Aussies in the PBA?

C

Craiggles

Are there any Australian bowlers that you think would make an impact in the PBA in America? Men or women? I'm not sure that Aussies could play in PBA events, except by invitation, but let's say if it was possible, which Aussies could possibly be successful over there?

Craigie

There is nothing stopping Aussie males bowling on the PBA (I considered it). At the end of the day though there are numerous reasons why Aussies shouldn't.

1. WE ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH
2. REFER RULE 1
3. You loose your amatuer status and exclude yourself from most tournaments
4. You can make more money as an amateur than a pro (ie Tim Mack).
5. In a Super 6 event there maybe 100 bowlers but realistically there is a handful of bowlers who have the ability to win. In bowling in a PBA event, there maybe 120 entries and 120 guys who can win. They are that good!

Maybe in the future someone may but I can't see them getting past the REgional level, but National PBA events, no way!

Even tho George is a good friend of mine I have to say I disagee.

Question) Why should a male Aussie bowler venture over to America and bowl the PBA Tour?...

Answer) Because without testing your skills against the "big boys", you'll always regret it. Please do yourself a favour and give it a shot.
Even a "has been" is light years ahead of a "never was."

About the only tournaments you'll be barred from bowling will be the World Cup, FIQ, and High Roller.....As a past PBA Champion, no one has stopped me from bowling any of our Major Tournaments here in Australia.

So to all of you so called Aussie hot shots. And you all know who you are without me mentioning any names. The following quotes are for you:

If you want to talk the talk, first you have to walk the walk

In order to be the man you have to beat the man

How long has it been since the PBA has seen an aussie?
Have any aussies made it close to the top?

Isn't cara giving them a run?

in their time, i believe these guys could have succeeded

warren stewart
carl bottomley
andrew drew
billy gardiner

and now

jason walsh

big gamble to take the plunge on tour, but it only takes one to succeed and the rest will follow, example carol

the only woman i would have liked to see take the plunge was jeanette baker and of the current crop amanda bradley and kate wilton, i hope kelly warren does well enough to stay over there.

i believe everyone should be optimistic about aspiring to be the best and the best is the pro tour

so if you think you've got it, go for it

Heres a list of every aussie male bowler i can think of that bowled a PBA stop
John Fitch
Lance Loughnan
Bob Cook
Steve Mackie
Bruce Kennedy
Vic Bubniw
Andy McKay
Mal Horsley
Gary Kee
Steve Lovell
Harold Fryer
Damien Norman
Mark Ramsay
Brian Bridges
Ian Bradford
Warren Stewart
Mark Arundell
Gary Jeffery
Terry Wenban
Graham Smith
Frank Ryan
Mike Muir
Leo De Bennedetto
Andrew Frawley
Jason Doust
Tony Rodrick

did i miss any?

Richard Hall bowled the ABC Masters about a hundred years ago ;) - and either cashed or made the cut, IIRC.

Richard Hall finished 30 of 480 in the [I think] 1966 ABC Masters he was the first ever non American to make the top 64 - far from a "crash"

Graham Smith was on tour for at least two full seasons, maybe it was three - not bad given his sponsorship was limited, he did OK.

John Fitch was also on tour for about two full seasons...early 60's of course - but everything is relative

I think Vic Bubniw [and a few others] limited their PBA stops to the Hawaiian Inv when it was running..but still, not a bad effort.

Mick Neylan bowled the All Star - 1968 or 1969 maybe it was.

Memory is fading in direct proportion to hair loss.

My view - Zikman should bowl the Seniors now - he would be very, very competitive.

Steve Jones

I think there are a few ppl that could go over to the PBA and give it a go and make an impact.

First person that comes to mind is Jason Belmonte..I have no doubt that he will end up over there and i am confident he will make an impact he has the ability and definetly the shot to shoot the numbers.

I also think Jason Walsh could go over there and be a success he too also have the shot, mind and ability.

Others, Mick Little, Andrew Frawley, Mike Muir.........

I think it all comes down to money lets face it if you want to go there and stay there you have to give up your job (future) and leave everything behind to see if you can make it over there.... this is pretty big risk for a person to do.

As we have seen it can be done as some of our women have made it.

But as always it comes down to the $$$$$$$

Till Next Time.....

Hey Hulkster,

Obviously, modesty prevents you from including your own name on this list.

Missed one (at least)

Bruno Maglieri !

Went over, placed about 50th from memory - DIDNT EVEN HAVE HIS BOWLNG GEAR! it got 'lost' en-route to the US - he got other gear drilled out - but I believe it was not as good a fit/ drilling.

He even finished ahead of Parker Bohn III (amongst many others).

I believe bowling the PBA would be a bit like running the 4 minute mile - because we all bowl in our own seperate AUSSIE BOWLING COMMUNITY, we dont believe we are good enough to take on the best of the best.

In the case of many of the fine bowlers listed in this post - I believe that they are not quite up to scratch - HOWEVER, with some intensive professional coaching and a couple of months dedicated practice, I believe that they would be able to cut it.

I also think it would only take one male Aussie to go over there and make a telecast or two, and there would be 2 or 3 or 4 others who would see that it is within their reach and have a go (similar to the females with Carol GB leading the way).

Just my two pence!

Browny from http://www.10pinbowling.com

Pedro said:
Hey Hulkster,

Obviously, modesty prevents you from including your own name on this list.

Peter, Jez knows if he goes over to the U.S.A. that he would be arrested upon arriving at the airport for being too green and having his enlarged muscles busting out of the skin tight shirts he wears

At the end of the day, your looking at ability + $70000 AUS = a chance of making it on tour. If someone has the money to burn and give it a go why not?

I truly beleive its not the ability issue too much as we do have great bowlers who could be even better if they bowled 20 games a day with good coaching. We just don't have the commitment.

Browny, Bruno did exceptionally well in the US open for the record is open to both amatuers and professionals (like golf). If you've got about $5000 AUS you can bowl in it to!

Belmo has a chance if he gets fit (hahaha) and makes more of a commitment to the sport. People say he's pretty well off as well which would cover his losses when he gets flogged for the first couple of months-years (hahahah)

It's all good!

george:

Your unbelievable...... ill have you the only reason i got a lil larger was cause everytime i slept with your mum she gave me a biscuit :)
also as you may of heard....im not well off....i dont have moeny coming out of my arse to just blow.... its as big a risk fro me as anyone!

On a serious note there are some here who could make it in the states....some really should give themselves more credit.... ie jez....... everyone aorund this country knows you are one of the finest bowlers in OZ all you have to do is prove it to yourself :)
i have no doubt that you will get on tour and be extremly successful.... and tats not just mate to mate talking thats the honest truth.....

There are some bowlers here in aust who could make it in in the US... but like jez said it takes money and time and a huge gamble and sacrfice to go over there.... unlike tennis or golf where one win will set you up for life....you really have to work at it for years before the $$$ in your bank account set you for life!

hopefully we get more aussies on tour...and i hope everyone mentioned gets a chance to prove themsleves on tour!

LaaaaaaaaaaTer

how could everyone forget trots. how do you guys think he'd go over there????

Don't forget Eric Thompson

Continuing on from the "older" bowlers who have been there.. one was left out.

I believe Eric Thompson bowled the Hawaii Invitational or whatever it was called.. just recall him mentioning it at some stage..

Have no idea where he finished or anything like that - perhaps someone else will recall???

Back
Top Bottom