Age Restriction for Association Challenge

nls

I am of the understanding that the rules of Challenge require a bowler to be at least 16 years of age (presumably by when tournament is held or Jan 1). Was wondering if local associations are able set their own rules which differ to that of the tournament ? For example, our local association recently decided that the eligibility for our association team is to be 18 years or older....esentially ruling our the 'older' juniors.
In my opinion, if you are good enough to make the team on your bowling ability then you should be able to bowl irrespective of whther you are 16, 18, 26 or 76. One of the reasons put up by those wanting to raise the min. age to 18 believed that the participation of juniors in this event would have blue card implications (ie if any one association had a junior in the playing roster, then coaches, managers and players from ALL teams would be required to hold a blue card).
No doubt the tournament has been around longer then the blue cards & I am not sure if this is something that has been considered in recent times.
Would be interested to seek your view on
- Blue card issue
- Whether a local association can change eligibility at a local level
Thanks
Nathan

Everyone, to the best of my knowledge, what I have written below is true. If false, please correct me. :D

Nathan,

It is true that the the minimum age as set by the Association Challenge rules is 16. Howevever, this is a MINIMUM requirement. Local associations are allowed to pick their team however they want, eg. Gold Coast aren't having a rolloff, their team will be picked. Kingaroy usually has two weekends of roll-offs on different conditions taking the six highest bowlers on pinfall etc, etc.

As long as they at least meet the minimum requirements as set out in the Association Challenge rules, then everything should be ok. So if Rocky want to raise the age limit to 18, then that is up to them as that age limit is greater than the minimum as set out in the Challenge rules.

As for blue cards, this is a real grey area. Kingaroy did have a junior in their team last year, and we decided that everyone in the Kingaroy team should have a blue card. It doesn't cost anything for volunteers, and it takes about two months to process. As a side point, this also helped us with fundraising for juniors, as some things require that you have a blue card to help out, eg blue light disco's etc, which then raises money for juniors.

There are three possible solutions for the blue card issue. Either change the minimum age limit to 18 or make everyone that is in a challenge side get a blue card. However, this would have to be discussed at a Challenge meeting. The other solution is that we might not need a blue card at all as this tournament is a predominantly adult event with only a couple of juniors sometimes. You would need to ask the blue card commission for clarification on this.

While I can sympathize with your dilemma, you will need to respect the rules as put out by your association. Sure, you may not like it, but then you can't please everyone.

Chris G.

I would like to see the age limit apply to each association to be whatever that association agrees on. I know some preety good 15 yrs old that could make the team. Just a thought. It would be a great learning experience for them.

i was 17 when i bowled last year, however in my opinion anything under 18 is too young. when your that age you have junior shield and for the talented you have president shield to just get started. most may disagree though.

lve been on both sides of this debate 11yrs ago when i was the top jnr on the coast i wasn't allowed to bowl assoc challenge due to my age as they didn't want to baby sit me and then the year after i was eligable they wouldn't select me to teach me a lesson for being outspoken on the issue...

From my experience enjoy Jnr's as much as you can leave the Assoc to the big kids and make shield...

I believe they made the age 16 to help some associations with Numbers, but in the end under 18's bowl Rocky sheild and adults have Assoc challenge..

KIDS DEAL WITH IT!!!

I would have to disagree, I think the kids are our future, I mean some of the kids today have higher averages then some of the bowlers in Association Challenge. I think the age of 16 is a fair age to bring them into this competition. I remember last year asking one of the top Queensland juniors going around at the moment in Rochelle to roll off, but she was too young. She would be one of many bowlers that would be welcome in any side. The way I look at it is, bring them in to get a feel for it all, I mean come on we all love it, as it is a great event, and why can’t they get to experience it too. President Shield is a stepping stone to Rachuig, what is a stepping stone after Association Challenge? We have had some females in our team that have been under the age of 18 when they first bowled for the coast and to this day even after there 18th Birthdays are still bowling for the coast. So I say 16 is a fair age, let the young guns bowl, they are going to be taking our place one day and keeping the competition alive, when we can’t. Just my opinion anyway, I wouldn’t trade the juniors I have had in Association Challenge in my years of being involved for anything.

I believe that associations up the age to 18 for their minimum age becuase they like to go out when they are away. The team cant really go out and party when they have to baby sit a 16 or 17 year old. I know that its not all about partying but we all know that thats what we like to do.
Thats my opinion.

Didn’t know Association was all about getting sloshed at the PUB…As Kellie said we have taken away a few under age bowlers in our teams over the years and to be honest I had no issues with it at all…You can stay in at the apartment for a few drinks and a team BBQ and a lot of laughs are to be had…It hasn’t ever been an issue have people in our team that could legally drink…

I say if there good enough let them nominate/roll off and enjoy the experience…

Maybe be a good idea for all Associations to introduce the rule to include one up and coming Junior in each team…Be a great learning experience for them…

Next we will be saying the likes of Mary and Jimmy or John for that matter are, too old to compete…all because they need afternoon naps or Jim his veggies mashed :D:D before you head to the pub to get too smashed to show up and bowl the next day…;)

Old or young it’s not hard to find suitable things for all to do together as a team while your away…

If we want this sport to continue we need to be encouraging the juniors to get involved with things like the challenge.
I know that in our centre there are a few tournaments where the ages are divided, but the majority are one combined event. That way they get used to bowling with the older generation and get to prove a few things and maybe even earn a bit of respect for us all.
When we start to put age restrictions on things is when it all starts to get complicated. If the age is 16 now, they should have that bit of maturity to keep themselves amused without resorting to alcohol or anything like that. Also, if the adults can't go for one weekend without hitting the drink hard they should have other things to be thinking about rather than bowling.
This is all my opinion and it's what I'm sticking to.

sorry ladies and gentlemen but my view is that age restirction on any sport is stupid kids are the future of the sport but in this case the Association Challenge is a way of us oldies can get together for some social event without any restictions .....

I was 16 when I started bowling in the Association Challenge. I was so excited to be able to represent my town and show people what I could really do. It wasn't till I got older that I began to appreciate the Challenge. I never had the chance to do president shield due to financial situations but I'm making up for it now. I agree with Kellie. 16 is a great age to start Assoc. Challenge but each association will have to make ground rules regarding juniors at an adults tournament. Something that needs to be discussed at each association. It's a great tournament and the best way to catch up with all your mates from other centres.

Back
Top Bottom