IN ANSWER TO MANY QUESTIONS - A LONG READ

bworld

I suppose reading some of the topics in this forum has inspired me to finally post something, I am getting many things off my chest that have irritated me for years, please excuse the long winded way I have explained it all. Here I am answering most of those posts in this one, which is my first post. It probably makes up for many.

The idea of creating a Bowlers Association is fine and justified as George has indicated, the likelihood of bowlers being involved as part of a large enough tournament group is unknown, but I wish you all the best in your endeavours, I can assure you it certainly isn't as easy as it may seem.

The problem with tournament prize funds may be be an issue with Greg, and I am sure that you believe that is true.

The problem with lane conditions in another post from Vicbowler is also a justifyable one.

To enlighten you a bit, just in case you might not have noticed a tournament bowlers group was formed in the 1960's called the APBA (Australian Professional Bowlers Association) then in the 70's & 80's the VCBA (Victorian Competitive Bowlers Association) and then in the late 80's changed their name to ATBA (Australian Tournament Bowlers Association) this was done to create a sense of national involvement and have a more unified Australian tournament bowlers group and attract more sponsors, this worked well to a certain degree, however the only state other than Victoria to carry the ATBA name was South Australia, no other state was interested at the time, maybe that has changed now.

Today both are non existent as far as members are concerned, they fell away because of many reasons, politics, tournament entry fees, lane conditions, lack of sponsorships, lack of open bowlers etc, etc. Both dominated the tournament scenes in Australia a few years ago, having around 20 tournaments per year between them. Throughout the past few years both groups dwinded in memberships and there tournaments fell away, along with declining members, sponsors and centers also stopped supporting.
Today the only ones that exist are The South Australian Cup which has been taken over by AMF, the Australian Open which has been fully taken over by AMF, the Melbourne Tenpin Cup which is still run by the ATBA in liason with Ed Fleming Lanes, the Barossa Cup which is run by Barossa Bowl, and the Warrnambool Cup which the ATBA helps in running along with Neville Vagg and Pins and Play in Warrnambool. All the others are gone.

The ATBA Victoria finished it's membership with 20 bowlers, today it consists of an organising commitee of three individuals.. The three are Ian Nicholls who is the best in Australia regarding running tournament programs and still does, I act as tournament director and tournament organiser when I can, and there is Allan Hill who helps in organising everything from entry forms to budgets etc. We arrange with the center involved and all of us discuss everything there is with the tournament from the smallest thing to the prizefund etc.

The ATBA in South Australia no longer exists. In Victoria as well as S.A we tried desperately to stop the membership decline, but to no avail. Our members were getting older and the new breed of open bowlers were not prepared to put up money to bowl in tournaments.

As tournament organisers we have settled into believing many reasons created the decline in members, below is a general view I personally believe to be the case:
(a) Reactive Bowling Balls - Created a generation of bowlers with averages greater than their skill, they no longer practiced being accurate and consistent, because they didn't need to. Hitting one board was never an option, as it was many years ago.
(b) Recreational Bowling - The past 10 years many centers concentrated on creating an environment that attracted the social bowler, the more they upgraded for social play the more neglected the league bowler, eventually league bowler numbers declined. The next generation of open bowlers have to come from leagues first. Social bowlers never improve that much because they were never that serious.
(c) Lane Conditions - Bowlers become products of their own environment, dry lanes usually create faster bowlers, oilier lanes usually create slower bowlers, easy/blocked lanes create lazy and not so skilled bowlers. When bowlers go to tournaments they encounter conditions foreign to them and struggle, complain and don't go back again.
(d) Coaching - Bowlers no longer needed coaches to improve, because their averages meant they were there already, therefore coaches no longer had to teach the better bowler to be better, they just taught how to score.
(e) Tournaments Prize Funds - Too many tournaments were too top heavy, paying far too much at the top, this only benefits the top 10% of players, 90% of the field is there to cut/cash/ or for experience, they want to come out with something if they can. The top players will always bowl, because they know they will get their money back and then some. The others look how often they miss out and how much more they can afford to miss out.
(f) Handicaps - A National Handicap System needs to be implemented, bowlers because of higher averages no longer bowl handicap tournaments, they stayed away because others with greater handicaps blew them away, a fairer and reasonable handicap system that makes the playing field more level needs to be created.
(g) Rating System for Bowling Centers - Some research needs to be done on how to create a rating system for centers, similar to Golf where you can play anywhere and your handicap is accepted. Far too many bowlers compete on not a fair handicap. That can be something the TBA can work on. eg. If I bowled in a center that scored very high, my average would be greater than if I bowled in a center that scored very low, but always my highest average is used, somehow my actual skill level needs to be measured someway. Bowlers would be more inclined to bowl and compete if they were competing on skill alone.

Tournament Prizefunds - Bowlers should be supportive of the centers that provide you with tournaments, in general AMF probably make more money from there National No-Tap and Strikeamatic tournaments, than running the Super 6 Circuit. At least with those tournaments they are catering for a greater number of bowlers than the Super 6.
In general bowling centers are there to make a profit, and making a profit is what it is all about, isn't that what you are doing by bowling in tournaments. You have to remember that centers in most cases don't have to run any tournaments, they don't always make that much, they certainly don't get much for the month's of planning involved, but they do it to support tournament bowling as theyt always have.

The example used about US tournaments advertising their prize breakdown is fine, but if you use the High Roller as an example, all you get for all that entry fee is one game, but the reward is there if you win, as long as you are lucky. We can all pay AUS$500.00 and play for the $8,000.00 win but who would that be for, the 10% of top bowlers. You would only get about 40 bowlers willing to part with that amount of money competing anyway, that would be great for a semi-pro circuit, but you would need them to compete all the time and only pay half the field. The level of sponsorship involved would be high even at $500.00 entry fee, the costs involved traveling to a national circuit would amount to that alone each event.

Lets be realistic this is a small country, the amount of competitive bowlers is not high to draw from, less than 50% of 1%, we need to build up the bottom to get to the top, build a strong foundation to create an elite level. The amount of success we have in international events is very good for a small country, but how many bowlers do we have that will fill the shoes of all the bowlers who have had international success the past 20 years or so. We need to concentrate on building for the future.

A few words to finish up:
(1) Stop whinging and whining about lane conditions, get a urethane ball if they are too dry, you have to adjust to whatever you bowl on. You don't here golfers complaining about using a putter on the green instead of a driver. Some bowling balls are too aggressive for the conditions that you bowl in, find the right one.
(2) Get someone to help test your skill level, have them stand behind you and tell you whether you are able to hit the same mark X times in a row (start with 5) Then add, with the same speed, same release, same mark/target/pocket. See how many times in a row you can do it, test yourself often. Become repeatable, and Get a Coach!!
(3) Bowling balls are just that, they are not magical and do not produce talented bowlers just high scores some times. get the arsenal you need.
(4) Next time you bowl in a tournament, spend a few seconds telling the tournament organisers how you enjoyed the tournament, or if you didn't, give them some constructive feedback, hopefully it will only improve for next year. Remember they don't purposefully create bad conditions for you.
(5I If you don't like the prizefund breakdown or the tournament format, protest by not participating, get on the phone and let them know. Don't accept the conditions of the entry form and then bowl and then protest, you would be better off and saving yourself many dollars by staying home.

Opinions are always interesting, give some of yours.

Regards,
Patrick Birtig

Patrick,
What you have written is well said! I couldn't agree with you more on this.............As you know with my involvement with bowling over many years, especially with ATBA (As tournament director for many years) , the sacup with rod baylis and bowling tournaments in general. I'm one of those who feel alot older these days and miss the good old day's and would miss them alot more if bowling was still the same as them.........but it's not. The younger ones of today don't know any different........
Best wishes to ya!
Tony Stoppel
(a devoted bowler for many years)

Thanks Tony,
I have retired from tournaments as you have, I now concentrate on speaking to centers and organisations around the place, making sure that we develop tournaments and events that encourage many bowlers into participating in some form of competition.

We have a void happening between the graded bowler (180 and below) and the 200+ bowler, that gap is one of the reason's why we don't have an ATBA member base any more.

You had SACBA in S.A and we have MTBOV in Victoria, I know that the MTBOV had over 250 members in the early 80's, they started around the same time as the APBA in the 60's, there memberships now amount to around 60, there tournaments attract 25 - 35 bowlers now.

The ATBA used to draw from these organisations because they encouraged a structure of divisions starting from low to high, as you got better you moved up a division this worked fine from the 60's when then they started, until around the early 90's when they dropped the open division and this created the void. They were probably justified at the time in doing this, but they had no idea of the concequences later on. The ladies had the WTBO which had several hundred members also, things were really healthy in the 70's and 80's for the female bowler, today they don't exist.

Any organisation or bowling centers that want to put on tournaments where we have bowlers competing against each other at the same time, are the ones we are trying to encourage, too often back then everyone was segregated, when they should have come together, we now have far too many bowlers not seeing each other, therefore not respecting the skills of the better bowler, that is why we don't have hero's in this sport. Too often your skills Tony, Silvano Prez, Kevin Harding, Brenton Davy etc, Ian Bradford, Frank Ryan, John Sullivan etc, went unnoticed because no one outside the open circle saw it. And your's and everyone elses were quite good achievements, NO REACTIVES and TOUGH CONDITIONS made it much more special, those were the days when you had to hit a board to score.

We had a tournament at Ed Fleming Lanes last Sunday where we had a full field of 84 bowlers for a one day tournament, 42 x 2 squads, they all bowled 8 games scratch in qualifying and cut to the top 10 bowlers scratch for matchplay, then the remaining 74 bowlers had there handicap added, and then the top 10 with handicap played 9 games of matchplay at the same time. The scratch bowlers had a great contest and so did the graded bowlers, there was a 290, 299 and 300 bowled during the day and although the scoring was not as high as you would think, the spectators watched a great tournament. There was a sausage sizzle at the end and everyone participated. The cost was $100.00 and they paid the scratch champion $1000.00 and the graded champion $500.00, 50% of the field cashed.

These are the tournaments we are trying to encourage, S.A should be doing something also, we had seniors, ladies, open bowlers, junior bowlers, youth bowlers, graded and average bowlers all competing at the same time. It's amazing how much respect you get as an open bowler when this wide range of bowlers compete on the same conditions at the same time, the level of skill or lack of skill is immediately highlighted.

We are fortunate to have a geat deal of youth bowlers at the moment, they are reasonably well skilled, hopefully they will develop the new open bowler for the next 20 years, time will tell.

Iv'e said enough, I think you get the idea, I will now get off my soapbox before I fall down.

Regards,
Patrick Birtig

I think you'd probably agree with me Patrick if i said the tournament on Sunday, as far as numbers, scoring etc goes, was the closest thing i have seen to what ATBA events were like over here around 7-10 years ago. Sure there werent alot of the old names or people you would find at majors but a full field with reserves hanging about seeing if they could get a run was something that hasn't been seen for a long time.( i should know, i was one of them and got lucky!) Hopefully this is a good sign for the rest of the year here( a full Warnambool Cup with the Friday night squad brought back to fit everyone in is something i'd like to see, hopefully everyone down there is thinking along the same lines)

hello patrick

years of experience in coaching, supporting, bowling and spectating have given you the right to voice what you believe, and even most incredibly is 100% correct.
i dont know of the 60's or 70's but can vouch for the rest.
i never was and never will be a great bowler........
a competitor......definately, bowling against the greats was a pleasure and to score like them in the 90's and 00's was beyond dreams........but alas it was all a false fabrication of built up conditions and magic balls......
we all started at some stage with the 140 something averages and slowly built up to the magic 180, there we found it difficult to move on to the next stage, the magic "200 club"........thanks to the mtbov and the like some went on and learnt the proper skills to be at the top......and stayed there for years......
bowling era's come and go, have their ups and downs, their magic and sour days.....it looks as tho they're about every 10 years or so...... so based on history we should be at the bottom end of the bad times......
administrators, centre management and coaches should now be building for the next era.........not just a quick fix, but a sound plan for the future.
what made it great in the past may not work now in our hi-tech world now and beyond, but pick the guts out of best and add some new ingredients.

i beleive that qld (and not at all any bias here) has that future plan already in place.........

people like gail torrens are out there busting their arses and building from the juniors and schools for our next generation.
mary flower and her supporters spend countless hours preparing each "twin tour" torney and attracting unbelievable numbers in a "mtbov" like format.
her personal encouragement to the "up and comers" and the "just want to have a good timers" is outstanding ......thus creating a sense of willingness amongst all bowlers to keep coming back, time after time......
.............similar to the days of phil brookes in the vcba.
.........over the past 3-4 years we have missed those important building blocks for the next generation of bowlers and now have paid the ultimate price........lack of numbers.

we may see the "the good ole days" return someday, but its only thru hard individual and group efforts......by everyone.

Hi Trevor,
Well said, good to see your still knockin them over.

I realise you were a great advocate of the MTBOV when you were in Victoria, I was a member also for 17 years, the good that organisation did for decades was outstanding, they are a spent group now and may well be for a few years more, they may build up to there former status, but that is doubtful, bowlers don't want to be part of a bowling group today as much as they were all those years ago, which was one of the points I was making in my earlier replies.

As far as Queensland is concerned, it was a wilderness for bowlers a decade or more ago, the past several years we have seen there has been a buildup of talent coming out of that state, and is starting to influence the tournament scene now. A great deal of that credit comes from coaches and tournament administrators, centers that support tournaments etc. I know Mary and Gail and I am aware of how much work both do in developing bowlers, they should be commended for there efforts, without them Queensland would not have what it has today. It takes many Gail's and Mary's to develop a great tournament scene around Australia, and that is what we have to do, believe me we have been busting our gut's down here as well, it is very hard to see a great tournament scene self distruct like we have.

I agree with you Trevor, I believe we have come to the bottom of the bad spell, things are looking up. One significant change which has been made the past few years is the introduction of the Youth rather than the Junior, we have for years been struggling to develop young bowlers and keep them throughout the adult yeras, unfortunately they grow up and turn 18 and many leave the sport because the transition from junior to adult was a bit much, today they can compete much longer and with the introduction of youth leagues and tournaments, the bowling scene is looking rosy again.

Thanks for your comments Trevor, hope many others have opinions like yours.

Regards,
Patrick Birtig

Back
Top Bottom