Is There A Rule ???

Oh, dear, Easy Tiger, which arrows, the closest ones, or the centre [furthest] ones ?
Next, who said, or more to the point, can prove that it landed past the arrows - when we've made up our minds which ones, that is?
The bowler said it did'nt, someone else said it did. Maybe we can borrow some linesmen [woops, linespersons!!] from tennis, but then again they're probably on their way out, and "hawkeye" will take over.
Maybe we can incorporate some similar system into the foullight system? Lofthawk ?
The man from the US of A sees what I mean. A rule can't be some general idea, expressed casually. It needs to be precisely expressed and, yes, legally enforceable.
Lets all just bowl our own game, and let others bowl theirs, their way. Unless a lofted ball lands on your foot, it's unlikely to hurt you.

I think it's pretty clear by watching a few times if it does or doesn't land by the arrows. Oh and by arrows, I am referring to the ones in the heads (ie the first ones). Any further than that on a consistant basis (ie 3 or more times in a session), and I believe that is grounds for action.

If you have 2 or more people that see it, I think that is fairly enforceable personally. Otherwise, how are you going to enforce the rest of the rules in the TBA rulebook?

And you're right - unless it drops on your foot it isn't likely to hurt you. But I can tell you that it is very annoying and frustrating when it keeps happening when you are in your approach about to deliver a shot! Especially on HPL and anvilane!!

I remember about 8 years ago the manager of Moonah at the time (Steven Mallows) getting on the microphone, stopping bowling in the middle of Centre League and ordering Lucock to leave the centre for lofting his ball to the arrows, because of the lacquer being all peeled off in the heads.

There was quite a bit of controversy over that at the time, but it was deemed to be a centre management decision over a league one.
In any case, Lucock stood his ground and continued playing, the manager left instead :confused:

There used to be signs in the centre above the lanes saying "Do Not Loft The Ball", but had gone by the 80's.

The one I hate, is bowling near bowlers who constantly drop the ball, thudding it into the lanes :mad:
End up with a headache every time.......

I will loft the ball all the time, if the lane conditions warrant it.

You can only go so far left before the gutter and capping get in the way. I have had to play lines as deep as 1st arrow on the left, with the ball hitting the lane at the arrows. I'm sure Tiger can verify that. I even did this at Illawarra during Rachuig, due to the oil being burnt up through the middle of the lane... Plenty of oil on the left side, so you may as well use it.

Bowling Balls Australia said:
Similar thing happened with one of our country's very best players at Nationals last year during the Masters finals !!!

This is at no way a dig at Max ... but just want to clear something up as i am sure we all know who he is speaking about and want to make sure ppl do not get the wrong idea of the situation.

There were not too many bowlers at Nationals that didnt get a warning...all the bowlers will tell u it all went a little too over board with the officials.

I mean during Masters and Rauigh (how ever u spell it) :) ppl were getting warned for riding more then 1 lane.....but that is a whole other topic :)

That is all from me..

Is There A Rule

The answer to all this is simple. Bowl to the rules and you won't receive a warning or card.
At last year's nationals the tournament team filled an A4 sheet of bowler’s names who received a warning or a yellow card. Most of these were for disobeying a tournament official's instructions and/or an infringement against the Code of Conduct.
The rules are there for a reason and just because you might be an elite athlete this does not exempt you from compliance and it's penalties.
I totally endorse the tournament team’s actions last year and, as the event organiser, I will recommend that we continue on in the same manner this year. I can only hope that tournament directors take the same stance against infringements at ranked events so that at least we can get some credibility and consistency back into our sport and the rules that govern it.
Even at the last ranked event I attended there was a serious offence committed which should have incurred a red card, however, the TD choice to ignore it. Of course, that’s his choice to do so but it is only a matter of time before a bowler is disqualified, forfeit’s any prize fund and ranking points.
There were not too many bowlers at Nationals that didnt get a warning...all the bowlers will tell u it all went a little too over board with the officials.
I mean during Masters and Rauigh (how ever u spell it) ppl were getting warned for riding more then 1 lane . . .
As for riding lanes, 1 lane only is tolerated (see Rule 201). At last year's nationals this extended to 2 and 3 lanes and therefore warnings were issued. The tournament officials are simply enforcing the rules, which in fact should happen (but sadly doesn't) at all events.
FYI, at 2006 Junior Nationals one bowler, who aspires to be an elite bowler, decided that a 6 lane ride was in order, he received an instant yellow card.
It's not that rules are any different at Nationals it is just that the tournament officials are more prone to enforce them.

Peter,

Thanks for the post, i am not going to get into a debate this issue in this arena.

important thing is to be consistent with the rules as you said.

jimcross said:
As for Centre management, they would be unwise to try to enforce some restriction not provided for in the rules. ...............................................An exact ,foolproof, non-debatable defination of 'lofting' - that will be interesting! Could it be that thats why there's no rule?
There is a rule: My Centre, My Lanes.....NO LOFTING OF BALLS!!!
We have timber lanes and bit of respect for the lanes does not go astray.
I believe 90% of ball lofting is done by bowlers that can not carry or leave an unfortunate split. Alot of these bowlers are repeat offenders and through their own inadequacies vent their frustrations on the lanes.
Maybe part 2 to my rule could be you dent my lane with a bowling ball I get to go out to the carpark and throw a golf ball at your car. Fair exchange I think.
As for an exact definition, keep it this side of the arrows.
Rob

bowlrig said:
Maybe part 2 to my rule could be you dent my lane with a bowling ball I get to go out to the carpark and throw a golf ball at your car. Fair exchange I think.

why not a bowling ball? That would be cool to watch....

Back
Top Bottom