Ball Spinner Ideas?

Hi Mitchell,

There are a few funny stories about home made ball spinners, most of which were lucky not to have ended in electrocution or grievous injury! I have seen a couple of good ones though, all made out of washing machines. Not exactly compact or convenient, but reasonably functional. (Most of the hair-raising stories involve washing machine conversions too!)

I'll save you some time, money and grief as I've been down this path. I drew it up, spoke with some engineering supplies places, got some prices. It wasn't worth it. I bought a professional level machine for about the same money.

Buy a ball spinner - it'll work without killing you and will probably end up cheaper! Donkee units are great for home use. Jayhawk and Innovative make a beautiful product as well. Home made was fine before asymmetric cores that want to jump out if your spinner isn't balanced or really strong. And get the splash guard! Spinners can make a hell of a mess as they fling slurry everywhere! (Then again, mine's housed in a 20 dollar crate from Bunnings and I cut the top shield from coreflute.)

But if you're particularly handy and inclined to do your own engineering, spun steel drums make a good cup, washing machine motors have plenty of power. Remember that at some point, you'll be polishing and that takes some effort. Getting pulleys and belts to work is a hassle though! Know a good machinist you can call some favours in from? (I've seen flower pots used as ball cups - good until they split at 500 RPM.)

And once you get a spinner, watch out for reactive resin! It'll burn you a blister in a second! All that friction generates a lot of heat.

Cheers,
Jason

First thing I did when I got out of the proshop business, was get a ball spinner. I got an Innovative spinner, and it's brilliant. I did have to get a power converter, but I believe it is the best investment a serious bowler can buy.

This spinner has no wobble whatsoever, even with whacked out weightblocks, will not slow down even when standing on it if you want to burn the polish in, and is safe!

I think there are a few models that some companies make in 240v now... so have a look around... For the price of 2 bowling balls, it'll become the best investment you'll make.

First thing I did when I got out of the proshop business, was get a ball spinner. I got an Innovative spinner, and it's brilliant. I did have to get a power converter, but I believe it is the best investment a serious bowler can buy.

This spinner has no wobble whatsoever, even with whacked out weightblocks, will not slow down even when standing on it if you want to burn the polish in, and is safe!

I think there are a few models that some companies make in 240v now... so have a look around... For the price of 2 bowling balls, it'll become the best investment you'll make.

I got a Jayhawk spinner in 240v as part of my Pro Shop package from Jayhawk. Very good product.

Hi Mitchell,

There are a few funny stories about home made ball spinners, most of which were lucky not to have ended in electrocution or grievous injury! I have seen a couple of good ones though, all made out of washing machines. Not exactly compact or convenient, but reasonably functional. (Most of the hair-raising stories involve washing machine conversions too!)

Cheers,
Jason

NO names no pack drill, but I had the use of a home made spinner in said un named centre (which I was very grateful for the use of at the time), which was based on a washing machine. It worked brilliantly.

Once you had waited 8 minutes for the wash cycle to end and the spin cycle to start! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom