How to shatter a bowlers ambition

I'll give you my perspective. This was my first Rachuig this year, I hadnt done Presidents Shield in Juniors and was told with the rest of the team at the trials "if you dont perform you'll be benched - its that simple". We all knew what to expect.

I didnt perform well during nationals and wasnt confident in the leadup to Rachuig. I didnt feel I had a good line, my thumb swelled like you wouldnt believe and I had trouble with the approaches. And I told the Coach and the Manager of my concerns. I believe I played about 6 games over 2 days and got injured on the 3rd day. So I took up my spot as trying to cheer on the team and lift them when they were down.

Did this discourage me from the sport despite spending over $2K to get there? Hell no. If anything it highlighted what work was still needed and I'll be damned if I sit there and mope saying its not fair. We all know what to expect. Some just want to sit & moan about it.

You been taking happy pills Robert, your so out of character when you say these nice things?

rachuig is dear to my heart you all know that ,i was the first one to put my hand up and say im struggling, bad knees , shot doesnt suit, whatevever proud to bowl just gotta take a big teaspoon of cement and toughen up ,anyhow at least everyone is talking about it, regards from the anonymous sportsperson

A lot of good points have been made, and I personally think that Chris Commane hit it bang on the head.

Rachuig is all about winning, that's all its ever been about. Same goes for every other tournament you bowl in. You don't go to socialize or muck about, you go for the soul purpose TO WIN!

Doesn't matter if you're on the lanes bowling your ass off, or losing your voice cheering from the bench. You are still apart of the one thing that really matter at Rachuig... THE TEAM

Your performance off the lanes contributes just as much as your performance on.

Its just the nitty gritty reality of what Rachuig is.

My 2 cents...

Hi there - this situation is very stressful and our sport is designed to allow 7 players to bowl - the coach plays the best players in the fresh first and then the best players in the transition next - if you are a great player both these line ups are you. If the team were 5 players - no problem. My advice is to be the best you can be. I have had to sit out great players with great reputations when the lane did not play well for them - these things should have been discussed with all players in training - this happens - it is also common knowledge it happens - the truly great players come back even stronger. I do not think the worst of a bowler if they have not had a good Rachuig it happens to us all. Prove your come back power and come back better than ever is the best advice to you and do not allow one tournament to colour the rest of your bowling career. Gail

Back
Top Bottom