Think you're good?..How do you compare?

wchester

Bowling Tragic
JASON THOMAS UNCENSORED - These Guys Aren't Just Good, They're Scary

#1 – Tour players throw it better than you.

You think you throw the ball pretty decent? How many shots a game can you literally walk away from immediately after feeling the ball come off your hand and know with 100 percent certainty that the ball’s going to strike? When I bowled league the other night, that happened to me exactly once in three games…and I’m a 220+ average league bowler!

With the pros, it’s probably between five and seven times a game. And on the ones they miss, you’re talking about a board off at the arrows (16 feet away)…maybe two or three on a really wild pitch. That’s not to mention how consistent their tilt and rev rates are. The best players get out of the ball the same almost every time, with near-perfect direction, speed and rotation. It’s no wonder they only need a small fraction of area before they start lighting up the scoreboards like a pinball machine!

#2 – Tour players know their equipment.

If you know a little about bowling balls, you know that, at minimum, to be fully prepared you need one that hooks a lot for oil, one that goes fairly straight for dry lanes and one for in-between (hence the popularity of three-ball rolling bags). A lot of you probably ask, “Then why does Chris Barnes need 30 freakin’ bowling balls?” Here’s why:

The ball is merely the tool that the player uses to knock over pins. When you hear a player talk about “matching up”, what they’re saying is that the ball they’re using gives them the greatest possible area on the lanes, as well as the best possible angle into the pins to maximize the possibility that they’ll knock down all ten pins. The problem for the pros is, with all the high-rev rate players on Tour, during qualifying the lanes change (sometimes significantly) about every three or four frames. This requires the players to vigilantly track their ball reaction (put simply, the path the ball takes to the pocket) and to not only stay on top of, but even anticipate when the lanes are going to change in order to continue striking and to avoid taps and costly splits.

The role bowling balls play in this rapid transition is that players not only need to have different balls, but they need to have each of them catalogued in their brains with different options for how each is different from another so that what the player is seeing out on the lanes can be matched with a ball solution quickly and effectively. To use Barnes as an example, if you talk to him before a block, he already has a plan of attack in terms of which balls he expects to go to based on his knowledge of the oil pattern, surface and most importantly, which players he will be following as he moves throughout the bowling center. The thing that makes Barnes great, though, is that he’s always willing to make alterations to that plan if what he’s seeing doesn’t match up to what he was expecting. That’s where all those extra balls come into play…because if he sees something different, he usually knows exactly which ball in his arsenal to go to that will help him best take advantage of what is currently out on the lanes.

#3 – They know how to set up the lanes for themselves in match-play.

I always thought this one was a bunch of BS and always favored the philosophy of just playing the lanes as they were. After watching the World Series, I’ve concluded that that would be the mentality of a guy who goes out 0-4 in the Round of 32. Tour players absolutely manipulate the lanes for themselves, and also absolutely have a huge impact on how their opponents play the lanes (except in the case of lefty versus righty match-ups of course.)

Some players (like Duke) are better at it than others, but even Norm can be outfoxed (as was the case in his Round of 8 Match in the Scorpion Championship against Tom Smallwood). Here’s how it usually works:

Players come to the pair with two triple ball bags. One bag contains “setup balls”, and the other contains balls that the player is likely to use during the match. The player uses the 10-minute warm-up time to throw as many shots as possible in the area where he wants to create a dry patch on the lane. That means he doesn’t hit the reset button and doesn’t care too much about what the ball is doing or how many pins he knocks over. Sometimes, the player will try to keep the ball in a certain zone by throwing something that hooks extremely early and then stops in the pocket. Sometimes, he’ll allow the ball to cross over the headpin. Each strategy yields different results (the former is usually to set up the line for himself, while the latter is usually to wipe out a zone for another player). Then, with two minutes left in practice, he lines up with the first ball he plans to use in the match.

This strategy is very much a controversial one on Tour. Some folks feel that it is unfair and that the lanes are meant to be played as they are. Others feel that bowling is a competition and that players need to do whatever is in their power to win. Of course, the truth is probably somewhere in between, since, although you can set up the lanes, you still have to outscore your opponent, who may just end up having a better reaction thanks to your shenanigans than you end up having!

#4 – They know how to manage their emotions.

When you watch the pros, they look very different on TV than they do in qualifying, which is very different than the way they look during a best-of-seven match. The rhythm of a bowling tournament is very specific: in qualifying, you’re trying to knock down the most pins (not beat a single opponent), so a clinical, even-keeled attitude almost always works best. This is because this approach allows players to think clearly about how to maximize their score, which is imperative when you’re playing against a cut number which renders everyone basically equal (with the exception at the World Series of the players who earned byes into the Round of 16 as top-4 qualifiers) after qualifying.

When the players move into match-play, they very obviously ratchet up their intensity level. This is because the name of the game in best-of-seven is winning games, and your opponent’s assessment of your performance is very much a part of the equation that goes into determining how he/she will play the lanes and try to beat you. That is why a player like Norm Duke, (who I feel is the best in the world at managing his emotions) will almost never express negative emotions during a match (he doesn’t want his opponent to know how much he might be struggling). But when he throws a key strike, you can bet he will pump his fist to let his opponent know that the pressure is on.

On TV, this intensity is ratcheted up even more, because the players are in such a desperate sprint (a one-game match) that all caution goes to the wind. Even usually low-key players like Michael Fagan can become emotional on television, because that is where winners are made and lost and ultimately, is the reason why the top players play the game.

This point was driven home for me at the World Series when a reporter, who usually doesn’t cover bowling, was about to write a story on how boring bowling is after watching a qualifying round. She asked, “Doesn’t anyone ever show any enthusiasm?” To which I replied, “Come back and watch the match-play this afternoon.” After Rhino Page converted the 4-6-7-10 during game seven of his match against Mika Koivuniemi and she saw Rhino’s fist-pumps and heard the standing-room-only crowd roar and buzz for several minutes, she had changed her mind.

#5 – They treat it as a job.

The pros on Tour take tremendous pride in what they do, and most are indeed perfectionists. If the majority of America’s executives, managers and work force took as much pride in their job and career performance as PBA Tour players do in their bowling, there’s no doubt that our country would not be in the recession from which it is currently beset.

Despite that, the players on Tour also understand how lucky they are to have the opportunity to do something they love for a living. It makes for a very fun and enjoyable environment in which to do your job. Hopefully, as awareness in how great these players are at what they do grows, the opportunities for them to earn what they truly deserve to earn will grow as well. So, the next time you have a chance to get out and watch these players in person, I urge you not to miss out. It’ll not only give you a new perspective on how to improve your own bowling game, but may also even inspire you to achieve in other areas of your life.

Had a chat to a guy you may know today.It is the 20th anniversary of him going back to back to back 300's in a PBA event in San Fran, Dave Bolles, this was with a black angle.

Shaun:)

I had a chat to bloke you have all forgotton who averaged 228 in the 70's with a plastic ball. His name is the Batman. Get a grip and get real

old spinner...
Yes, I know Dave Bolles fairly well. He not only shot three consecutive 300 games, but he did it on three different pairs of lanes against three opponents, springboarding himself to victory in a PBA regional, which was held at Camino Bowl in Mountain View, California.

Geoff300....I am real and yes Chris Batson was one of, if not the top bowlers in Australia during the 1970-80s. A 228 average with a plastic ball is pretty impressive, but did you know that I averaged 237 246 and 234 with a yellow dot during that same time period. Call it a FIGJAM if you like, but I'm trying to make a point here..before you refute the Jason Thomas article I posted above, why not talk to someone who has bowled with and against the touring professionals. The exempt pros are far better than anyone currently competing within Australia.

Wchester,
I think you have to remember that in Australia we do not do this sport full time as they do in the States. Naturally they are better than us. I remember Steve Neff saying that there is a lot of talent in Australia that could do well in America but they would have to pay their dues first. I suggest you have a look at some of the great players we have had over the years, and I tell you what, we had a lot of great Champions.
Cheers Lovey

Wchester,
I think you have to remember that in Australia we do not do this sport full time as they do in the States. Naturally they are better than us. I remember Steve Neff saying that there is a lot of talent in Australia that could do well in America but they would have to pay their dues first. I suggest you have a look at some of the great players we have had over the years, and I tell you what, we had a lot of great Champions.
Cheers Lovey

amen!!!!!!

I thought it was a somewhat interesting article. One mans perspective into the talent and dedication required to be the best. I'd rather this type of publicity then bowlers are big fat hamburger eating slobs. The more we this type of article the more hope we have.

The quote about us avoiding the recession made me chuckle. We had a period of massive expansion and what goes up... No-one can stop the reaction.

Cow

Whilst I accept Wayne this is not what you are saying - well I don't think it is - this reminds of a comment made by Bill Taylor on one of his visits to Australia many years ago - where he stated [perhaps it was at an SPC finals presentation if I recall correctly] something like "these bowlers have no idea what they are doing"..which in my view says more about Taylor and his myopic view of the world of bowling than it does about our best players. On this one I'm with Lovell.

Chris Batson is one of the only people in australia to WIN overseas
He won the World Cup
He would still beat evryone in Australia if he got interested again
The people in the US do it fulltime and bowl 100 games a week
get as many bowling balls they want for free
I would say a number of Aussies woould have done well overseas
we have had some real talent in this country
FIGJAM people don't impress me much

Chris Batson is one of the only people in australia to WIN overseas
He won the World Cup
Correction: Chris did not win the World Cup.

FIGJAM people don't impress me much

My FIGJAM point was this...I averaged higher than Chris using a plastic ball, during more than one league season and to tell you the truth..I wasn't that good.

Whilst I accept Wayne this is not what you are saying - well I don't think it is - this reminds of a comment made by Bill Taylor on one of his visits to Australia many years ago - where he stated [perhaps it was at an SPC finals presentation if I recall correctly] something like "these bowlers have no idea what they are doing"..which in my view says more about Taylor and his myopic view of the world of bowling than it does about our best players. On this one I'm with Lovell.

UNfortunately, I think it is us that has the myopic view of the talent that we have in Australia. UNdoubtably we do have some impressive talent here, witness the efforts of Jason Belmonte of recent times, but the truth is that, especially in the men's game, we have been largely, sadly lacking. A few have performed well internationally, such as Bradford, Frawley and the like, but given that for many, many years, we had the 2nd largest competitive bowling market IN THE WORLD, our international efforts in the mens game were largely sub-par.

OUr women have been more than competitive, but australia'a international efforts have in general not been up to the standard that they should have been. It is only recently that out men have started to pull their own weight internationally.

I'm tempted - but will avoid correcting your grammatical usage Brenton - and will simply make a few points for your consideration.

1. By "2nd largest competitive bowling market in the world" do you mean that because for a time Australia had the second largest membership organisation "on record" [and the "on record" is a critical point given for many years FIQ dues were billed based on the actual "claimed" membership numbers country by country..I'll leave it to your imagination to consider what might have happened to some of these numbers] that naturally made us "the 2nd most competitive"?

I'm not sure it does.

For the record the ATBC had 120,000 rounded out at best - the ABC alone [not including WIBC and YABA] had 5 million plus members - it was for a time the biggest membership sporting body on the planet - any and all sports. I'd say any comparison is meaningless based on these numbers.

2. Do you not count the fact that Japan has had for at least 3 decades a significant Professional Tour?

3. That the European competitive game was and is of significant strength - think Sweden [well one of many]

4. That the Middle East - small as it might be - has a sizable and rich tournament scene producing quality global players.

5. That despite the size of the country Malaysia [just one of many] has a worthwhile and sizable competitive scene that has been strongly underpinned for years by both private and government support.

6. That in Korea the industry is extensively focused on competitive bowling - to the point where they banned outright the introduction of Cosmic Bowling to avoid watering down the sports nature of bowling.

7. Do we not consider the period in time when the "helicopter" dominated internationally ...think Taiwan

I could add more but I'm sure the point is made - I grant you that Australian women have done better by and large than Australian men internationally - but given the size of our population, the amateur nature of our game here - and the very real degree of global competition - I'd suggest we have done pretty well. Could we have done better - most certainly - but everything needs to be viewed with and from a realistic perspective - not just with a broad sweeping view.

Cheers.........Steve

I'm tempted - but will avoid correcting your grammatical usage Brenton - and will simply make a few points for your consideration.

1. By "2nd largest competitive bowling market in the world" do you mean that because for a time Australia had the second largest membership organisation "on record" [and the "on record" is a critical point given for many years FIQ dues were billed based on the actual "claimed" membership numbers country by country..I'll leave it to your imagination to consider what might have happened to some of these numbers] that naturally made us "the 2nd most competitive"?

I'm not sure it does.

For the record the ATBC had 120,000 rounded out at best - the ABC alone [not including WIBC and YABA] had 5 million plus members - it was for a time the biggest membership sporting body on the planet - any and all sports. I'd say any comparison is meaningless based on these numbers.

2. Do you not count the fact that Japan has had for at least 3 decades a significant Professional Tour?

3. That the European competitive game was and is of significant strength - think Sweden [well one of many]

4. That the Middle East - small as it might be - has a sizable and rich tournament scene producing quality global players.

5. That despite the size of the country Malaysia [just one of many] has a worthwhile and sizable competitive scene that has been strongly underpinned for years by both private and government support.

6. That in Korea the industry is extensively focused on competitive bowling - to the point where they banned outright the introduction of Cosmic Bowling to avoid watering down the sports nature of bowling.

7. Do we not consider the period in time when the "helicopter" dominated internationally ...think Taiwan

I could add more but I'm sure the point is made - I grant you that Australian women have done better by and large than Australian men internationally - but given the size of our population, the amateur nature of our game here - and the very real degree of global competition - I'd suggest we have done pretty well. Could we have done better - most certainly - but everything needs to be viewed with and from a realistic perspective - not just with a broad sweeping view.

Cheers.........Steve

Sorry. It was late and after a very long day. Gee, there are plenty worse than I am.

Part of my argument revolves around the myopic view we have of our bowlers based on the performances we see here in Australia. We see inflated averages that make our players look better than they are. As a result, when we go overseas to compete, most times we fall well short of the top prize. It has been ony recently with the introduction of tougher lane conditions (Devil's Advocate???????) that our men have begun to reach the level of international competitiveness that we expect to see.

You refer to the "amateur nature of the game here". That is irrelevant to the view Australians have had of their leading players over many years. The reality is that, in most cases, the men especially have not performed up to the expectations of the bowling public, the ATBC/TBA and themselves.

Very much a case of big fish in a small pond being found out when they get out in the big river. And yes, I include myself in that group. For too long we pandered to those who want easy scoring and padded egoes resulting in us being found wanting overseas.

1. Correct - you do pretty overall - better than most as you say.

2. You're argument takes a different turn and overall I'm not sure we are now on the same page...in the context of the locally self absorbed over inflated ego player - well I don't disagree with you - but I don't know if this is what the discussion was about...although I grant you it has relevance.

3. "Expectations" alone could be debated to the point where I start snoring off in about 2-3 hours - and I'd bet you might not last that long.

4. However - and in the context of where I think the discussion was - the numbers stack up rather well supporting a pretty good performance - all things considered [some of those "all things" are outlined in my 7 points above] ....and finally, you old lefty............I'd suggest that "the amateur nature of the game here" is so relevant to the original discussion that to ignore it's historical impact would be [noted kindly] idiotic [expectations aside - of course...scoring you 1 point on that issue]

Cheers again.....Steve

Wayne, Sorry I meant World Games, which Chris DID win
Chris also won 3 South Pacifics etc , etc
Chris was right up there with the best this country had during the 60's , 70's , 80's & 90's
I had a look at some old records, can't see your name anywhere
Did you ever play Chris in a final of anything, Did you win anything?
Just like the current bunch on this site claiming to average 220 , 230 - BIG DEAL
Any of these people ever win anything .
That is the problem with the game today, people with huge averages on a ditch and wonde why they average 180 overseas on a real condition

Sorry Wayne i was unaware of that, that is a great thing to have won
My point is i Don't really like FIGJAM people
I think it is very unecessary and not really in the Aussie spirit
Just my point of view
I Still think Chris Batson is the best this country has seen
AND I still think if he ever got serious about the playing the game
again he would show just that

Back
Top Bottom