2007 Rachuig

bm2

I'm still standin'
Yeah, I know that we only just had the rolloffs for the 2006 event, but just came across this interesting snippet on the TBA page following on from the announcement of the 2007 Nationals venues:

"Under the guidance of the Australian Sports commission, TBA Ltd wish to announce the rezoning of the following events:

2007 Rachuig Trophy:

Participation in the 2007 Walter Rachuig Trophy will be limited to:

* one team of seven males and one team of seven females representing the following areas of Australia - Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and Western Australia.
* any other team(s) that TBA may from time to time wish to invite"

Same goes for the Youth teams, only one Qld team.
The blurb for Walter DeVeer & President Shield is different in that it refers to teams representing Sth Qld and Nth Qld, and not just Queensland as per Rachuig & Youth.

From having to rolloff for rauchig when we were one state many years ago qualifying for Rauchig or De Veer would be a logistical nightmare, the costs in travel & accomodation is prohibitive enough alone to stop people having a go.

Surely this cant be a serious proposition, what sis the logic behind all of this. Some one sit me down like a 6 year old & explain it to me because I just dont understand why this would be even suggested let alone serioiusly considered.

The words "Under the guidance of the ASC" roughly translated means if you don't do this we will withdraw our funding for the Sport.
I don't know the extent of the ASC funding but obviously TBA have summed up the positives and the negatives of following their directive and decided in favour of complying.

will QLD roll offs be held over two weekends .One in NQ other in SQ

No-one can answer that question at this time. Both halves of the State need to think about it first.

Quote: "* any other team(s) that TBA may from time to time wish to invite"

So invite a team from New Zealand and a team from NQ. Duh...

It is a bit hard to swallow when you think we have just had one of the most succsessful turnouts for Rachuig in many years......:confused:

I suppose if you think about it, the prohibitive costs of having to rolloff in both ends of the state, as fair as it would be, brings back the argument for total selection of Rachuig. Not necessarily the better option, but definately cheaper as far as the bowlers who will again have to dig deeper to cover the extra costs.

Just for curiosity, Andrew, does TBAQ actually receive specific funding from the ASC or TBA for the Rachuig team????

Broni

No Broni.There is no funding from TBA whatsoever. TBA doesnt give funding to any States. TBAQ derives its income from the Qld State government and the programs and courses it manages to promote either to Bowling Centres or individuals.

In the past the ATBC used to provide a small subsidy to the States for airfares however even that dried up in the latter years of ATBC.

The Board of TBAQ has made several attempts in the past to levy a fee of $1 from each Qld bowler however all these attempts have been rejected by large majorities at those AGMs.

Some of the larger regional Associations used to donate to State Teams however that has also dried up in recent years.

GREAT so bowling in Queensland just took a backward step. Just when i was starting to enjoy not having too travel done to brisbane every year to roll off for the QUEENSLAND team. Does this mean i have to take back everything i said about George and his fairy shot at Melbourne two years ago.

brown beach boy said:
GREAT so bowling in Queensland just took a backward step. .

Sam,

Queensland bowling hasn't taken a step backwards - WE'VE BEEN PUSHED!!!#-o

Just wondering how the Tba came to this decision:confused:

I just went back through the results for Rachuig for NORTH QUEENSLAND since 2003 first year of Rachuig for the Nth

2003 Combined Points Overall Nth Qld 5th
Men 7th Women 6th
2004 Combined points Overall Nth Qld 6th
Men 5th Women 8th
2005 Combined Points Overall Nth Qld 8th
Men 5th Women 9th

I urge all bowlers who feel strongly about this decision that not only affects Nth Qld but Sth Qld and New Zealand to let the Tba know how we feel about this decision

From what it says TBA have the right to invite any team which includes New Zealand so they can still be invited into Rachuig.
Chris

Obviously someone in a glass house who has never visited North Queensland and has no idea of just how much it costs us to travel sits in an armchair and makes this disgraceful decision. When there was the Queensland Team a few years ago the cost of NQ bowlers going to Brisbane to Roll Off, Training Camps and the Fundraising Circuit was so prohibitive that we just had to stay in NQ and wish and hope. We get the invite in 2003 and now back to the stark reality. Shame no one from TBA paid NQ the courtesy of advising us of this decision.

I think one of the questions that should be asked is What is the extent of the ASC funding, and how is it applied?

If the ASC argues the TBA is not supporting truly Representative State teams, it would imply that their funding is purely directed towards support for the top end of the Sport only.

(This argument is supported by the fact that De Veer has been left untouched.)

As none of the funding reaches the Rachuig teams anyway I cant see why the ASC would be so concerned. I would have thought that by NQ having its own Team, it would uncover more bowlers with top end potential who might be capable of representing Nationally.

Obviously the ASC doesnt see it that way.
It would be nice to know exactly where their funding goes though.

One would hope that someone has the intestinal fortitude to to give the TRUE facts regarding this situation. NQ has bowlers who have travelled Australia wide to compete at the top level of this sport and now have been rewarded for their efforts with the chopping block.
Whilst I do not know all the details of the ASC funding, I know it has cost me a lot of money to represent NQ the past three years. I like everyone else in our area have to go without some of the luxuries of life so I can compete in a National competition. Would be good to know where all the ASC money is channelled and who gets the reward

I fail to understand how not having NQ Rachuig Team but still having a De Veer and President Shield Team would be of any benefit to the Asc. The natural progression from President Shield is to Rachuig. It makes no sense to have one and not the other.

I don't know the details of Asc funding but I do know that Tba has not put any money into NQ Rachuig.

Maybe Tba have their own agenda and are using the Asc as scapegoats.

Something smells very fishy, I don't think we are hearing the whole truth.

I thouht the aim of Tba and all associations for that matter, is to foster and grow the sport of tenpin bowling in australia.

Doesn't sound like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a way out of this which might be worth trying.
If TBA were to invite SQ to be the invitational team one year and NQ the next year, both could participate.

The roll-off for the Official Qld State Team could be held up North in 2007 and it would be open to all Qld bowlers.

There would also be a roll-off down South just for the SQ Team which would be the invitational team.
The following year 2008 the roll-off for the Official Team would be held in the South and a separate roll-off for the NQ invitational team would be held up North.
That way each half of the State gets a fair go.

Back
Top Bottom