Lack of AO entries... what is the cause?

tonx

The entry fee this year is only $260, which is significantly less than what it was 3 years ago. The prize fund has been boosted by sponsorship, so the payout for the bowlers that will score well enough will be sufficient.

For the people that would normally enter these tournaments, why isn't your name down?

For those that have entered, are you honestly looking forward to the event? If yes, why? If not, why not? If these numbers continue, is there any need for anyone but the select few to bother with high end tournaments?

IIRC, there was a thread shortly after last years AO, asking if the disugstingly high scoring pace was the "Answer" to boosting entry numbers.............................................................................................

What is the cause for the lack of entries this year?

i think the payout is too top heavy

675 for 10th is a little low i think, perhaps it should be more

I agree with Matt 200%...
I think if the Top end Tournaments are going to last they need to do a couple of things…

• Find a format that is suitable for every one…
  • Find patterns that are fair for all styles and on both sides of the lanes…
  • I think reduce the top end and have the top 10/15 with a decent payout to make the trips worthwhile…

I also believe that ALL Top End tournaments should have the...

• Same entry Fee
  • Same Prize fund template
  • Similar formats
  • And same amount of Qualifying games for the first stage for your entry fee…

I think this is important so that No one tournament in particular over shadows another…If they don’t then this is why some tournaments may struggle for numbers and some thrive…

The next biggest thing is local support, without locals entering numbers will always look to be on the down side…

Just my thoughts

Jenny & myself have just signed up to build a house.

I know when the middle of the year comes there will be very few tournaments for me as i will be more interested in the progress of our house, and to also start to budget for the next 30 years..

Interest rates are starting to soar so that would have a big bearing on the amount of entries for the top end tournaments.

Just my thoughts.

Alan

All the replies are spot on. Interest rates are too high and people cannot afford it and cannot risk it. What Jase has explain in his post is the way to go for the future for major tournaments.

Maybe a rotation of the majors from state to state to allow the bowlers from that particular state play. Example of this is SPC, stays in melbourne I cannot play, has moved to sydney for 2008, I will be there. At least the bowlers can get to play every time it comes to their state.

Jase.."no one tournament in particular [should] over shadow another".............hhmm, me thinks, with respect, that perhaps you haven't thought this one through completely. I'd suggest that without imagination and risk there will be little chance of growth of tournaments or anything else for that matter. Surely exactly what is needed now is the impact on some [most] major events is the ripe imagination brought about by young far thinking promoters and tournament directors? Following the yellow brick road right now could well lead to disaster.

oh...and xballs - in a period of very real success for tournament bowling in this country the period from 1984 to 1995 - interest rates ran from 12% to peak at 17% in 1990 to run to 10% in 1996. Although I will agree that this is but ONE factor in the financial impact register on people's disposable income - it is a primary one. During this period bowling events really flew - I think the problems right now are more deepseated than just the economy, but certainly the economy is a factor no doubt about it.....I would suggest that the uncertainty of what is around the corner is even a larger factor.

Steve

I also believe that ALL Top End tournaments should have the...
  • Same entry Fee
  • Same Prize fund template
  • Similar formats
  • And same amount of Qualifying games for the first stage for your entry fee…

It is interesting to note that, whilst it has taken some time for it to happen across the board, the TBA Seniors Events are run this way, and the numbers of bowlers travelling are quite consistent throughout the year. Seniors bowlers have less disposable income to consider when putting their names down for these events, and yet they do because it is a format that works - they believe they are getting value for their money.

Tonks: The majority of bowlers who are sitting there reading the entry form wondering if they should take the plunge and enter the AO would probably decide not to bowl after checking out the scores from last year .

I think you will find that the high scoring pace of last year is more of a deterent than encouragement for entries especially from bowlers who have had limited tournament experience.

To further influence them there is little encouragement for bowlers to bowl if they don't feel like they are currently capable of making the top 26. With a minimum of three nights accommodation required for most interstate travellers it is just too expensive a proposition not to mention current fuel costs or airfares. This would discourage most fringe interstate bowlers from even looking in to the possiblilty of bowling.

Jase: Although it is the AO I agree that the prize payout is too top heavy and needs to be smoothed out a bit more within the top 10. A better structure for the bowlers finishing 11 through 26 would also be required to encourage more bowlers to look into it. I don't think all tournaments need to be clones for them to be considered platinum (for lack of a better word) events.

The running of Official spots and the discount for non succesful participants is a positive initiative that seems to be succesful based on the participation levels in the Boronia & Sunshine events over the last two weekends. I would suggest taking this theme a bit further and trying to have a spot at all AMF venues similar to what used to be done for the SPC. This would in the end ensure a sound base for AO entries.

To encourage numbers to cover the costs of spots a points system could be allocated to unsuccesful bowlers with the top 3 bowlers on points getting spots after the last centre holds it spot. Obviously the points setup would be viable in VIC, NSW & QLD but maybe not in states with not many AMF centres. Maybe a liason with non AMF centres again similar to what was in place for the SPC circuit in years past could enable a points system for WA and SA to be viable and have at least the top point winner getting a spot.

AMF could look into talks with Virgin Blue to arrange a deal to allow the spots winners to also get airfares and leave the accommodation arrangements / costs up to the bowlers themselves. Volume should generate viable discounts.

Any way its just some thoughts for people to consider.

Jagga & Broni, congratulations on all the great work you do - interesting - Fred Borden was asked during a seminar in Adelaide he spoke at some years back why his centre in Akron, Ohio [48 laner] was so successful with seniors [almost wall to wall day leagues 4 days each week] - he simply said "seniors, well they are the best market there is - they have almost all of the time and most of the money - and they just thrive on things being regular". Not sure that's how it is here and now - it sure isn't for me I haven't worked so hard since I reached 55 - but an interesting comment nevertheless...the focus being on "the regular" nature of events that they really enjoy.

Steve

Well, i think a lot of these opinions are all correct to an extent, however, at the end of the day, there needs to be a better spread of monies won through say 1 to 20th place. Also i agree with what Christian pointed out, the events such as SPC, AO, Brunswick, should be rotated around the states, then i am sure you will find better participation number throughout.

It's all food for thought.

The topic of rotating the AO, SPC etc has been suggested in several posts in the past. Nothings changed. All people do is talk about it. So how serious are people about improving numbers for tournaments, because all ive seen over the last couple of years is plenty of talk & no action to rectify the problem apart from the State circuits..

I would love to go AO, but problem for me is the cost, as I live in country nsw, for me to go I would need to find around $1200 to go, and with current financial situations,

Just a thought, for AO what would be the problem with having qualifying tournaments in a couple of states, so people who are tight for cash can have a go at a major event, and lets say the top 20 people who to the quail. then go to Melbourne to compete at AO at it current format, this way you could have a lower entry fee but more entries, with money won and the quail. tourn. they could put it towards going to Melbourne.

Just A idea

For me it's not the cost or the fear of not making the cut, but i tend to enjoy the team oriented competitions. That is not to say i won't have a crack at tournaments in the future...

Maybe if the directors had an "encouragement" award or something similar for those first time tournament bowlers who don't make the cut. It gives the 'fringe' bowlers a little incentive to have a go.

Just a thought, for AO what would be the problem with having qualifying tournaments in a couple of states, so people who are tight for cash can have a go at a major event, and lets say the top 20 people who to the quail. then go to Melbourne to compete at AO at it current format, this way you could have a lower entry fee but more entries, with money won and the quail. tourn. they could put it towards going to Melbourne.

Just A idea
Sorry not having a go at you, it's probably a good idea, but isn't this where win a spot tournaments are headed? I've seen these run on the forum and 5+ spots given away.

Sorry again, bad wording as I partly agree, hope you get what I mean.

for me its the cost i wouldn't mind bowling but the costs of going interstate and what i'd lose from work being casual i can't afford

Sorry not having a go at you, it's probably a good idea, but isn't this where win a spot tournaments are headed? I've seen these run on the forum and 5+ spots given away.
Sorry again, bad wording as I partly agree, hope you get what I mean.

HI,

I know what you mean, but they are for one person, I looking at helping 10 to 20 people, with putting money towards there costs.

There are numerous reasons why this particular tournament is expensive compared to most

1. It's Easter, it goes for 3 days, flights are at a premium, accommodation is at a premium (even if your staying at the Sunshine Motor Inn :D)

2. It runs over 3 days, that means an extra night accommodation, another day of meals and entertainment :D, etc it all adds up

3. Combine those to points with a prizefund which is not that attractive for interstaters (5th place is break even) and you have your answer. Just because its THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN the name doesn't pull the numbers like it use to.

With a total prizefund over $30,000 maybe a prizefund like this is more attractive

1st. $5000
2nd. $3700
3rd. $3000
4th. $2800
5th. $2600
6th. $2400
7th. $2200
8th. $2000
9th. $1500
10th -12th $1000

Yes it pays only the top 12 but now its worth the while of interstaters to travel. Just my thoughts.....

Has anyone realised it is clashing with the Vic150? could that, perhaps, be a reason that a lot more ladies are not signing up? If you have the expense of an interstate trip and have to make a choice, as a "fringe bowler" I know I would pick the ladies tournament, rather than clashing with some of these guys.

George i know that sounds all well and good but the issue is poeple want to see the prize fund spread out as 90% of the time its the same people who place in the top 10. the local bowler or legue bowler figures why pay my 280 bucks to keep payin george F to win torunaments all time. These guys bowl to hopefull make a litlt ebit of cash back .
i think it has to be spread, it cant be to top and the top bowlers in this country have to realiser that if it wasnt for the 185 to 200 average bowlers some of who bowl alot in the events wdont expect to win or place in top 5 and if it wasnt for them these tournaments wouldnt be held.

My view is thetop bowlers need to stop being so greedy and bowl to enjoy it not to think how much money they can win

Bowling for me these days is about enjoyment, sure i am competitive but its more abnout catching up with old friends and having a good time

Back
Top Bottom