to me ROYBOY has dangled a bit of bait and everyone has swooped on.

Hey Munsonned was this some small way of getting everyone on side ????

My thought process for this is simple, no-one mentally stable could possibly knock anyone from travelling overseas to compete.

After living and playing in the Middle East my eyes were widened to the extent of how much these guys bowl and simply how GOOD they are

The Qatari National squad along with a large number of Europeans are touring professionals. Ok they may not be on the "PBA or PWBA" circuit, but believe me these guys are PRO'S

So why on earth not play with some of the worlds best. Why as Brenton said we knock Andrew & George this trip but leave 1/2 dozen alone when they travel to the states? Is it because it was the states so thats alright but Asia, Mid East & Europe are out of bounds????

Some of these guys are paid salaries to go and bowl. They are required to write a full analysis of each and every event they particpate in and report back to their committee. they might show up to work for an hr maybe 2 per week.

Add up the entire Super Six events prizefunds add Brunswick, Perth and Melbourne Cups and with 9 events still dont get near the prize fund offered in Bahrain & Qatar(combined Au$350,000.00+)

Here in Australia that is and will only ever be a dream and it will stay like that as long as we have people irrationally keep knocking down our 'tall poppies'.

Hey Brenton,

your reply was exactly what i was wanting to hear. thank you.

once again i will state, i never once knocked anyone for going os, i was (after a little bit of running around!!) simply asking a question.

once again, good luck to any australians that do get the chance to go OS, it is great to see.

scoops, you are right, it is amazing how many people did find themselves going for the bait!

roy boy

Good to see George home on the weekend winning another local tournament! Sports series at Caboolture.

I don't know why anyone would have any complaints about him going overseas, the more time he spends over there the more money he leaves here for everyone else! :lol:

Good onya George and all the other guys that have got the ability to venture abroad. I wish i was good enough, you wouldn't see me for dust!
For the time being i will just keep on spending a fortune going in tournaments trying to learn something from yas! Whilst all the while wishing you where overseas on that weekend.

Back
Top Bottom