A question about tournament formats

Cam S

BEEEEEEEEEAVER
I was away from the sport for quite awhile and one thing ive noticed since ive been back in to it, is that Stepladder finals seems to be a thing of the past.

Im just curious was there a reason behind it?
Do bowlers like them or dislike them? I personally found them exciting to watch.

And one last question when thinking about creating excitement for spectators how do people think a top 8 (mcintrye system used in NRL and AFL till 2000 ) final would go after match play in tournament.

I'm glad stepladder finals are finished. I believe the tournament winner is the person how knocks down the most pins from the first ball bowled.Carry pinfall over all the time, the better bowler of the tournament wins, and deserves to.
Stepladder finals should only be used in TV matches.I cannot see that happening for a long time.Sure stepladder finals are good for spectators,but not very good for the top qualifer who has to sit and wait to bowl.Just my opinion. I wish they didn't have stepladder finals years ago.

I have to agree with the statement of I'm glad stepladder finals are finished. Even though they are exciting to watch, in my opinion I dont see how it is fair that someone who has bowled better than everyone else for two or three days may come second due to one game.

Louie

Lot's of arguments for and against but have a look at most major sports bar golf, they have step ladder or knockout finals. Does not matter how well performed the leading team or participants were, the only bonus they get is a second chance and maybe a games rest.

Have to agree with ninja, I think a top 8 AFL type final in one of our major tournaments would be exciting to watch.

Rob

I'm not a great fan of the stepladder having played in a couple. In my first i was second on pinfall and finished second beaten in the final but i was well behind 1st on pinfall, it wouldnt have seemed fair if i won in a playoff. On another occasion i finished 4 after being 5th on pinfall, by beating 4th and being beaten by 3rd.
I think the person who has the highest pinfall after a set number of games should win.

I think step ladder finals are good. Earlier in the year i top qualified in a local tourny making me the better bowler for the qualifying round and was beaten in the final by someone who was the better bowler when it counted. You win some and u lose some but i enjoy the pressure of bowling them and watching them ain't too bad either. I reckon this year's national youth cup stepladder match will be one most people wont forget between Matt O'Brien, Glen Loader and David Porto. Well at least i wont anyways.

Cheers,
Bobba

Back
Top Bottom