Bowling Balls that Go the Distance

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
In the "Bridge Cracked" thread, the question came up about making a list of bowling balls that crack. I think that while some companies had a bad run with this problem a few years back, I haven't seen one bust up lately without a good wallop from a ball return or being stored in a shed that gets stinking hot in summer and freezing cold in winter.

So instead, I'll start a thread about balls that are still going strong some years on. (Obviously, the nature of the thread means that we'll be talking about old gear!)

Some balls that have impressed me with their longevity lately would include the Columbia Noize and Momentum Swing. My Noize has the pin within 1/16" of my middle finger and has never looked like cracking. Still reacts like new too. The Momentum Swing impressed me so much I have two of them and put two more away when they were discontinued. The originals are still going strong years later.

I have a Motiv GT-1 that still rolls like new 18 months on and a TZ-3 that is like new after it's first full resurface. I've got some Brunswick gems (Ultra Zone and Red Zone) that just keep on keeping on. My remaining Storm Dimension is still a monster. My Track Up-Rising is still a keeper. You know what, I can't think of a ball I've had that "died" on me without machine damage taking it out of round.

In fact, I suspect there is no brand that out-performs the others in longevity by more than a slender margin.

So what's the secret? MAINTAIN YOUR EQUIPMENT! I use minor resurfacing regularly. I use a Haus machine to keep the gear in round and not surprisingly, round balls roll better. Even more importantly, I clean my gear after every use with a USBC approved cleaner. It's amazing what a difference it makes to your hook and hit.

Reactive resin works on thermal reaction. The ball surface heats astoundingly fast when frictional forces are applied and gives you that free hook down the lane. It therefore makes sense to store your equipment in a place where the temperature doesn't vary rapidly. In Canberra, it's not unusual to have a 20° swing in a Summer's day. So I think carefully about where my gear rests, sometimes for months in the case of the heavy oil balls, before use. When some guy tells me about his ball that cracked, the first thing I ask is "Where did you keep it?" The answer is almost always "In the boot." And I say "Well, there's your answer." I keep my gear in the back of my garage, which is below ground level. This makes the temperature more stable in that microclimate. (Especially in Canberra.) If you keep your gear in the garage, then get it up against an internal wall. It will make a difference.

So in summary, clean your gear. Resurface it when it loses it's punch, not when it looks like wood. That way, less material is removed, keeping your ball rounder. And store it in a more thermally stable place. And you too can have bowling balls that have served you well for years as well as the latest wonder toys.

Cheers,
Jason

Jason is right about storing balls sensibly, also keeping them clean.
I don't use special ball cleaner, but after every use, I wash them with a dishwashing detergent, rinse that off properly, and dry them with a towel. The difference in 'feel' of the coverstock, before and after cleaning is astounding.
I have 3 different Brunswick 'Zone' balls fron the mid nineties, and a bit newer Columbia 300 Boss II titanium, all of which seem about how they have always been.

I am quite fanatical about cleaning my gear, I do it after every block of games. I also have had 1 ball crack on me in my last 3yrs and by co-incidence it was the only ball I didn't drill in accordance with the manufactuers specifications (I drilled the fingers either side of the pin and placed the pin directly in my bridge).

I think people should read the warranty information that is located in or on the box. The manufactuers guarantee their product and are only too happy to replace it you follow the guidelines. If you dont and something goes wrong, there can be no recourse. Just like an insurance policy, you can't expect to be covered if you do the wrong thing and if you do something not outlined on the policy.

Something people should discuss with their ball drillers prior to drilling.

I agree totally with Jason about Ball Maintanence as it should be on your High Priority List. I use a Recommended Ball Cleaner and a Oil Free Towel to clean and I either clean after each league or before league as you Cannot do it During league.
I have a Momentum which has had a Resurface and it still rolls and hits well just like my 2 strike in the box balls. My old Apogee which a friend now bowls with is still working as well as it did when it was new. I now own a Storm Virtual Gravity Nano and a Columbia300 Pure Physics and will be keeping the maintanence up on both these balls to help with longevity.

Cheers Lyndon

Me and dad bought a couple of Columbia EPX T1's a few years back. 4/5 years to be exact. We got them at the same time, bowl roughly the same about of games. The coverstock on mine went dark very quickly, dads stayed light. Dads started getting hairline cracks all over it, Mine didnt. Dad got his replaced and mine stayed in great condition, i even bowled my 1st 300 with it!

Point being, maybe some balls just dont come out of the factory the same as the rest? I heard mostly negative feedback from the Columbia EPX T1, but i liked it.

Ill also add we didnt use proper cleaners at the time. We used metho, which as i understand it, does more bad than good to a bowling ball (excluding plastic balls)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for putting this thread together Jason. I had one ball crack, my Columbia Complete Bedlam after making a change and using dad’s old press to redrill. So on that one, I got what I deserved.

One of the reason for building a ball spinner for me was maintenance of equipment. It’s critical these days, the amount of oil you pull from a ball after a few games is just amazing. Like Jim, warm soapy water after each league night is the norm for me. My shot is still inconstant the least I can do is make the equipment consistent.

Jason I have heard your ball cleaner is pretty good, is there an on line point of sale we can buy some from? I currently have some Storm cleaner, reading the label it is Denture Alcohol! I guess it beats placing your balls in glass of water beside you bed after a league night!

Like Jason, I love my Momentum Swing, I still also like to throw my Scout. Hard bugger but I can get it to hook and it never gets a mark on it.

This week I am making a change from 14lb to 15lb kit and went for three Brunswick Avalanches, mid range and well priced. Drilled the first to see how it rolls a month ago and now will drill the remaining two with a different layout.

I also have two really old rubber bowling balls in the garage that were under dad’s house for near 30 years. One is like new. I am thinking it would make a good spare ball for old times sake.

I guess it beats placing your balls in glass of water beside you bed after a league night!
QUOTE John Velo.

My old body suffers enough after league, without subjecting it to extremes like that, John.

My hy - road s still going strong two years later. It's probably had over 300+ games. I must admit I'm quite slack at cleaning and maintaining my gear yet it's still going strong though it picks up the mid lane a bt early than it use to. Think it's slowly morphed into a 1000 grit unpolished ball from it's original 4000 polished surface.

My momentum and hy-road are also still going strong after 2+ years of deep cleaning/revivals once every couple of months.

My Red Reactive Hammer (purchased new in 1995 with 500+ games) still goes pretty strong, but I don't use it much anymore as I have Storm gear now and it is brilliant.

i am using alot of 10-15 year old gear currently...

Never had a ball crack in the time i have been bowling, but i have seen a few from friends

Cuda/C, super Power Pearl, Boss, Pacific Storm are just some of the balls i have over 10 years old.

G'Day,

Well a few weeks ago I cracked my Track Spare ball. Easy little crack at the back of the thumb hole. It happens.

I am not disappointed as I have just moved up to 15lb balls and the Track was a 14lb ball.

I have a real passion for old s#!t, so out to the shed and I found an old long lost friend to use as my spare ball. I don't know about going the distance, but this old Manhattan Rubber entered the family back in about 1974 as a second hand 15lb ball on its third drill.

It was used by dad, then I used it as a 14 year old. This week I brought back to life with a thumb sleeve and new grips. Gave it a resurface and she looks as good as it did when it went into the shed 28 years ago. All be it with a few dodgy looking plugings. But she is round at least. Spun up with 4000 grit and she look good.

Should go pretty straight.

G'Day Androoo,

You know it brought back memories. Just like the smell of Vegemite Sandwiches take you back to Kinder.

But it’s the bloody mess of all that black stuff while wet sanding. Glad it was in the garage. There is a black spray line at chest height on every wall o the garage. The only break in the line is where I got in the way.

Sure glad the wife has a black car!

Hey Darryl,

The garage reminded me of the episode of Mr Bean, the one were he exploded the paint tin to paint his unit.

All that was left was the cut of some one standing by the door!

I have an old Track Machine which must have over 400 games on it and it still goes brilliantly...have had quite a few 700 plus series with it right up to the present..cant wait to punch up a couple of the new ones...might try the 716 All Terrain..it looks pretty good.

Cheers
Paul T

Can't stress enough about cleanliness and proper storage. Alot of bowlers in the NT get cracked balls due the oil soaked balls/humidity and not stored properly.

As far as longevity, my Monster SlayR is still a weapon. Has only been drilled for 2 years but the ball is an original.

Back
Top Bottom