Just how much tape is too much.

L

Levithian

Hi, first post in here, i was just thinking i might ask this question in here. Iam alot like most people, i have swelling problems when humidity is present and as such i had the thumb holes of all my gear drilled larger to accomodate it . Currently Iam having problems keeping a good grip on the ball during league, towards the third game i start to feel i loose the grip on the ball and my games usually suffer. I think i have narrowed it down to one simple problem, when i start bowling iam really gripping with the thumb, as the game progresses i either start to relax or my hand just gets tired. As a result i feel like i cant hold onto the ball.

I might be weird, but i like a nice tight grip around my thumb, i very rarely have problems with my thumb exiting the ball (ie it doesnt hang up), but recently iam using more and more tape in order to keep a tight feel and a good consistant grip on the ball (at present im up to about 5 pieces of the textured stuff and still needing alittle help from mr rosin bag). I have been talking to a person who has done a bit of my drilling and he suggested i should maybe have a look at changing the pitch on my thumb. Now as it stands im playing with alittle reverse pitch (about 1/8th of an inch from memory) and he suggested we try alittle forward in order for it to feel like the ball is sitting tight on my thumb (i dont really have a big thumb, it isnt particulary wide nor is it very long). I really want to get out of the habit of gripping with my thumb (well it feels natural now) but iam alittle weary of the problems it will cause my game at present (just into a new season).

I guess im asking will the change in pitch be a good thing (should i try it with one of my older balls first, then if it works change them all). Is it something that could solve my problem? or should i just get my thumb redrilled a size smaller and get rid of the tape. And i surpose, lastly, just how much tape is too much (how much would indicate a significant problem).

Thanks for your time.

P.S. Yes i have tried using one piece of textured in the front and pieces of the smooth in the back of the hole but the feel just isnt the same.

P.P.S: I dont seem to have the swelling problem at my home centre where most of my bowling is done. The tape seems to be more about feel.

5 pieces of textured tape in the front of your thumb hole is way too much. If you have a short thumb, then 1/8" reverse is most likely too much reverse, unless you have a particularly long span. If you have to put that much in the front of the thumb hole, it also sounds like it is not shaped properly, ie, it is too rounded and you have an oval thumb. What is your span?

You might also have to look at the lateral pitch of the thumb, that may also be a problem.

5 pieces of textured tape in the front of your thumb hole is way too much. If you have a short thumb, then 1/8" reverse is most likely too much reverse, unless you have a particularly long span. If you have to put that much in the front of the thumb hole, it also sounds like it is not shaped properly, ie, it is too rounded and you have an oval thumb. What is your span?

You might also have to look at the lateral pitch of the thumb, that may also be a problem.

Thanks for the reply (ohh and congrats on the new arrival). Iam using a fair bit of tape because i dont really have the swelling problem anymore so i probably should get it redrilled. My span is a tad under 5 1/2 inches (probably 5 3/8, that rings a bell). I dont know about the lateral pitch.

Thanks once again for the help.

Shameless Bump. I know you are probably busy, so i'll just push it towards the top on the off chance you are around to reply (or anyone else for that matter).

Yes, been fairly busy lately, sorry for not getting back sooner.

Given the length of your span, then by most standards, 1/8" reverse pitch is not excessive, it still looks to me like the thumb hole is either/or too large and not properly shaped. If your thumb is oval, then your ball driller should take the drill bit that is a good fit for the front and back of the thumb, and then oval it out to fit the sides in. I had to drill a 15/16" hole and oval it out to 1 1/4" to fit the oval shape of the thumb, it was that flat.

Talk to your driller and see what he will do for you. If you get no joy there, contact me by email and I will put you on to some one who can help in your area.

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply, yeah i will get a new slug put into it and sort out the size. I dont really have the problem with oval thumbs (it's just pretty round) so it isnt really a hassle. Thanks once again :D

Back
Top Bottom