A Better President Shield…

Nice post Dion, but there are a couple of points you may have overlooked.
For a start if its such a team effort as you suggest why would you object to everyone bowling a minimum number each?
They are all your team members and if you think so highly of them give them an equal shot.
Every team would be subject to the same format so the end result would still give the first place to the best team.
And secondly if its such a team effort how come the lineup is left to a Coach or Manager who can very easily leave someone on the bench often for mystifying and/or personal reasons. I dont call that Team play.
A minimum game requirement would remove any chance of personal preferences in the lineup.
And thirdly a minimum game requirement would encourage a lot more people to roll off for their State Team.
Time and time again I hear parents say I'm not going to pay that amount of money if the selection of my child in the line up depends on so and so.
Presidents Shield does not belong to a select few.
If your good enough to make the team you're good enough to be in the lineup. And if thats not the case then take a 5 person team and call the others reserves.

Damn Andrew.

You beat me to it.

Nice post. I agree wholeheartedly.

I suppose, after 13 pages of posts, we will all have to agree to disagree.

If for some reason I couldnt find the right mind-set or I could not figure out the lane conditions, or something like that, during the 3 days of Shield, resulting in poor scoring, I would be dissapointed and upset enough. I wouldnt want to be forced to bowl a minimum amount of games while bowling poorly. I would rather give someone else a chance that is in the right mind-set and has the line for the conditions to score high, while go down to the practice lanes and try to figure something out.

Andrew S, we ALL think highly of our team members and if the whole team was equally skilled on every condition that they bowled on, the fresh, the broken, were all equally mentally strong with pressure, and simply being able to handle the excitement, adrenallin then there would be probably be an equal amount of games distributed throughout the teams.. but we are not.
We are all different, we are all at different levels in our physical and mental game and not all of us are able to handle everything the same as everyone else.

The costs associated with President's Shield arent just for bowling the three days. There is the Championship events, Royal Rumble for majority of teams, accomodation, travel, uniforms, food.. not just 18 games.

I bowled Walter De Veer last year. I didn't exactly break any records or set the world on fire. I couldn't handle the condition, the opposition or anything else for that matter. And this was the year the SQ Coach adopted a policy of giving everyone a fair run.
Regardless.
So I bowled quite a lot of games.
Frankly I wouldn't have put me in the lineup at any cost.
So what point am I making?
I came away knowing that I was given a fair go and also knowing that my fellow team members didn't think any the less of me. No single person was favoured over another and each and everyone of us had a great time.(Well except for the vomit bit).
That was my idea of a Team effort. I saw some other teams with the one person sitting out most of the comp. They didn't look happy and despite putting on a brave face I have a feeling that they won't return.
I know this happens at Junior level and I don't think it's right, so as Spanner says I guess we will just have to disagree.

Ok... ive seen enough... THIS PICTURE (Down the bottom).... WHEN U ARE WEARING THIS (OR ANYSTATE LOGO) U ARE APART OF A 'TEAM', which u have made, no matter how many games u get at shield... be in the 'make up team' for rumble.. No Matter WHAT happens YOU ARE IN THE TEAM FOR A REASON... not Just one or 2 people... a quote for a famous guy in SA.... 7 Boys + 7 Girls + 4 Management Team + 1 Psychologist + 1 Fitness Trainer = 1 TEAM...

As Dion said they are there for ALL 18 games.... they may of only bowled 2 games.... BUT... those 2 games will make them want to improve and get games in the next couple of years.... IT will make them more of a bowler... As Dion as said Hosie and Aaron didn’t give a Sh*t how many games they had... they got A GOLD MEDAL for been in a WINNING 'TEAM'... Because I know for a FACT... these 2 guys are training DAM hard for the trails and for next years shield... The only way these 2 Guys can go is UP...

Thank you for your time!

Ashley Warren apart of the BACK TO BACK SA Boys team (2004 & 2005)

Peanut said:
... As Dion as said Hosie and Aaron didn’t give a Sh*t how many games they had... they got A GOLD MEDAL for been in a WINNING 'TEAM'...

Medal, Medal, Medal.

What would you rather have ... the medal you won or the memories you have of the tournament?

The Spanner said:
Medal, Medal, Medal.

What would you rather have ... the medal you won or the memories you have of the tournament?

What do you the think the medal is? A Memory, of there first nationals

They will look back at there first nationals/shield event and think, I was apart of the 'Best Male team for 2005'... and say wow, what a great year... They will have HEAPS of memories of there first year... not just memories... they made freinds that will last for a life time... the Medal just tops it off...

Ashley

The Spanner said:
Medal, Medal, Medal.

Id rather have the gold medal and the memories of the tournament, which they have and so do i. I know that some of my greatest memories of shield are not so much of bowling but just sitting back with my team messing round and having some fun. Shield is about more then just bowling its about being in a different state with a few of your mates tryin to outbowl the rest of australia. Which these 2 young men were a vital part of. Without these 2 being there, we (South Australia) would not have been able to take out the boys division, we were the closest team there, we all got along and this helped us to perform as we did on and off the lanes. No one can take away the importance of these 2 young men to our gold medal effort and no one can take away there gold medal. And i personally thank them and the other 4 bowlers for helping South Australia take out the boys division for 2005.

Brad Mattsson, 2005 SA Boys gold medal winning team member!

Peanut said:
What do you the think the medal is? A Memory, of there first nationals

Ashley

I think a medal is a piece of tin. It's not a memory. It might be memorabilia, but it's not a memory.

Bizrad said:
Id rather have the gold medal and the memories of the tournament, which they have and so do i. I know that some of my greatest memories of shield are not so much of bowling but just sitting back with my team messing round and having some fun. Shield is about more then just bowling its about being in a different state with a few of your mates tryin to outbowl the rest of australia. Which these 2 young men were a vital part of. Without these 2 being there, we (South Australia) would not have been able to take out the boys division, we were the closest team there, we all got along and this helped us to perform as we did on and off the lanes. No one can take away the importance of these 2 young men to our gold medal effort and no one can take away there gold medal. And i personally thank them and the other 4 bowlers for helping South Australia take out the boys division for 2005.

Brad Mattsson, 2005 SA Boys gold medal winning team member!

You guys make it sound like they were lucky to get two games.

The Spanner said:
I think a medal is a piece of tin. It's not a memory. It might be memorabilia, but it's not a memory.

u think that then... cause i STILL have everything i won back in 97' at my very frist nationals... i keep everything cause they ARE MEMORIES.... look i couldnt give 2 hoots what u think.... i know that they will remind them what they were apart off....

And for ur other comment.... WTF???? THAT CAME OUT OF LEFT FIELD

where did we say (or sound like) ANYWHERE IN OUR POST they were lucky to get 2 games..??? u need to think b4 u write mate

Ash

The Spanner said:

If you think a medal is a piece of tin then why would you bother to bowl competitively? You dont go away to a competition just to come last, you go there and you try to win. If you think a medal is a piece of tin, then you dont have the right mindset for competitive bowling.

A gold medal at shield is the most sought after prize in all of Junior Bowling in Australia. Every junior bowler in Australia wants that gold medal. And these two young men achieved this, many greats never achieved this. They can hold there heads up high as being part of the best junior state team in the land.

And just to let you know you contradicted yourself Spanner.

memorabilia.
mem·o·ra·bil·i·a ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mmr--bl-, -bly)
pl.n.
Objects valued for their connection with historical events, culture, or entertainment: posters, publicity photographs, and other movie memorabilia.
Events or experiences worthy of remembrance: a book containing the memorabilia of a life in the theater.

So memorabilia seems to mean an experience worthy of remembrance which last time i checked would be a good memory.

Brad Mattsson

Peanut said:
where did we say (or sound like) ANYWHERE IN OUR POST they were lucky to get 2 games..??? u need to think b4 u write mate

Ash

It's your ATTITUDE that suggests that you guys had 5 players and 2 subs. Your team management, or your coaches, have obviously deemed these guys either 'not good enough' or 'not experienced enough' to only play 5 of the 7 players available for the majority of the games.

And I'll write what i feel, thanks mate.

Bizrad said:
And just to let you know you contradicted yourself Spanner.

memorabilia.
mem·o·ra·bil·i·a ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mmr--bl-, -bly)
pl.n.
Objects valued for their connection with historical events, culture, or entertainment: posters, publicity photographs, and other movie memorabilia.
Events or experiences worthy of remembrance: a book containing the memorabilia of a life in the theater.

So memorabilia seems to mean an experience worthy of remembrance which last time i checked would be a good memory.

Brad Mattsson

You just said it yourself ... in the dictionary .... it's an OBJECT !!! Something you can hold in your hand. That's what a medal is ... not a memory. Do you get it yet?

And I bowl to improve my own game, and for the competition. If I win, so be it, all the better.

"Objects valued for their connection with historical events."

Such as winning shield, an object which reminds you of winning shield, with 6 other blokes from your state, reminds you of the 10 days you spent with them in canberra beating every other state out there.

Do you get it yet?

Bizrad said:
"Objects valued for their connection with historical events."

Such as winning shield, an object which reminds you of winning shield, with 6 other blokes from your state, reminds you of the 10 days you spent with them in canberra beating every other state out there.

Do you get it yet?

I get it that you can't understand what an object is.

The Spanner said:
I get it that you can't understand what an object is.

I think we've been over this. An object is a gold medal from shield. It is a piece of memorabilia. And memorabilia means something which reminds you of a good memory. A good memory is winning shield. For which you get a gold medal. Which is a piece of memorabilia etc etc etc

Bizrad said:
I think we've been over this. An object is a gold medal from shield. It is a piece of memorabilia. And memorabilia means something which reminds you of a good memory. A good memory is winning shield. For which you get a gold medal. Which is a piece of memorabilia etc etc etc

Could be a bad memory?

Peter I think you may be forgetting that most of the Juniors in this thread have probably had their Shield passages paid by a parent or relative.

Maybe one day when they emerge from the cotton wool and face up to mortgages car payments and everything else involved with raising a family, they will come to realise that things change.

They might even question the value of something. Maybe for the first time.
And then when they realise that its going to cost x thousand dollars possibly just to warm the bench they might even consider a rethink.

Yes principals are fine as long as someone else is paying.

Back
Top Bottom