Whats it like to bowl a 300

S

Showboat

hey pplz :D
my question is for the pplz dat have chucked a 300
some ppl reckon u got 2 b lucky to do it
what it like to do it adn how did ya feel bowling the last shot 2 do it
l8r pplz :p

Good question.........ummmmm - on the pretence that you need luck to do it - Your dead right you do.
I managed to finally nail a perfect game about six months ago after being very close about two-dozen times - and bowling four unsanctioned ones as well.
I've seen guys at Moonah who have thoroughly deserved to shoot 300 be totally robbed on that fateful final shot.
Ellis Harris - Cold 8-pin 299, Norm Goodwin Cold 7-pin 299, Paul Oakley Solid 10-pin 299, Paul Oakley Solid 4-9 for 298 - being ones that stand out.
Mine was lucky in that I struck on the brooklyn in the 9th and 11th shots and bumped the ball into the approach on the 12th shot.....dead flush :wink: I still maintain had I not "played basketball" on that last shot I would have left the solid 4-pin for a 299.
There are so many bowlers, not only at Moonah but Australia wide who have more talent in their left toe-nail than I have in my whole body that haven't scored the ultimate.
Makes me realise just HOW lucky I was.
How was I feeling on that last shot - surprisingly I was that "Zoned in" on that night I was actually pretty calm - I even remember standing on the approach on the 12th shot, taking a deep breath, looking about two lanes across from me and saying to myself "it's monkey off the back time, Matty boy" :lol:
Just super confident that night.
Subsequently since that fateful night I've had the first 7 or better 14 times - but haven't done it....some have been better games too.
Some people say that once you bowl your first 300 they get easier to bowl - I find the opposite - with everytime I have a big string going - someone comes down and says "Yaw gunna frow a free hundrid" - or I put pressure on myself because I know how to do it now - hence I shank the shot and don't strike.
I must admit I don't quite get the "jelly legs" like I used to - but I'm not Mr Super Cool either 8)
The feeling of doing it - I was on a high for about 2 months afterwards - I was extatic - and most of all - in a state of shock. :eek:
Sex is great - but that was even better :D

I know plenty of guys (as we all do) who have got to the 12th frame and completely stuffed it up.
So when I finally got the chance of a lifetime (after 30 years of bowling) I said to myself "keep the speed up" and "don't make a f....... idiot of yourself"
My legs felt like they were made of lead. I was so nervous I could hardly move. But I just did what I did on the first 11 and luckily for me the ball went no more than 2 boards inside my target. I did keep the speed up and it went straight into the pocket. I was ecstatic. Finally my first 300.
A little lucky? Perhaps. Stripped a 4 pin with one slightly high early in the game. The 2nd 300 came just a few months later and it seemed a lot easier.
No nerves, heavy legs still, but I think the Trauma knew what to do better than me. Lane conditions and todays modern equipment play a big part with someone with my limited ability to have two 300s to my name.

hey peoples,

well i have been fortunate enough to bowl 2 300's. the first one i classed as a bit lucky as i went brooklyn in the 9th, all other shots were flush though, but was extremely nervous for the last two shots, legs were like jelly, nearly couldnt stand up!

second one was all in the hole and i didn't get nervous till the last shot. but it definately doesnt get any easier, and luck or carry - whatever you want to call it plays a big part ..... and matty is right, once you have bowled a 300, once you have the first 4 or five in a game, it does enter your mind, specially if you are lined up.

but you just take it as it comes, any score over 270 is a good game, luck generally does the rest!

Having bowled a fair few I can tell you the first 2 were pretty nerve racking for the last couple of shots. My attitude was and always will be is that if you focus on going through your routines and making a good shot the scores will come. For the record 300's - 10, 291 - 299's - 0 :D

George,
Thats an incredible records: ten 300s and nothing between 291 and 299.
You must wonder about those of us with numerous scores in the 290s before finally cracking it.
But you're right, stay focused, keep calm and it will happen.

On ALMOST the same subject ......How many strikes have you had in a row,WITHOUT getting 300 ?
I've had 18 some years ago,and 16 more recently.
Anyone got the magic 22 ?

George, your a brave man. I remember Morty Douglas saying the exact same thing 3 years ago at the Rosemount Cup, 12 x 300 and no 291-299's. Silly, silly thing to say. We, Wimpy Skupin, Frawley, Muir and Co, left the bowl and went for supper, returned about 90 minutes later. We had a look at the score sheet and there in yellow high-lighted pen was a lovely 295 game from the man himself. He was hiding in the corner not looking to smug anymore. Good on you Morty for taking it so well, but remember George, foot in mouth disease is contagious.
George, I'll put up $5 that the next time you get the first eleven you dont shoot 300. (And think about all that extra pressure)

And back on topic, I HAVE NO IDEA !!!!! 2 x 299 2 x 298 1 x 297 all 12+ years ago.(pre reactive)

Stax

I am lucky enuf to have bowled 2 300's also. Both of them 2 years ago, within 5 weeks of eachother. since then i have been close so many times, but once you start thinking about it, its all over.

Both had a couple of dubious shots, the first was no. 11 and the second was no 12. but hey, they all fell over.

When i got to the 10th frame i was shakin' pretty bad, and when i threw that 12th shot, I thought I'd screwed it up. I went to brooklyn and every other pin except for an evil 8 pin was over. I think i said to myself"it's not goin' to fall over". Then, it did, and the whole place went up. For me, it's like i had just woken up from a dream. It felt so surreal, and everythin' was goin' over the top of my head. I said to my mate'It's not real", and he told me it was. I was pretty shocked, and it took a day or two to sink in that i had actually done it. The feeling's amazing, and really strange. :p

first one was great as i was the first in nearly 10 years to do it in the centre i was told , the second was great too, the third and fourth good to throw it but the realism is that i would love to have thrown it 10 years ago when the conditions were tougher and the ball technology wasnt as far advanced. Throw away the ditched conditions and make people learn to bowl in an area of a board wide instead of 15. Bowling is boring.

Matt

You use to win a turkey for throwing 3 in a row, now you get a pat on the back for shooting 12!!!

Stax said:
You use to win a turkey for throwing 3 in a row, now you get a pat on the back for shooting 12!!!

Depends where you bowl it, Stax. If its at fairlanes or cannington, its a pat, but if its some where like warwick, melville, morley... ok all the other centres, its like your a god!

The only 300s Ive ever bowled were no tap... :oops: if only bowling a 'real' one were as easy as them...my 289 is the closest Ive come, and stepping up for the first ball in the 10th frame was so scary, the 11th was worse (hence my huge choke!!! :oops: )...
But I spose, all good things come to those who wait, and I have a feeling, that when I have the front 11, Ill have a solid 9 or 10 staring me in the face... :evil:

george correct me if i am wrong please, but didnt you leave a pocket 7-9 for a 298 during league? im sure ive watched you do it before, because somebody filmed it....like i said correct me if i am wrong. :)

kanafa

hahaha yeah thanks matt,

In a video taped pre-bowl (I just happen to have my camera there) I started the first game with the front 11, let the 12th one go pretty well (so I thought) and left a 7-9 for my first ever 298. Next game, got em all for 300 and a 598 set.

No one cares too much for the set anymore, more that I left the 7-9 :D Even with a decent of 300's under my belt, I still get a bit nervous and the heart rate goes up a notch. I guess over time you learn to control your emotions and focus on repeating another good shot. How's Tim Mack, over 60 last count

This topic must be old, my new stats

300's - 17
299's - 3
298's - 1

mmm... for me the 9th frame was the hardest, the 10th, 11th and 12was came with ease. all i bowled it in da morning so i was still half asleep,

Ash

I think due to my age i was more frustrated in not shooting 300 the times before that when i did have the front 11 i was nervous but more in a revenge mode for the times before, i was 15....but the 2 hardest 300's were for a big payout.

When i was 16 palyed in Malaysia in the Youth All star event....300 payed $15000...lucky for me i had my Jez behind me and keep me online to bag it.

Also another was for a $9000US sweeper win...after shooting 248 first game, i moved 22 lanes to my next pair and knew 299 wasnt enough to win....the 12th was dead flush i felt a huge man come and pick me up and scream YOU THE DADDY...thanks to the Frawls for that haha

Although i have bowled some to win money, nothing compares to the $100,000 Tim Mack won in Singapore the Frawls and Ian Bradford $50,000 each and of course that ridulas ammount of $200,000 Brenton Won at the Super Classic....for those 4 guys i can not explain how nervous it must be...
I nut in my pants for $15,000 let alone $200,000 hahaha

Belmo

PS- i got 18 X 300's and 11 years your JNR.... i own you all day long :)

Back
Top Bottom