A Better President Shield…

To Bigun,

Why don't you stop hiding behind that screen name and tell me your real one, then we can discuss this face to face, or are you to scared to face me? Just because I have an opinion and then have the courage to voice it doesn't mean I need to take shit from people like you.

And no, this has nothing to do with the bullshit decisions that some selection committees choose to make this has to do with people like Aaron and Michael that go and spend $2000 to represent they state and end up warming benches, why don't you read a post before you post or are you unable to comprehend that?

Not wanting to start anything with this comment, but when was the minimum number of games removed from shield. I know that this rule did exist at one stage, and l am talking a number of years ago, like the mid 80's early 90's. (it was only 2 games by the way)

I have seen in a numebr of posts the referance that if the minimum number of games was introduced that the teams would loss, so does that mean all teams will now loss and no winner be declared for the event.

I guess my question is that if all teams had the same rule of minimun number of games, would this not make it more of a challange for all teams to ensure they were working harder in the lead up to shield, to improve thier games, also make it more of a challenge for when to play the bowlers who are not performing on the day.

If the rule was to be introduced that a minimun number of games be introduced, could you not say those games had to be bowled by game number 10 say as an option, and make it that all bowlers must bowl 4 games. This way the coaches get feel for all who is bowling well, the team can then put in its strongest line ups against the stronger states, and have the stronger line ups for the end of the event when it is open slather on who bowls, as all bowlers would have completed thier requirements.

I am personaly for a minimum number of games, but understand the reasons behind why this rule is not in place, and accept that fully, and support the team when l am being the bench warmer. If the rules are changed or not, it comes down to how the team members ensure those bench warmers are made to feel they participated in the teams performance, as after all it is about the team performance.

xpense said:
would this not make it more of a challange for all teams to ensure they were working harder in the lead up to shield, to improve thier games.

Should this not be the case anyway?

Well some people have the answer," THEY WERE NOT WORKING HARD ENOUGH LEADING UP TO SHIELD ".

I don't think so.

willey

Well i couldnt be bothered readin this whole thing, but i wanted to say, bowling sheild, or even being in the team is a great experience, ppl might forget that we live with each other for 10-11 days during sheild, and thats where the best times come from, and sheild just tops it all off. Goin through and readin some of the posts abuot ppl bowling shit games and still being in the next games, obviously this person does not really know what they are talkin about. Bowling for Nt this year was a great experience mainly because of one bowler, STRAZZ. This guy can bowl a 130 game and still be a good thing having him in the line up. The enthusium and energy some lucky ppl can bring to a team is worth a lot, and there was a big difference with simon being in the line up or sitting out. As for only bowling a few games in sheild, i cant really talk, because i bowled all 18. I guess it wouldnt be the greatest thing sittin out all the time, but each team is made of 7 members, 14 in total, and no matter what anyone says, the 14 won it, not a select 10. I dont see the point of ppl coming on here and bi*ching about this crap, its over and no matter what you do, nothin can be changed about it. Im sure if the bowlers who sat out all those games would want to make sheild again, otherwise they might want to think about bowling in general, cause i know if i won a gold medal at sheild, i would want to try for it again! Contribution to the team isnt limited to the lanes, and i think thats a big thing that ppl forget. If a gold medal isnt good enough for those 2 SA boys, what is? i would gladly swat places with them, i wasnt lucky enough to come away with anything, just missing out on all stars and coming 8th in sheild (GREAT EFFORT NT). Rather than starting sh*t, lets just be happy for those who were able to be apart of the whole experience.
Well thats just my thoughts, i hope i didnt ramble on too much
Hamish

Someone told me once that Strazz was the best bowler they had ever seen.

Oh yeah ... that's right ... it was Strazz !!! ;)

I was apart of the 1998/99 winning SA boys shield teams and the same thing happened to Andrew Head, he played 4 games total in 2 years. He didn't perform so the coaches didn't give him a game, simple as that. Also Scott Miles and Damien Hartley played a few games but I would be surprised if they played more than 10.

Sounds harsh I know but hey...he was still part of the team and included in everthing that we did while we were away. At least the boys that didn't play many games this year have got a medal to show for the teams win - we got nothing when we won.

Criggy

They are just dust collectors, mate.

Sure, you are proud when you win one, but the memories are more valuable than the hardware.

Hey Spanner, well I just have to disagree with that being a bowler who walked away from De Veer with 2 Silver medals and the most wonderful memories of a lifetime. They are not just dust collectors mate! They are a constant reminder of just how great the experience was and what an honour it was to be a part of that team, of the frinedships I made and how we worked together and supported each other towards a common goal. Every time I see them I am reminded of that time and motivated to go for the gold one this year.
Never mind mate.....maybe you'll get one this year! ;) Will you hand it back because you are Manager as opposed to bowler and it will only collect dust? No, I don't think so! You'll treasure it like anyone else would.

The Spanner said:
Someone told me once that Strazz was the best bowler they had ever seen.

Oh yeah ... that's right ... it was Strazz !!! ;)

Well he is the self proclaimed best bowler/root/gentlemen on god's green earth... He's also god's gift to women too.

And for anyone who thinks im being mean, Strazz would take this as its meant to be :p a joke!

Macca

Ice said:
Hey Spanner, well I just have to disagree with that being a bowler who walked away from De Veer with 2 Silver medals and the most wonderful memories of a lifetime. They are not just dust collectors mate! They are a constant reminder of just how great the experience was and what an honour it was to be a part of that team, of the frinedships I made and how we worked together and supported each other towards a common goal. Every time I see them I am reminded of that time and motivated to go for the gold one this year.
Never mind mate.....maybe you'll get one this year! ;) Will you hand it back because you are Manager as opposed to bowler and it will only collect dust? No, I don't think so! You'll treasure it like anyone else would.

Ice ...

Congratulations on your 2 silver medals, I'm sure you wear them proudly. When do you get to wear them, by the way?

In 5 years of bowling, I have now more trophies than in 30 years of playing soccer and golf. Bowling tends to give them away at the fall of a pin. I'm actually in the process of ripping the gold plates off them and giving them to the juniors to re-distribute as they see fit.

Oh don't worry, I'll keep the medal. It'll be in my hands when I wave to you from the dias. :)

The Spanner said:
Ice ...

Congratulations on your 2 silver medals, I'm sure you wear them proudly. When do you get to wear them, by the way?

In 5 years of bowling, I have now more trophies than in 30 years of playing soccer and golf. Bowling tends to give them away at the fall of a pin. I'm actually in the process of ripping the gold plates off them and giving them to the juniors to re-distribute as they see fit.

Oh don't worry, I'll keep the medal. It'll be in my hands when I wave to you from the dias. :)
Is it possible that you are not the worlds best soccer playing golfer?

In my limited bowling experience it seems that most of us bowlers do not win trophies on a regular basis, and to receive some form of physical recognition for success is to be valued, even if down the track it collects a bit of dust.
To represent one's state is an even more rare occurance and if the powers-that-be choose to reward success in such an endeavour with a trophy or medal then so much the better. The vast majority of us wont get more than one two opportunities in a lifetime to compete on such a level and I personally would treasure such a momento...

Den

Den said:
In my limited bowling experience it seems that most of us bowlers do not win trophies on a regular basis, and to receive some form of physical recognition for success is to be valued, even if down the track it collects a bit of dust.
To represent one's state is an even more rare occurance and if the powers-that-be choose to reward success in such an endeavour with a trophy or medal then so much the better. The vast majority of us wont get more than one two opportunities in a lifetime to compete on such a level and I personally would treasure such a momento...

Den

You should come and join one of the leagues at our centre.

They give out trophies to 1st, 2nd and 3rd ... right down to about 10th. Then, they give out best scratch series, handicap series, scratch game and handicap game. And if you miss out .... well, there will be a special little participation trophy waiting for you.

The memories are precious, but the pool room is a bit too full.

The Spanner said:
You should come and join one of the leagues at our centre.

They give out trophies to 1st, 2nd and 3rd ... right down to about 10th. Then, they give out best scratch series, handicap series, scratch game and handicap game. And if you miss out .... well, there will be a special little participation trophy waiting for you.

The memories are precious, but the pool room is a bit too full.

Maybe you have a case for lower league fees in return for fewer trophies at seasons end...

The Spanner,
I do believe that this topic was about the amount of games that a few juniors got to bowl during President's Shield, not how many trophies are in your house.. This has nothing to do with winning trophies or medals, just the fact that the SA boys that sat out received one was a bit of extra information..
Please stick to the topic..

*chook :>* said:
The Spanner,
I do believe that this topic was about the amount of games that a few juniors got to bowl during President's Shield, not how many trophies are in your house.. This has nothing to do with winning trophies or medals, just the fact that the SA boys that sat out received one was a bit of extra information..
Please stick to the topic..

Alicia is right on this please stick to the topic mate
;)
Now from my point of view, if this "minimum game rule" was introduced, it would make sheild more challenging and may give the lesser teams a chance at getting a higher placing!

Catch Ya Laterz
BJ

Back
Top Bottom