Australian First for Andrew Frawley

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
At last we have seen (well, will see once footage gets here) an Aussie in a men's PBA TV event. Frawls had a tough time on one lane (the right lane? It's very early...) judging by the live scores and wasn't successful in that game but I don't care.

I for one am so proud of him. 2 x PBA 300's and made the show. What an amazing week. Awesome stuff.

Congratulations mate.

Jason

p.s. Scores are low all over. It's a real slugfest. Even the great WRW shot 180 when it seems from the sheet that straighter is greater.

Absolutely fantastic week! Really well played.

Looks like a very tough TV pair, the high game only 208 so far.
Shafer stayed clean to win 204-158 over Frawley, who had big problems on one lane in particular after starting out with a double.
Duke beat WRW 208-180 in the next match and has just eliminated Shafer 202-165 to win.
Looked very unforgiving out there.

Frawlz did have problems on the right lane. Two washouts, the first one being most costly I think.
Balance problems too by the looks of things, but at the end of the match he said he was there for some fun, and thats exactly what he did - had fun.
It was awesome to see one of the finest bowlers from Australia out there with the big boys...but it was painful to here the commentators trying to put on an Aussie accent.

Congratulations Andrew, you did us proud mate.
Congratulations to Belmo as well, also bowled well and showed an incredible amount of support for Andrew during his televised match.

Well done boys.

Congratulations , I grew up watching andrew frawley and bowling against belmo in the junior back home and they are both inspirational ,

WEll done lads

Frawls sets a new PBA record as the best ever result for an amatuer bowler. The previous best was a tie for 6th.

Congratulations Frawls on your wonderful achievement! Like all Australians in the bowling world at the moment...we are all so proud of you!

Belmo....don't be too disappointed....your time is coming!

Congratulations to the both of you.....an absolutely fantastic effort!!

Kyles & Lacky

I thought that Osku Palermma was an amateur when he made the US Open stepladder a couple of years ago. I will stand corrected if wrong.

"Official websites" are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to such rtecords. I am not suggesting that is the case here, but it has been known to happen. It depends on the diligence of the webmaster.

Well done Frawls anyway. Stunning effort.

http://www.pba.com/news/features.asp?ID=2572

It says

HIGHEST AMATEUR FINISH
Tied 6th, Robby Spigner (Vernon Hills, IL; 2002);
Patrick Flynn III (Reno, NV, 2007)

I believe Frawls finished 4th Mr Chester!!! You wanna dispute the official website, be my guest!

Justin, you will find that those records only apply to the single elimination tournaments from season 2002-03 onwards. As Brenton said Osku made TV as an amateur. I also have Patrick Allen on tape when he was an amateur finishing runner up to Norm Duke in the ABC Masters (tho not sure if it counted as a PBA event then or not).

I'm pretty knowledgeable on my PBA records, having been a PBA member for 19 years. The following will clear up the record once and for all.

$50,000 BELLOWS-VALVAIR OPEN
Brunswick Wonderbowl, Anaheim, Calif., Jun 4-7, 1971
Amateur Scores In Anaheim

There were a couple of firsts established in the PBA when the $60,000 Bellows-Valvair Open ran its course at the Brunswick Wonderbowl in Anaheim, Calif.

There was the $6,000 triumph by Gary Madison, making it the first time a non-pro had captured a title, and the unfolding of the PBA's new 30-point bonus system in match play. Never far off the pace in the opening event on the Summer tour, Madison outlasted veterans Mike McGrath, Dave Davis and Earl Anthony to gain his triumph.

Everyone kept waiting for Gary to fold, but the gritty lefty clung to his lead after taking over the top position after 37 games of the 42-game (up from 40) event.

The 30-pin bonus, a departure from the 50-pin rule that had been in effect for years, kept the race tight almost throughout and the fact that each of the three top finishers took 16 of their games also had a telling effect once the field was reduced after 18 qualifying games to 24 finalists.

Congrats Andrew on a fantastic effort. Belmo hopefully next time we will see a pair of Aussies on the show well done on your effort.

Wayne maybe you should post this message to the PBA site administrators to help them update their records ommission.

Also George Lambert III who is amature who made the USBC Masters TV show in 06. got done byDoug kent who went on to win

check it out

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rxZCgd85Eg"]YouTube - 2006 USBC Masters - Doug Kent vs. George Lambert IV (2)[/ame]

February 23, 2008

PBA Denny's World Championship
Amateur bowler makes it g'day, mate
Australian puts tip to good use en route to reaching finals in only his 2nd PBA event

Frawley, a 43-year-old Australian bowling in just his second Professional Bowlers Association tournament, finds himself in the finals of the Sunday's Denny World Championship at Woodland Bowl.
Frawley edged Wes Malott four games to three in the Round of 8 Friday night. Frawley opened the final game with 10 consecutive strikes en route to a 287-204 win.
"Coming through the brackets, I said I wanted to face Malott because I feel he's one of the most talented bowlers of the new era that I've seen," said Frawley, whose only other PBA appearance was in the U.S. Open several years ago. "To win that match is incredible. Now to go to the TV show with this talent is a dream come true for any amateur bowler."
Frawley will face Ryan Shafer in the opening semifinal at 12:30 p.m. Sunday. Norm Duke will face Walter Ray Williams in the second semifinal match. The winners will meet in the title match for the $50,000 first prize.
Williams has a record 44 PBA career titles. Duke has 26 titles.
Frawley had planned to just watch the pros this week. But his friend Tim Mack, a top international bowler now living in Indianapolis, signed him up.
Frawley said he was worrying about embarrassing himself after a rough outing in a recent High Rollers amateur tournament in Las Vegas.
But a tip he picked up at a coaching clinic had Frawley make a shoulder adjustment on the point of his release. He tried it in practice two hours before the tournament began.
"I haven't bowled this well since I was in my 20s," said Frawley, coaching in the Middle East the past four years.
Duke, Williams and Shafer all swept their Round of 8 matches in four games. For Duke, it was just what the doctor ordered.
"I can't tell you how sweet that is to go and rest," said Duke, who has been battling the flu. "I'm gone and I'm beddy-bye if I don't go to the hospital to see a doctor. I don't know. I just know I have a day-and-a-half to get this under control."
Duke, who won the Pepsi Championship title at Woodland last year, has struggled this year with injuries. "This is huge," he said of reaching the TV finals.
Shafer rolled a perfect game on TV at Woodland last year. He also finished third in 2006 World Championship at Woodland.
All eight bowlers who had byes into the Super 16 round on Friday afternoon lost, including No. 4 seed Steve Harman of Indianapolis. Harman was eliminated by Malott four games to three, losing 263-218 in the final game.
The top eight bowlers from 27 games of qualifying got to skip two rounds.
"From a mental standpoint, it's nice to have the break," Harman said. "From a bowling standpoint, those guys get to see the lanes transition. I think that gives me them a little bit of an advantage."
Harman finished 11th, earning $4,500.

IndyStar.com (Indiana's no.1 local media site)

Well, with Frawley's achievement along with Belmo and Zulmazran of Malaysia during the PBA World Championship, it showed that the best amateur bowlers in the world can compete with the top PBA bowlers. They only lost in term of equipments. All I can say is, it's going to be an open field in the WTBA World Championship in Thailand because of the limitation of balls they can use. To the America's 'Dream Team', watch out..

Back
Top Bottom