Re-Entry AO format..... a positive step for the future of bowling

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Whilst AMF have taken a while to get the entry form out there are a lot of positives to come out of this type format. It is prominent in all parts of the world, including the ABT (Asian Bowling Tour) and the EBT (European Bowling Tour), good to see it finally get a decent run in Australia

Here are some obvious benefits

* Cheaper entry - Where else can you compete for $4000 for first with outlaying only $180 for entry?
* Allows interstate bowlers to re-try if at first they bowl bad, if you have spent $600 to travel interstate and bowl, forking out another $100 is nothing towards recouping your expenditure
* Shorter formats will allow more bowlers to be competitive over the duration of the tournament. No more run away winners, this format is exciting and challenging for both spectators and bowlers
* It is a proven way of boosting prizefunds. We can't expect to compete for decent money by paying only 1 upfront entry fee. High Rollers, EBT, ABF all use re-entry type formats to create exceptional prizefunds. In Indonesia 2 years ago we had 400 bowlers who represented 3200 entries and re-entries. It is the only way to boost prizefunds without significant sponsorship which in this day and age is impossible to obtain

I'm glad AMF have gone down this path, let's hope its a sign of things to come.

I still think if you cant sack up for 16 games qualifying and 19 games matchplay you need to put on a tutu!!! :p

Yes i am in agreement with everything that has been said in relation to this format for bowling tournaments.

This is also a great avenue for bowlers who are not quite at the elite level but would like the challenge of bowling in tournament conditions against the best in the country to see how there improvement or otherwise is progressing and what needs to be looked at to move to that next level.

The reason i say that is because of the cheaper cost to enter and even to re enter compared to forking out upwards of 300 bucks just to bowl 10 or 12 games of qualifying.

This if promoted to the bowlers will actually boost the numbers as they will see an opportunity to bowl for 120 bucks in qualifying and then if they get to the last day and see the scores are not all that high and they feel they have a chance to break into the topp standings a re entry will be money well spent.

Please tell me AMF will be adopting this format for atleast the rest of the year to give it a go and then make a decision on its merit in this country after this, i am sure it will be a success if properly promoted to the average to above average bowlers who play league all over the country and i am sure if this takes place that entries into tournaments across Australia will increase immensely.

If this is in play when NSW open is on you can count me in for it along with a re entry as well.

Michael Mclaren
tickets for short lol

After bowling the megabucks tournaments in Vegas this year, I can definately see why this format is so popular in the USA and Europe. If i hadnt made prior commitments after the youth rolloff, id be bowling this as i love the format, its quick, cheap and allows the interstate traveller more cof an opportunity to cut :)

Good move AO in running this format!

Make it an Asian ranking event and send invitation letters to all the bowling federations in Asia. I'm sure most of the top bowlers in Asia will compete in this prestigious tournament.

Well isn't this a refreshing look for a format. I have to say that I'm a traditionalist when it comes to formats for Major events - but given where open bowling is in this country right now - it seems only right that a new concept along proven lines [from what others have written it works well in the US and Europe] should be initiated here in a National event. I guess my only concern at first pass was that "he who had the biggest cheque book wins" - of course I mean this only insofar as qualifying is concerned. But then on reflection - in some ways this format is not all that different in principal to the way South Pacific centre qualifiers were bowled 150 years ago [well it feels like it sometimes] - if you had enough money and enough time you could bowl countless 4 game qualifiers and if luck was on your side - you made the centre final. Well done Brett Best - I hope it's a screaming success.

"if you had enough money and enough time you could bowl countless 4 game qualifiers and if luck was on your side - you made the centre final."

........and if you bowled enough centre finals you got to the national final on points without even winning a centre final ;)

Great Gary - then I guess it has some history to it - has it been well received of not? I've been away you see...and Baz - well yes..except if you bowled well enough and made the "top 2 highest points spots" [at least in Vic and NSW - don't recall what the points deal was elsewhere] you got to the National finals. It certainly was a system that encouraged many bowlers to keep going to centre qualifiers [include me in that lot] who probably had little chance of winning a Centre Final to play in a national event. This was of course sometime before the "Cup" events started where you just paid an entry and you were in.

With the event still running at the moment, does anyone know other than having 73 entries how many re-entries there was?

Also the format has been a nice change especially when Scott Berger can finish 71st in qualifying, win a spot thru the desperado squad and finish up 14th.

Hamster

The format seemed to work. The bowlers who bowled best on the conditions were in the cut. Seemed quite a few local bowlers gave it a go which is great for the future of the sport. After all paying only $120 for entry into the first couple of squads is a cheap way to test your abilities against the best. Certainly a much more affordable way to gain experience than paying $280-300 for normal entry fees. Even the $50 for the desperado squad paid off for the 3 qualifiers who all improved their prize winnings especially Scott. I think this is a great way to go especially for local bowlers who want to gain experience in high level tournament bowling. All helps boost the prize fund and interest levels.

Well done to Dominic on his win, a courteous and gentlemanly bowler to compete with. Loved the format, re-entry saw some new faces that would not have forked out $280. Tough condition, bad shots got penalised and most good shots scored, wish l threw less watermelons in the last 6 games, there was a shot there but my inconsistancies were highlighted on such condition. Well done to all the guys in the top 8, everyone earnt their spot. Would like to see more of this format and pattern in the up coming events, Cheers, Paul.

Dominic was a classy performer all weekend well done on his well deserved win.

Couldn't agree more Paul.

While most people could put up two hundreds or even a few of them in a row the pattern definately ensured that you needed to be consistent as it was the norm for a 160 or 180 game to suddenly appear on your score sheet. A bad shot or bad break here or there was enough to cost someone a qualifying spot.

Getting pretty good at ascertaining the cut mark as I said before I left on Saturday around +40 and it turned out to be +38. Now I only need to post better than those numbers when I am on the lane and also a bit more speed on my delivery would definately help.

I enjoyed the idea of the tournament and had a good weekend - could have bowled better:(. Those who adjusted from one end of the house to other seem to do better.
lanes 27 - 30 seem to be at least 2-5 boards different - but you get that in most houses. :mad:

Although I did not make the finals - obviously - I would like to here from those how bowled on Monday, was it to long a day???

If you started at 0830 & finished 1630 - 1700 ?? seems too long, especially if you had partner watching.

Personally - after cutting to the finals, I think 5 game elimination format would be better - giving those in the top 4-6 a bye in the first round. Mainly thinking of interstate people who want to go home.

Anyway hope they do more of this type of format.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom