Is There A Rule ???

Muels1

The Chosen One
I have tried to read through the TBA Rule Book to try and find a ruling on BALL LOFTING!!!
I have had a few complaints from bowlers in a league in which i am President of about a bowler or 2 the loft the ball every shot. The ball on delivery lands on or past the arrows. This bowler does this every shot as that is the way he bowls. There are a number of bowlers in our centre that do the same thing for what ever reason they do it but as President of this league i am trying to follow up on the complaints to me by many bowlers.
Is there an actual ruling on ball lofting or not and if there is where can i find it??? What do i tell this bowler???
I was that Tim Mack got a yellow card at the SPC a couple of years ago for lofting and i was told his ball only went to the arrows on the full. I may be wrong about that but that is what i was told tonight!

Tim Mack's wasn't to the arrows...... It almost bounced into the pins.

It happened the shot after which a 2" chunk got ripped out of his favourite Trauma ER.

Wo ok then. But still since he was carded for it there must be an actual ruling on it??? In the bowling ettique guide it says no ball lofting but that isnt an actual rule.

Muels1, if the lanes are wood, than the ball lofting past the Arrow's will definitely damage the lane. If it hits the pines it will leave dents, if it is a high loft it will rip the lane coating to pieces and create black marks.

If the lanes are synthetic it wont leave dents but down that area of the lane was not designed to take ball impact, the lanes may start to crack underneath.

The owners of the Bowling Centre should be more concerned than anyone else, as for bowling whilst somebody was bowling like that, it would be offputting.

willey.

Kelvin,
You're right that lofting is only mentioned in Rule 201, it suggests in this "etiquette" that lofting can damage the lane. Additionally in rule 210 (General Code of Conduct) you will find the ruling that mentions which 'Infractions' can cause a penalty (verbal yellow/red card) to be given - this includes Equipment Abuse.
Combine the two and you could legitimately warn your bowler.
If enough people have an issue (and I would think the Bowl would also), I would suggest that the person lofting should curtail it a bit.

Cheers,

Vaughnn

Kelvin..the best thing you can do is get the manager / assistant manager or one of the staff member to tell that bowler to take it easy with the "lofting" during bowling. It works for us mate. Good luck :D
Alex

Is'nt it amazing? He asked if there is a rule - not if there should be one. If there's no rule, leave your bowler alone, and if anyone feels strongly about it, start considering how you can start a process within the sport's governing bodies, to have the matter reviewed.

I believe it to be a management problem as it is there equipment.There are bowlers in league and socially who throw the ball down at high speed and really smash the pins but thats the way they bowl.

My concern is that if Tim Mack received a warning on this there must be some sort of ruling. You cant warn someone for something just for the sake of it.
In the end i am not trying to start any problems with the bowler in question or any other bowler that does the same thing or for that matter question other situations like this. I am just trying to deal with complaints handed to me being President and try to resolve this situation in our league.
P.S. This is Kelvin (Muels1) just replying with my sisters user name

I would be quite confident that if someone went back through the records as to why Tim got yellow carded, it would not have been for the act of ball lofting, but more to the point, a perceived act of bad sportsmanship.

Similar thing happened with one of our country's very best players at Nationals last year during the Masters finals !!!

Bowling Balls Australia said:
I would be quite confident that if someone went back through the records as to why Tim got yellow carded, it would not have been for the act of ball lofting, but more to the point, a perceived act of bad sportsmanship.
Similar thing happened with one of our country's very best players at Nationals last year during the Masters finals !!!
Thanks for that Max. That clarifys a little bit for me.
Like i have said before. I am not out to start trouble or debate just wanting the ruling on it.

Bowling Balls Australia said:
Who was it Max :-\" :-\" :-\"

Muels 1, you're taking your Presidency too seriously. You had a complaint, you've looked at the rules. Can't find a rule ;that's what you tell the complainants, if they can find a rule, they can approach you again. You've done better than that, you've asked the world on this forum. Guess what, nobody else can find a rule either.
As for Centre management, they would be unwise to try to enforce some restriction not provided for in the rules. For those who say "but there should be a rule", then do something about it. Start the ball rolling with your TBA rep.
Remember, though, that a rule without an EXACT defination of what constitutes 'lofting' will be worse than no rule.
An exact ,foolproof, non-debatable defination of 'lofting' - that will be interesting! Could it be that thats why there's no rule?

Muels 1, Hi, I'm from Virginia, USA, and I've also double checked the USBC rules and can find no reference to lofting as a breach of rules. Among other things, you would first have to define lofting and then break it down to legal and illegal lofting and then further break it down to intentional and unintentional. I'm sure most of us at one time or another have had the thumb stick and had the ball arc out onto the lane (while we tried to hide our face in embarrassment).As you read the books on how to adjust for dry lanes, you might find the author telling you to loft the ball farther out on the lane. Or even find that they consider the time the ball leaves your hand to the time that it lands on the lane as a "loft." I've seen several bowlers here that always loft, in that,as the ball leaves their hand,it first arcs upward before coming down on the lane. Yet their averages are pretty good and the impact on the lane is not too hard. I think you probably should just stick with the comment, "Its not in the rules. If it bothers you,speak to the House Manager, it will bother him also." Or you could speak to the manager yourself and perhaps he will post house rules. Regards to all of you. Walt

Back
Top Bottom