Just how Old is the Oldest Piece of Equipment you own?

L

Levithian

Was just reading around the place tonight and i was thinking, hmm a few people still carry urethane balls (and ive heard stories of the odd person still having a rubber ball), so out of your collection (ie currently being used or just a dead weight) whats the oldest piece of equipment you own?

Mine is a Rhino Pro Black Made in 92 and Totally Wrecked Pirana/c made in 94. Iam positive it will be beaten, so lets see who still likes the older gear.

the only person i know to have really old balls is Robbie Buckly. Rob would you like to share with us your oldest bowling ball. I have many times seen you bowl with that old dinosaur, and still hits like a train.

Which particular old dinosaur were you thinking of, Steve?
Of my three Manhatten Rubbers, the only one I can date positively is the blue/black one, which was bought new in 1959. Has couple 290's on it, and a 992/4 at the Brisbane Cup 3 or 4 years ago. It's been resurfaced to death now though. The black one is older according to the serial number, but I don't know by how much. The acrylic messenger that I use for spares is at least 25 years old.

Still throw my grey angle at Currajong fairly regularly, it dates to about '88 from memory. Also have an Ultra angle and a Sumo in the collection.

And Steve, as far as 'hitting like a truck' goes - sometimes its the arrow, sometimes its the Indian. :)

old balls

Iam 60 years old so mine are pretty old. Oh you mean bowling balls. I sometimes still use my Coota "C" which came out of the arc, it's amazing how hard that ball still hits. I recently bowled a 300 with the old dinasaur. :roll: :shock: :lol:
Ray

The great Robbie Buckley,how are you going Prof.
I hope you have come down from the awesome display you
put in at the Rachuig roll offs.
I saw some of the posts put in by yourself and the funky chicken,
and can feel your pain.
I took your advice and got on the blower to Sam in Ayr.He has obtained a Freak and a Freak Out to try out.Sam seems a good
chap who knows his beans.I am getting one of them drilled this
week for De Veer practice in the Burdekin.I might see you there
as you always chase the money and will tackle the Skins.
I saw an interesting blurb from George F about the Freak Out
and had to get one.If you are reading this George,you made a sale.
As for old balls I have had my Angle since Juniors and I finished
Juniors in 81.I have been bowling with a Rhino Pro and a Purple Beast which are both pretty old.I stopped bowling after juniors but have taken it up again.My mum,Yvonne,says I waited for her to give up so I could bowl again.Many a true word spoken in jest.
Anyway Robbie,I will catch you later,maybe at the Burdekin.
Just as a side bar,in the rolloffs I was lost on the Saturday,with a 163 av. but bowled a 186 av. in the harder conditions on the Sunday.Go figure! See you later Mick D

Hi Mick, yeah, still recovering from the trauma that was Kirwan. One thing is for sure, if I ever lose my sanity to the point of setting foot in the place again, I'll have my trusty Manhatten with me. I might make the skins if my thumb heals up in time.
The Freak is a nice ball - good choice.

I was given a Columbia Tite-Line about 5-6 years ago, im not too sure actually how old it is but i do know its a rubber ball and there aint many of them been made in recent years. It was quite a good ball on dry lanes, and it hit hard aswell. Managed to shoot a 299 with it at Bankstown in '99. :D

well i currently use 6 balls, and my oldest ball is a diesel particle by hammer i think it is a 2003 ball might be a 2002, i am not sure but anyways thats mine

Strazz

looks like RobbieB has blown away the competition before it even got started :lol:

A friend has this rubber ball believed to be about 30 years old. It was found out the back of one of the older bowling centres

I think someone said it comes from Sweden (?). It has no markings or serial numbers of any kind.

It is quite psychadelic; pink, black and cream kind of small pattern of little squares and triangle type shapes... It's hard to explain how it looks but if anyone knows about fractal equations and the artwork that they do on computers using fractals that is the closest thing I can compare it to.. sorry.. lol

If anyone has any ideas about the origins of this ball we would be interested in hearing them..

We've got some pretty old equipment at my place here, most of my family have been bowlers at some stage throughout the last 30+ years and the bowling balls are still here.

Others I have are......
1} Maroon Strikeline - Mid 1970's
2} Blue Strikeline - Mid 1970's
3} Brunswick Crown Jewel - Mid 1980's
4} AMF Buster Ball - 1990
5} Columbia Light Dot - 1988
6} Ebonite Gyro 1 - 1993 {Best eurathane I ever owned}
7} Magnum 10 - 1993
8} Ram 9lb houseball -1960's
9} Red Columbia U-Dot - 1990's
Norm Green shot a Moonah record 801 series {the only 800 in Moonah's 41-years of existence} with a rubber house ball made in about 1964/65 :p back in 1996.

I still see a very attractive young lady in Centre league using an AMF Gold Angle Circa 1985

And Big Schultzy still has an old AMF Strikeline which is all different colours mixed in - looks like either a migraine or someone has puked all over it - he bought that in 1967 he said.

Saw one of these at Greenslopes over the weekend, anyone know the history behind it (how old etc etc)

The ball is an AMF Magic Circle

It's quite interesting that you post that ball Graham. That ball came out early 70's and the concept was that if you were a good full roller (as everyone was back then) :D the orange line on the ball would be a vertical line all the way down the lane. Peter Brierly has one in near new condition and one went on ebay for about $40 US a few months ago.

I tried bowling with it but I'd be stuffed if I could make that bloody line stay vertical, dam those full roller balls lol.

I personally own a Regency 300 which I bowled a real 299 with at Capalaba in a no-tap event a few years ago. My son chooses to play with it now, seems better served trying to run over the cat than going down a lane :D .

G

GeorgeF said:
My son chooses to play with it now, seems better served trying to run over the cat than going down a lane :D

Seems he likes your bowling balls G, especially when it comes to stuffing chocolate easter eggs in your finger holes.

From memory .. the Magic Circle ball I saw on the weekend had a yellow stripe around the ball, not orange. I remember this because it reminded me of that Brunswick Web ball.

Im cursing the day i passed on the chance of an undrilled yellow dot :(

Oh yes,The yellow dot.Back in late 70s,early 80s,I bought one because there was a promo plastered at the old Currajong Bowl in Townsville how a junior had got it drilled and then bowled a 300 with it.The next newsflash was that he had bowled a 900 series.The best I got out of it was a 688 in President Shield rolloff.
I didnt make the squad and never bowled it again.
As the story goes I was 17, full of Testerone and had a full crop of bright red hair.Not a good mix as the yellow dot found out.
I am now 39 and wish I could put the same stink on the ball as I did back then.Oh well Memories I hope the yellow dot found a good home.

Oldest ball I currently use as a 1993 Burgundy Hammer.

Other Balls floating under the house are.

AMF Black Angle
Brunswick Crown Jewel
Brunswick Black Diamond
Brunswick Black Beauty
AMF Impact KA-47 or something
2 Columbia Yellow Dots - one bleeder and one with the ABC Masters logo
Ebonite Maxim IV Rubber
Columbia Lite-Dot
6lb house ball with pink stars - from Bankstown Bowl
AMF Amflite plastic
Black Nelson Burton Jr.
Columbia Beast

Adrians ball bin/practice arsenal(spending their days in mt gambier)

Omega
Omega LM
Coral Triton
Crush R(cracked, but whose isnt!)
Sumo
Cobra
Wine U dot
Black U dot
Black Diamond(used to be a monster on laquer)
Ultra Angle
Original Pihrana(one day,probably needs about $70 worth of cleaning up though)

what a pile of crap!!!!!!!!!!!('cept for the top 3)

i know someone with an undrilled yellow dot with abc masters inscribed on it.. thats about the oldest ball i can recall seeing... worth a mint too apparently ;)

Back
Top Bottom