Too good to get rid of...

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
OK, everyone knows I have too many bowling balls. But that's (in part) because I look after them and they last.

How many of you have balls in your kit that have truly stood the test of time? Balls that years on, are still in your tournament kit because they get it done year and year out? Which ones are they?

I bowl less games than anyone right now and I've got a Haus Resurfacing System in the pro shop. I also clean my gear after every use, so I have more "vintage" pieces in operation than most, but I think in this age of the throwaway bowling ball, it would be interesting to know which ones are standing the test of time? And why..? Why is this ball so useful to you?

I have lots of newer pieces and they're terrific, but this thread is asking about the ones are just too good to part with. The common thread seems to be their adaptability to carry from different parts of the lane and predictable, "round" shape in the midlane. The first two tie for "best bowling ball I may ever have drilled" and the Momentum Swings are only a hair's breadth behind them.

OTTOMH, standout pieces are...
  • Motiv QZ-2 (2010)
  • Radical Slant Hybrid (2012)
  • Columbia Momentum Swing (2 of and a NIB out back) (2009)
  • Roto Grip Super Cell (2012?)
  • Motiv Primal TV-4 (2011)
  • Roto Grip Theory (4000 grit + polish - thanks for the tip, Brando!) (2010)
What are your favourite pieces of "old" gear still going damned strong..?

Cheers,
Jason

Over 3 years old still going strong, not a vintage piece but none the less my storm IQ tour pearl is so versatile on a house shot to a sports pattern and still has plenty of carry.First ball in the bag wherever I go.
ball-medium.jpg

Last edited:
me personally would love to find a storm el nino wrath ball again when l gave up bowling in 2001 l sold all my gear to stop the temptation of wanting to bowl because of heart and weight condition but have resolved all of this now and have just started back but having trouble finding the right ball so far have two hammer balls a nail and taboo a track 400a roto grip totally defiant and latest purchase was a pin buster ball brand new aswell but just cant seem to get it right with any of theses wish l could just find the el nino wrath ball again

hi again well l can tell you l don't miss the roto grip sd73 l was the fist person in the country to get one had to have it imported from usa through a bowling company in queensland after l got it and had it all set up and $600 later l rolled it 3 times in a league game and gave it away to the guy next to me, for me biggest piece of crap l ever had

Motiv Sigma Tour

These are both current but soon to be discontinued...
Motiv Primal Rage Pearl
Motiv Covert Revolt

Then again, as many of your know, my preferences are totally biased!!!
All great balls, buy newer than I had in mind. I still have my Motiv TX-1 from circa 2007. It's still a great ball, too. But the QZ-2 is the daddy! I also have an SR-2 NIB awaiting holes one day...

me personally would love to find a storm el nino wrath ball again when l gave up bowling in 2001 l sold all my gear to stop the temptation of wanting to bowl because of heart and weight condition but have resolved all of this now and have just started back but having trouble finding the right ball so far have two hammer balls a nail and taboo a track 400a roto grip totally defiant and latest purchase was a pin buster ball brand new aswell but just cant seem to get it right with any of theses wish l could just find the el nino wrath ball again
Looking at the spec on that ball, it would be a straightish piece now. Curelyon cover with particle additive and a very rolly high diff core all adds up to a very soft shape on the lane. Handy some days, but there have been plenty of balls since that will do that job without the maintenance demands of a particle cover.

Ah JD,

what a question, I missed the entire first two and bit decades of the reactive world. add to that my love of recycling balls. Throwing 16's I have a few hand me downs.

In my bag most days is my Wine U-Dot, hand me down from Mr Cannon. its going to get a rest as I bring out the old Blue Dot I got from you a few months back, going back to basics on the sparing game.

Then I have an old Global Train, nice old ball, the cover is pretty trashed and it had a hard life prior to me.

I have a few old hand me downs from Mr Cummings. my favorite would have to be the Lane Master The Sting - rico drill. cracked around the holes, just threw in thumb slugs in each hole and redrilled. it just rolls nice. If bowling at Mittagong I usually take an old Brunswick Total Inferno and a Black Angle. Any sign of oil and these two become hard to hold.

I often take an old Storm Pyro to league, hate throwing my newer kit because it just doesn't hold up. The Pyro has a two inch deep weight hole that is all cover stock. one of the things I like about the older kit.

All great balls, buy newer than I had in mind. I still have my Motiv TX-1 from circa 2007. It's still a great ball, too. But the QZ-2 is the daddy! I also have an SR-2 NIB awaiting holes one day...
Yes mate, I know but Motiv are a relatively new company, established in 2007, so not a lot to choose from. They have come a very long way since then ;).

In the interests of impartiality, I did like my Blue Hammer and Jade Piranha/C, not sure if they would be of any use to me today. Oh boy, showing my age now!

Last edited:
I am still carrying an AMF XS, otherwise known as "Mighty Whity". The season before last I averaged 216 with it, including a couple of 1000+ sets.

The very definition of a ball way before its time. It sucked in the late 90's because our lane technology had not caught up, but now on the lighter house patterns, it produces that beautiful controlled "hockey stick" reaction all of us power players love and the carry is amazing.

Other balls I had and loved that I wish I could find NIB include
Jade Pearl Pirahna
Tour Boss
Primal Rage (the real one, the Columbia 300 one, not that crappy Motiv ripoff)
And of course the ball no list would be complete without, the Tour Power

Back
Top Bottom