What do people want to see

Goodness me !! Look what I just came across in the TBA rule book.

RULE 211 SLOW BOWLING
Players preparing to step on the approach and deliver a ball shall have the following rights and obligations:
a) They may claim right of way only over a player moving to the approach or preparing to bowl on the
lane immediately to their left.
b) Players shall yield to a player moving to the approach or preparing to bowl on the lane immediately to
their right.
c) Players shall be ready to bowl when it is their turn and shall not delay the start of their approach or
delivery if the lane immediately adjacent to them on both the right and the left are clear.
d) From the time the player steps on to the approach, no more than 20 seconds is to have elapsed
before delivery of the ball.
If a player does not observe the procedures outlined in a, b, c and d above, it may be construed as slow
bowling. A player failing to observe these procedures shall be warned by an authorized tournament/League
official as follows:
A shot clock rule..? Even the PBA only do that on TV for commercial reasons! Can't see it being enforced, although there are times I wouldn't mind doing so! What's the penalty?

Come to think of it, imagine a punch up or tantrum over someone enforcing that rule. That'd be hilarious! :D

Or what if you could tackle someone after 20 seconds..? Introduce a defensive element to bowling!

A shot clock rule..? Even the PBA only do that on TV for commercial reasons! Can't see it being enforced, although there are times I wouldn't mind doing so! What's the penalty?

Come to think of it, imagine a punch up or tantrum over someone enforcing that rule. That'd be hilarious! :D

Or what if you could tackle someone after 20 seconds..? Introduce a defensive element to bowling!

Come on you two, don't just concentrate on the 20 seconds I put the post up to highlight the requirement to give way one lane to the right, as opposed to 2 lanes or,.......how many to satisfy everyone? With just a tiny bit of common sense, it has worked well. We don't need prima donas wanting the whole bowl to stand still and stop breathing, while they bowl!!!

Come on you two, don't just concentrate on the 20 seconds I put the post up to highlight the requirement to give way one lane to the right, as opposed to 2 lanes or,.......how many to satisfy everyone? With just a tiny bit of common sense, it has worked well. We don't need prima donas wanting the whole bowl to stand still and stop breathing, while they bowl!!!

Excellent post Jim, That is exactly what we are talking about
and I'm with you 2 lanes is a joke

Wait until you're bowlingin the ninth frame for a critical three bagger to make a cut or even for a $1000 difference in prize money and see how sensitive you get...

In league, I work on one lane. In tournaments, I wait and see. If somebody want's two, it's no skin off my nose. I like it myself, but it's no biggie. Until it's a big shot.

What about bowlers who just run up and bowl? No time taken to settle, visualise or focus. That always seems like they're wasting their entry fee to me and I feel sorry for them.

For them I give this piece of advice; (Unless you've got the front 10) I'll never rush for you. Nor should you rush for me.

Cheers,
Jason

Funny how I haven't seen you guys on the lanes for 30 years. It works quiet well, if people know how to do it. It doesn't slow the game down that much at all.
Cheers Lovey

If bowlers want two lanes of giving way at major tournaments then that's fine, but I think that new bowlers who haven't experienced it before need to be told about it and taught before the tournament, maybe at the tournament checkin and briefing. I've bowled more than enough tournaments now that it doesn't worry me, but when I first started I had no idea about giving two lanes and I had a couple of bowlers getting angry at me! I've got fairly thick skin and I learned pretty quick but I think a lot of new tournament bowlers would be put off by it.. And the sport may not see them back again.

You have arguably the best left hander in Australia to walk the timber asking you the bowler "WHAT DO PEOPLE WANT TO SEE" and all you guys can come up with is giving away two lanes...

IS it really that difficult a question...

Steve i will help you out...AT the K&K in a few weeks this is what i want to see...

I want to hear that Steve Lovell got a yellow card for NOT riding the ball return when he left a cold 7 pin after a 6 bagger...

I want to hear that Peter Martins pants did make an appearance (with him in them) and he made the cut so he gets to wear them both days...

I want to hear that Tiger Bottomley played Jason Walsh and Pilko in the Final and that all the gumby Lefties missed the cut...(woops did i say that out loud)...Oh well should make for interesting thread replies...

Have fun...

Wait until you're bowlingin the ninth frame for a critical three bagger to make a cut or even for a $1000 difference in prize money and see how sensitive you get...
Cheers,
Jason

Yes, been there - done that, don't get 'sensitive.' Even if I did, it's part of my mental game. It's up to me to handle it - not someone else.

Funny how I haven't seen you guys on the lanes for 30 years.
Cheers Lovey

Maybe you missed me, or we were at different ones. Come to think of it, I can't recall you on the lanes 45 + years ago. Then again, I may have forgotten - my memory's not what it used to be.

I want to see the 2010 Australian Masters tournament be a resounding success with
200+ entries and attracting bowlers from all over the globe. Paramount to this result would be TV coverage AND a story or two in our larger newspapers.

If bowlers want two lanes of giving way at major tournaments then that's fine, but I think that new bowlers who haven't experienced it before need to be told about it and taught before the tournament, maybe at the tournament checkin and briefing. I've bowled more than enough tournaments now that it doesn't worry me, but when I first started I had no idea about giving two lanes and I had a couple of bowlers getting angry at me! I've got fairly thick skin and I learned pretty quick but I think a lot of new tournament bowlers would be put off by it.. And the sport may not see them back again.

+1...........

I want to see the 2010 Australian Masters tournament be a resounding success with
200+ entries and attracting bowlers from all over the globe. Paramount to this result would be TV coverage AND a story or two in our larger newspapers.

Indeed. Indeed.
I'm just silly enough to think that there are planned strategies already in place, with some media groundwork already done, to make all that happen. It would be nice ( but, of course not necessary) to know about it.
From a pure business basis, you don't throw large amounts of money ( $100,000 ) at something without planning how to get the best return possible from it.
I am right, aren't I? I'm not really being silly, am I?

Commonwealth Games

I would like to see our national body and its major stakeholders aggressively lobby the ACGA for our sport's inclusion in the 2018 Commonwealth Games should the Gold Coast be successful in the bid to host in 2018.

The successful Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Championships certainly showcase our bowlers to the various CGA around the globe.

Each candidate city looking to host a Commonwealth Games must include a minimum of 10 core sports on their Programme. They can then include up to an additional 7 from a list of optional sports, with a maximum of 4 team sports on their Programme.

Sports on the list include:

Archery Athletics Badminton Basketball Boxing Cycling Diving Fencing Gymnastics Hockey Judo Lawn Bowls Netball Rowing Rugby 7's Shooting Squash Swimming Table Tennis Tennis Tenpin Bowling Triathlon Waterpolo Weightlifting Wrestling

The last appearance for our sport was in 1998, after a 20 year absence our time is due. Having our sport on the optional sport list is already half the battle. The national body and its major stakeholders just need to lobby and close on this.

Check out the latest media release here re the bid.

The sports listed here have all been included on the Programme of at least one Commonwealth Games and are either classed as core, optional or recognised. Recognised sports require further growth within the Commonwealth before they can be classed as an option for a candidate city to choose in the future.

Other sports currently recognised by the CGF that have not yet been included on the Programme of a Commonwealth Games are; Billiards/Snooker, Canoeing, Golf, Handball, Life Saving, Softball, Yachting/Sailing, and Volleyball.

Cricket appeared on the Programme in Kuala Lumpur 1998 but is not currently listed as recognised.

Ten Pin Bowling for men and women was included on the Programme in Kuala Lumpur 1998, when 15 countries competed and remains recognised by the CGF as a sport with potential for inclusion in future Commonwealth Games.

Ten Pin Bowling also featured in the Commonwealth Youth Games in Bendigo 2004.

Check it out at www.thecgf.com

This is what happened at the 2010 Malaysian Open.

Every day during the event there would have an article in the newspaper.

Before the Malaysian versus Rest of the World match was a junior tourament. Most of the kids and parents stayed and watched this event.

The event was also on live TV.

Back
Top Bottom