Thumb getting stuck

S

StormChasa

Hi guys, im new hear so please bear with me. I recently bought a paradigm and once it was drilled i had a couple of goes on it and hole distance on it felt a bit to wide between the thumb and the fingers. As my first 2 releases my thumb got stuck and lifted the ball and dropped it further than usual down the lane...i told the driller and he sanded it more and smoothed it out and it was fine...the same nite i went to blacktown to try it again and yeah same problem my thumb kept getting stuck and i couldnt release it cleanly at all...i was chicken winging it all of a sudden to get rid of the ball...can this still be fixed properly? i think it needs to be at least another 1-2mm closer so that i can let my thumb go at the top of the ball and then let my 2 fingers do the rest....is that right?

It could be 1 of 4 things.

Thumb hole is simply too small. If you can get your thumb in cleanly to start with, this isnt your problem.

Span is too big. Easy test for this one is feel the bridge of skin between thumb and first finger while in the ball, if its stretched, its more than likely overspanned.

Thumb pitch is not correct for your hand. You may have too much forward pitch for your release, which is keeping your thumb in longer than needed. Only way to get the correct pitches for you, is lots of trial and error.

Squeezing the thumb. Common problem which can only be fixed with practise and self control. Relax your hand during your delivery. Don't squeeze to hold onto the ball. If your span is too short, or your pitches not correct, this could also result in you gripping to hold the ball.

Good Luck!

I guess one question that should be asked is do you have a thumb slug in the ball? Thumb slugs can certainly help with quicker releases.

thanks for the tips.

one thing i forgot to mention i hope u can answer too is that after experiencing this my friend told me to put my 3 fingers in the holes as imagining im gonna bowl....he made me hol the ball up as if im about to bowl and he told me to release my thumb...i couldnt release my thumb at all...i coudlt release any of my fingers at all...

the hole for the thumb is fine...im guessing the span is a tad too long...if so can my ball be fixed still?:confused: :confused:

thumb slugs? hrmm i was thinking of that...if my thumb gets a bit sweaty...will it stick to the thumb slug?

With a thumb slug, sweat will usually make the release even quicker. Thumb slugs help to make every thumbhole feel the same, but also allow a quicker release (which may help your current problem). However, it does seem in your case that incorrect thumb pitching could be to blame, with possible overspanning.

It can be fixed, but most likely the ony way it can be fixed now is to have the thumbhole plugged, and redrilled. It's not ideal, but you probably won't have a lot of choices. It won't affect the performance of the ball, as the hole movement will be very small in the direction of the fingers to correct the overspanning, so most of the plugging will be removed when it is redrilled anyway. You should hardly notice it.

hope this helps,
Tim Reichel.

If its only a small adjustment, there is no need to fully plug the thumb. Drilling a 1 1-4 hole correctly pitched over the existing hole, and putting a thumb slug in is your best bet. get the driller to look at your current fit, and see if its overspanned. Add more reverse.

Cheers!

Or it could be too much forward pitch in the fingers, causing squeezing ;)

Either way, it is fixable, and fairly easily. Good luck with it. Certainly get it checked out!

Thanks heaps guys...im going to get it checked out tonite . keep u guys updated tomorrow as to how it goes...

StormChasa said:
As my first 2 releases my thumb got stuck and lifted the ball and dropped it further than usual down the lane... same problem my thumb kept getting stuck and i couldnt release it cleanly at all

G'day,

I've recently re-drilled an old ball and this same thing happened to me. My first 6 or 7 releases were pathetic to say the least. With a bit of baby powder and some minor ball sanding adjustment on the thumb hole, I was at least able to roll the ball down the lane - with some mixed emotion, and a slight applause from a social bowler. The problem was simply solved by releasing the ball correctly, instead of previously hanging on to the ball for too long. One of the next few series of games bowled was the best I've bowled to date.

Tonx is spot on about squeezing of the thumb, and self control. You need to relax on delivery.

Michael :)

I found recently while learning to drill that when you have a ball drilled slighty long, it causes you to drop the ball. Ask anyone at Bankstown Youth about me and Depth Charge. Assuming the pitches are correct, the overspan would make for a quicker release. With too much forward pitch, then you'd heading for trouble. Just what I've found when bowling with over-spanned stuff.

Later Da Cowman!

thanks guys. i got peter at blacktown to fix up the thumb hole and its all sweet now. thanks for all your help

are you going to tell us what was actually wrong with it?:p im sure the guys that offered advice are curious as to what actually was the cause of the problem

yep well the thumb hole was a tad too tight as when i try to release my thumb it gets stuck....so peter just opened it up a tad more where my thumb nail exits and it was all sweet....i hope this explains it...thanks again guys

also was able to score a 216 last nite...havent scored a 200 in ages.....:D

Sounds like it was a fairly simple thing to fix then. Glad it's all worked out for you. Congrats on the 216 as well!

Cheers,
Tim.

hey x i never get a chance to play much and use my new ball nowadays. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom