how do you stop ripping skin off your thumb

D

Danish Pastry

i have the problem of taking skin off the knuckle off my thumb how do i stop it from happening and if it does what is the better solution to cover it up with (tape or extra skin patches)

danish,

there is any number of reasons you are tearing the knuckle
check with your local balldriller to see that you have the
right span & thumb pitch, also if the hole is to big causes
you to grip hard & bend your thumb. hope this
helps you enjoy your bowling!

kevin

danish,

there is any number of reasons you are tearing the knuckle
check with your local balldriller to see that you have the
right span & thumb pitch, also if the hole is to big causes
you to grip hard & bend your thumb. hope this
helps you enjoy your bowling!

kevin

AS kevvy said, it could be a physical problem. Check out your drilling and see if that could be the problem.

The other thing could be technique, as already mentioned you could be gripping with the thumb. The other possibility is that you are coming around the ball and your thumb isnt exiting properly. By this i mean you could be over rotating your wrist and the thumb isnt exiting cleanly out of the top of the ball (around the 12 oclock position IIRC). Skin patches and the like is a great quick fix, i wouldnt rely on it in the long run, it is better to get to the root of the problem. Of course, you can just tear the skin from alot of bowling, thats a different matter and sometimes it cant be helped.

Ohh, and btw, forget the gauze when using the patches, just use the glue solution over the torn skin, it hurts alittle while it dries, but i find it doesnt change the feel of the ball when you stick your thumb in like the gauze does.

How do you stop ripping the skin off your thumb

The biggest cause is a thumb that is too big as Kevin mentioned - the other is HOW you grip with your thumb, also the moment of your release in the swing (normally a late exit will made the problem worse)

When putting your thumb in the ball you should press with the base of your thumb and follow this pressure evenly along your thumb in the ball. This will take a moment until you do it automatically.

Pack the back of your thumb with tape and get a coach to show you a release drill to trigger the exit of the thumb from the ball at the correct moment in your swing.

I hope you have better luck - next time your are on the lanes.

Cheers
Gail

I went through many years of this problem. Since having started up bowling again in the past few years for the defence force, I was using superglue on my thumb as a preventative. It's good for a while, but after 30+ games in a few days, it's not really that good. But it's much better than the skin patch I previously used.

Since I have recently bought my new Intense Inferno, I hiked out to Enfield to see Cheryl Munson, after she was highly recommended. I've had the Inferno drilled, and my Rhino and Phantom redrilled, and have not had a problem at all ie. throw away the ol' superglue. She checked my old drilling specs and said that my thumb pitch was way way out. That's been taken care of and it's coming off my hand sweet as.

I guess the moral of the story is just what everyone else has been saying, get the ball drilled properly, but by a reputable driller.

Try resting your thumb for a couple of days, and if it's still ripping, talk to a ball driller. He/she should be able to tell you what's wrong if your thumb is still ripping. :p

I Always Used To Rip My Thumb Cuz I Grip The Ball With My Thumb,So To Stop That I Put Skin Patch On My Thumb Before I Bowl And I Havent Ripped It Since

I used to use super glue when I knew I had a bit of a suspect thumb, and that used to get me through okay. For long stints on the lanes I'd use a fair whack of the stuff.

I found skin patches and clodiene was very slippery stuff, and didn't stick to my skin well enough resulting in ripping the thumb even worse, had a bad experience with it on a fingertip in Burnie once which convinced me that superglue was better.

All the previous posts are saying the same thing, if you are ripping your thumb than there is only two possibilities, the fit or your technique. It would be better to see a reputable ball driller who also coaches, someone like Cheryl Munson.
Remember ripping thumbs is not" normal", you have a problem.
willey.

willey said:
All the previous posts are saying the same thing, if you are ripping your thumb than there is only two possibilities, the fit or your technique. It would be better to see a reputable ball driller who also coaches, someone like Cheryl Munson.
Remember ripping thumbs is not" normal", you have a problem.
willey.
Yep, I agree. Someone like Cheryl would be perfect for you, seeing as Cheryl's an excellent driller, coach and all up an excellent advice giver.

i had one and trust me i know it caines but after i got my thumb hole a bit bigger i dont get them anymore :p :D

I know it's an old topic but I wish I thought of thumb maintenance before the weekend. I was averaging 235 in the final prior to my thumb ripping. I couldn't put my thumb in the ball properly in the last game and bowled a score that definately proved it :(

Btw, apologies to those who heard what I said after I bowled the last ball.

It echoed across the lanes, but I was just so frustrated and for good reason.

I've used plastic skin before but I might try superglue next time!

It's an old but timeless topic. Good spanning and pitching is a must to avoid thumb damage but nobody has mentioned using tape to get your ball to truly fit.

Your thumb and fingers get some degree of callousing from bowling. These callouses are essentially leather which responds to changes in temperature and humidity by expanding or contracting. Therefore at some point your thumb stops fitting correctly.

I can drill you a great fit in Summer and in Winter it'll probably be be quite sloppy. When your thumb changes size (and everybody's thumb does), put some tape in the hole or take some out if need be.

Less squeeze = a better swing, less injuries/discomfort and a cleaner release.

Use white tape for gripping, black tape for slipping. I used to cut my own tape from the hardware, but pre-cut tape is faster and better and isn't overly expensive when you consider the benefits it brings. I used to say the same thing before I had a Vise sponsorship btw.

In my humble opinion, anyone who doesn't use tape is missing out on improving their grip. Why else would someone like Norm Duke be so particular about using tape to adjust their grip so finely?

I've had a few guys come to me with problem thumbs. Usually it comes down to a few things, which most have been talked about in this thread.

1) too big of a thumb

2) round thumb instead of ovalled

3) squeezing because of not using tape

4) squeezing becuase of too much reverse in the thumb - THIS IS A BIG ONE I'M SEEING!

5) thumb hole not finished clean and smooth.

6) too much left or right lateral pitch.

In addition to that, there are a few "after market" products that one can use. The one I have preference to is "Ron Cliftons magic carpet" I started using the product the start of this year, and haven't ever been able to relax my thumb in the ball as much as I have with the carpet. It automatically ovals the thumb a little for guys with symptoms 1 and 2, and combined with tape, gives the most unique and comfortable feel i've ever experienced in a thumb hole.

The next sports event, ill have a couple of sample pieces for those to try out if they are interested, and if anyone here wants to try a sample, send me your details and cover postage and ill send them to you.

Cheers, and hope this helps.

In addition to that, there are a few "after market" products that one can use. The one I have preference to is "Ron Cliftons magic carpet" I started using the product the start of this year, and haven't ever been able to relax my thumb in the ball as much as I have with the carpet. It automatically ovals the thumb a little for guys with symptoms 1 and 2, and combined with tape, gives the most unique and comfortable feel i've ever experienced in a thumb hole.
The next sports event, ill have a couple of sample pieces for those to try out if they are interested, and if anyone here wants to try a sample, send me your details and cover postage and ill send them to you.
Cheers, and hope this helps.

Tonx, I'd forgotten all about those! I got some of these in my previous bowling life 9 years ago. Ron sent me a free sample! I just went and found I still have the remaining ones and the letter he sent me, unfortunaley the glue has dried up.

Anyway, back then I put them in a couple of peoples balls who had terrible thumbs -due to the way they bowled, but they were never going to change- and it really helped them a lot.

Click here for the Magic Carpet website.

Even though I don't use them myself as I prefer the tight/solid fit, I'm surprised more people aren't using them.

i have the problem of taking skin off the knuckle off my thumb how do i stop it from happening and if it does what is the better solution to cover it up with (tape or extra skin patches)

main reason the ball is not drilled for you. get it looked at before more damage is done

Bowl 2 handed no thumb needed problem solved ask jason belmonte how many times he has ripped his thumb apart.

Or become like one of the old school Pros mark roth who invented thumb ripping be a man.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom