Thumb squeeze question.

dazgore

Hi All,

When bowling should your thumb fit tight in the ball so you just relax your hand, or should you squeeze slightly with the base of your thumb (near the palm)?
I have read lots on the net, and are undecided as to what should be done.

I recently bought a new ball, and when drilling chose a thumb size that was snug, by the time it was drilled, ovaled and beveled, it was a lot looser than i expected. My driller mentioned the squeezing of the thumb, and i assumed that the looseness is how it should be.

I have been bowling with moderate success, but find i have moments where the thumb is way too loose.

I used to have a really snug fit to my ball, but as i have only just recently come back to bowling (after 12 years or so), thought that with the new equipment etc.. that this is how it should be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darryl Gore

Darryl,
You can tighten up the thumb with tape. You can either buy grip tape sold at the centre, especially if your thumb does not tend to change size too much, or get a roll of masking tape and cut your own (much cheaper, especially if you use a lot of tape). If you need to put a lot of tape in, pack the back of the hole, with only a couple of bits at the front, otherwise you may end up affecting the span. If the thumbhole is way too big, get it plugged and redrilled or have a thumb slug installed.

As for how tight, it should be as tight as possible without hanging up in the ball. A relaxed hand is a must for a free swing.

No you shouldnt have to grip with your thumb, it is a nasty problem really.

Just a note on the tape, it is good advice, however robbie didnt mention the two main types you will probably find at the bowl.

The white textured stuff - Only for use on the front of the thumb where the skin is tougher.

The Black smooth stuff - Use it anywhere but this is the stuff to use when packing the back of the thumb where the skin is softer.

You can get this urethane stuff too, it's rather thick but is super smooth (very slick, like powder in the ball), i find it is great stuff if you have a lot of forward pitch on the thumb. It is so slick is really gets your thumb out quick, easy way to stop it hanging up with a drilling like that.

Back
Top Bottom