Thumb Troubles

S

Sinisterx8

I was just wondering
Im having some trouble with my thumb, it is forever changing shape and size to the point where if i bowl a few games in the morning and then have to come back in the after noon and bowl my thumb never fits in the hole properly. It doesnt get bigger it gets smaller and its the same with my fingers. I know the easiest soloution would be just to pack the thumb hole with insert tape but the problem i have with that when i do it is it gives the ball a different feel on my hand and slightly changes the realease. Makes it pretty hard to throw the same shot every time..

ill give you a scenerio
Bowled qualifying at werribee cup ball was ok
then came back later to bowl and thumb was swimming had to put 2 pieces of tape in... The next morning i had to take 3 pieces out...
So does ice help this or is there any way of just getting your thumb to stay 1 size or is my problem caused because i live a firm fit to start with?????

Cheers

Sinisterx8, I have the opposite problem, thumb starts big and shrinks, then is large again next day. I have tried everyting to prevent this from happening, but I have found the best fix is to have the thumb hole slightly larger than required (but still properly shaped) and have at least 1 piece of tape in it at all times, therefore creating a consistent feel at all times whether adding or removing tape. I always have at least one piece of black tape in the back and always only one piece of white tape in the front of the thumb hole.

I am a firm believer in only ever having one piece of white tape in the front of the thumb hole because to have any more effectively lengthens the span and this also leads to inconsistent feel. Adjust the feel with extra black tape in the back of the thumb hole, not extra white in the front.

Hope this helps.

Sinisterx8, I have the opposite problem, thumb starts big and shrinks, then is large again next day. I have tried everyting to prevent this from happening, but I have found the best fix is to have the thumb hole slightly larger than required (but still properly shaped) and have at least 1 piece of tape in it at all times, therefore creating a consistent feel at all times whether adding or removing tape. I always have at least one piece of black tape in the back and always only one piece of white tape in the front of the thumb hole.

I am a firm believer in only ever having one piece of white tape in the front of the thumb hole because to have any more effectively lengthens the span and this also leads to inconsistent feel. Adjust the feel with extra black tape in the back of the thumb hole, not extra white in the front.

Hope this helps.

Sinisterx8

Brentons advice is excellent - from your post you seem to use tape and the feel of the shot is compromised by the tape. You could probably check with a ball driller the pitches of thumb and fingers (yes finger pitches will cause thumb exit problems also) - this could have effect on your release causing your thumb to 'drag' - also reflect on the type of release you are using when you are having the most problems. You may find the problem is at its worst on some oiling pattern or lanes where you need to flatten your shot or use a 'B' game release. Your hand may be clammy because of your 'normal' body temperature or the bowling centre's ambient temperature (when you are having the most problems) may be warmer than you are used to. All these things may cause a change in release feeling.

Once you identify the triggers of the problem then you apply coping strategies - Those of us who have a lot of years in this sport can tell you that to keep your thumb down if it has a tendency to swell you should roll a peice of paper around your thumb in between shots (yes any piece of paper) The paper in turn 'draws' your thumb. A cotton hankey is also effective - you can place the hanky over your thumb and this in turn will have the same effect of a peice of paper.

Another way of keeping your thumb down in to have a thumb slug drilled and use it to encase your thumb in between shots - I have not used this technique :roll: but have seen bowlers use it before - you would have to ask someone else which type of thumb slug is most effective because I do not know. :?:

Queensland State teams Sport Therapist Peter McMurtrie uses a technique of pressure points at the base of the thumb, which have proved effective.

You could also hold a nice cold can of drink :D between shots, making sure your hand is dry at the air vent on the lanes prior to shooting your shot. Get into the habit of keeping your hand open while waiting for your shot this will assist your hand stay cool.

Holding you hand above your heart line will also assist your thumb to reduce in size (but could look a little funny) and would not work as quickly as some of the other solutions. :shock:

Once you have decided what causes your thumb problem - one of the above strategies may help. A lot of the oldies out there probably could have given you this advice - so maybe something there will help.

Best of bowling
Gail Torrens

Gail and brenton

Thank you for all of your ideas, i will give any thing a shot... just one more question however.... you could describe my thumb as wide but flat would it help if i had my thumb hole plugged and re drilled and have more of and oblonged shaped thumb hole???? im guessing having the thumb hole totaly round isnt helping me much...
Ive noticed the problem more since i had a new ball drilled. But its drilled the same way as my last ball... I just dont want to get used to bowling with bad habits.. Also you are right my thumb sticks more when my body temp is hotter... So i toss a puff ball from hand to hand in between shots

Thank you

YES, most certainly you should have your thumb hole shaped to your thumb, as having a round hole for a wide, flat thumb is going to cause a multitude of problems. I believe it is incumbent upon the ball driller to do this rather than make the player have to use great wads of tape to create the proper feel. It takes a bit more time to properly shape a wide flat thumb, but the benefits for the player are worth the time and effort.

You also wrote in your last post that as a result of your thumb sticking when you get hotter, you toss a Puff ball from hand to hand, this is counter productive if you wish to prevent sticking in the thumb hole because the puff ball contains rosin which will make your thumb stick even more. The best thing to do in this scenario is to not only cool your hand over the hand dryer, but also to hold the thumb hole ovber the blower as well to dry the hole out and make it also a bit cooler which will help your thumb not to swell as much.

Let me know how you get on.

Back
Top Bottom