Ball Spinner Ideas?

Mitchell J

Hey guys,
I have recently gotten an old washing machine motor and I'm wondering if anyone has previously built their own D.I.Y Ball spinner using one?
I am stuck with ideas.
I was planning on making it as portable as I can so it can be placed anywhere, trying not to make it extremely bulky :)
Constructive criticism and help is always wanted!
Thanks, Mitch

Made one using a drill press upside down :).. Email Michael at BallisticRevs for more information. He sells a bit of DIY gear

Same as Ryan - I took the top of a drill press, screwed a steel bowl to the top and voila. Lasted me a few years and still 'spinning'.

Good luck - think it's an important part of looking after your gear .......

Mitchell...If you type in Google...How to make a bowling ball spinner...there is a video based on exactly that...a drill press and stainless steel salad bowl ;)

Drill press motors are designed to stall under load. Would go for something with more along the lines of a pool pump motor.

Did the same thing; however we actually took the entire motor and drill off of the shaft and flipped it upside down.

Doing it this way we were able to have the spinner ad a reasonable height and also remove most of the shroud around the motor. Will see if I can get Toby to upload a photo...

I built one out of a cheap drill press. It does does the job OK.

http://www.velobowling.com/DIYBallspinner.html

The drill presses will struggle with a big weight block balls.

One I recently saw on the web would work great if you just have a motor, i like the wood one because it sit nice a low and uses a simple Lazy Susan bearing for the spinner.

Attachments

• BallSpinner.jpg
    BallSpinner.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 43
Mitchell,

that is a really good question, I don't remember the site. But it was found through Google images, been searching for the site for a while and haven't found it. Can't believe i didn't save the web site to favorites either, the guy gave a write up of the parts and all. If i find it i will drop you a line.

the other thing i like is that you could add a small fan heater for cleaning also.

Found it - http://www.bowlingballexchange.com/showthread.php?t=40471
First post. Here's my three year old home made spinner. Two laminated pieces of 3/4" plywood turned on a lathe to make the V-belt groove on the outside edge and the spherical shape inside. After I took this picture I smeared white bathtub silicone on the ball contact surface and let it dry. That is mounted to a lazy susan bearing and driven by a 1/2 hp motor with a 4" pulley on it so that it doesn't spin too fast -- about 500 rpm or so. I haven't worn it out yet even though the bearing wasn't really designed for this.

BallSpinnerbyPaulsm.jpg

Simple. Cheap. It holds the ball low and seems safe except for the exposed belt.

All the best....

Jason, go to your local bearing supplier and buy aluminium pulleys. They will come with the center bored out, buy one half the size other to get double the speed you have ATM or one two thirds of the other to get a third more speed so on and so on. Smaller turning the larger will make it slower, bigger turning the smaller will make it faster hope this helps.

thanks mate. I have the option to get this as is only single speed. off to bunnings this morning.

I have no problem sanding but finishing with polish can take a long time to get an adequate polish after a 4000 pad used even. slows right down even with super light pressure.

thanks again.

jase

Back
Top Bottom