Buying Direct from the USA

Jason
As a PSO I agree with all you've said, but it doesn't solve the problem. If pro shops continue to do "business as usual", most of them will fail eventually. The business has changed and we need to find a way to change with it. I've seen nothing in this post that would suggest how to go about it---only complaints from both PSO's and customers. PSO's charge more for their service in order to make up for declining business, and customers retaliate by buying more balls from the internet to save money.

I don't have the solution yet, but I do know this---nothing ever stays the same, and if you don't change with the times, you'll get run over.

Good post, I agree.

G'Day Bluey and anybody else that cares to read,

Being tight is not it.

People are more than happy to pay for the pro-shop service, I don't think that anybody is disputing that.

Anywhere from $70 to $100 or higher depending on what service is offered is Ok with me. I don't think the pro-shop owners should discount their service as that mis-leads the consumer more than the price of the balls. One person claiming $20 to toss three holes in a ball to a top notch service of $130 to drill/mill and fit. Kind of looks bad on paper when you don’t read the fine print of what you are getting for your money.

Will people continue to spend their money how they choose, YES, as long as they are comfortable with spending it their way. After all let’s not forget they went to work and offered a service to their employer to earn that money. So, they will spend it how they like and where.

Me personally, I also go online first for everything because it suit me personally, I am ok with that choice, the same way as I am Ok with people that don’t. In the last month I have saved at a quick calculation more than I earned for the month by choosing to buy online over direct face to face retail. Yes I chose to use Australian sites and companies. So now, I used that money saved to take my family on a holiday.

But, if a person or group of people can group buy and land the undrilled product for less than the pro-shop can land a ball from a local distributor, then there is bigger problem with the supply chain than the current online sales everybody is complaining about?

Something I have noticed is that I have asked this question three times in this thread and each time it has not been responded to. So I will take it as a yes answer, there is a problem.

John, I believe the crux of the problem is that the end purchaser can purchase the final product at below or at the same cost as the retailer. The governments exemption of the GST for on line purchases below $1000 only intensifies the situation for the retailer.

Apply that scenario to any product and it's easy to see why the current pro shop operators are all struggling and ready to jump down your throat if you dare purchase the ball from the net.

I have owned and still own 2 retail outlets successfully trading in impulse and convenience products, so I offered up a few suggestions to help combat this uneven playing field based on my experience, observations and perceptions of both the pro shop operator business and my businesses but, was quickly shot down.

I still stand by my original arguments and along the same lines as other numerous posters have said, the successful pro shop operator will have to change his business plan to survive. Those that don't will eventually perish.

John, I believe the crux of the problem is that the end purchaser can purchase the final product at below or at the same cost as the retailer. The governments exemption of the GST for on line purchases below $1000 only intensifies the situation for the retailer.

Apply that scenario to any product and it's easy to see why the current pro shop operators are all struggling and ready to jump down your throat if you dare purchase the ball from the net.

I have owned and still own 2 retail outlets successfully trading in impulse and convenience products, so I offered up a few suggestions to help combat this uneven playing field based on my experience, observations and perceptions of both the pro shop operator business and my businesses but, was quickly shot down.

I still stand by my original arguments and along the same lines as other numerous posters have said, the successful pro shop operator will have to change his business plan to survive. Those that don't will eventually perish.

Hi Frank,

so the question remains, why don't the PSO buy the $1000 worth of shelf stock. Do the same every two weeks and they are off and running at online sales prices. If that is the LAW of importing then jump all over it until the loop hole is closed. It is a threshold put there by he Government for a reason.

My guess is PSO can't because the local suppliers will talk to the U.S suppliers and have the practice stop.

Is there anybody out there willing to dispute that?

So again I ask, what is the real issue with the PSO not making money beyond the fact that bowling is a luxury not a necessity in life.

Just my personal opinion, not meant to offend.

Hi Frank,

so the question remains, why don't the PSO buy the $1000 worth of shelf stock. Do the same every two weeks and they are off and running at online sales prices. If that is the LAW of importing then jump all over it until the loop hole is closed. It is a threshold put there by he Government for a reason.

My guess is PSO can't because the local suppliers will talk to the U.S suppliers and have the practice stop.

Is there anybody out there willing to dispute that?

So again I ask, what is the real issue with the PSO not making money beyond the fact that bowling is a luxury not a necessity in life.

Just my personal opinion, not meant to offend.

If they are running a reputable business, they must return a BAS. This is where they will have to pay the 10% GST that a non business purchaser avoids.

The GST that is payable is the difference between what it cost the retailer and what he sold it for.

If the retailer cannot show the purchased cost, they will have to pay GST on the full sale price, rather than just the margin.

The only way they can avoid this Tax, is to operate illegally by not showing the full sale price, or showing no sale price at all.

If they are running a reputable business, they must return a BAS. This is where they will have to pay the 10% GST that a non business purchaser avoids.

The GST that is payable is the difference between what it cost the retailer and what he sold it for.

If the retailer cannot show the purchased cost, they will have to pay GST on the full sale price, rather than just the margin.

The only way they can avoid this Tax, is to operate illegally by not showing the full sale price, or showing no sale price at all.

G'day,

If it is legal and above board on the books, why not????

hi ppl,
been watching this thread
Been around bowling for a very short time, about 6 years... After going through some bad experiences with ball drillers and pro shops, I now have found ball driller, I live in sydney
I was put on to this person, by another bowler. Who been around the traps probably longer than he would like to remember and has the experience and know how... So I rang up this ball Driller who was bowling the same tournment as i was a week or so later, told this person what my problems and what i wanted done. This person was great, Took the time after the tournment, to listen what i wanted, gave me some great advice, was there for about 90 mins just going through all the options, and which he thought was best...... He took 3 balls from me that day fixed them up and i went to the act and picked them up, wasn't just pick up and pay , it was another 45 mins just making sure the balls fitted right plus, and sort some other issues i had with my game and was more than happy to answer questions i had......not to mention the emails, text msgs and phone calls inbetween...... Yes i drove all the way to the act.........His probably frogetton more than i know about the game, He fixed up the rest of my gear plus a mate brought a couple of balls , and some other stuff..... He was over the moon with the service and his balls were drilled all the same fit ......Great service and product finish.... I go to bowl and all the balls are the same.... I didn't have to go back and get shooty workman ship fixed up..........I know where i will be going wen i need new gear, or advice straight back there, ok maybe different location but same person.. I havent had the need since to get new or fix gear since they done it but wen i have the need i shall be going straight back there paying more , but u get what you pay for
I am about to get my lic to be a sparky, over my apprenticeship, I have worked with tradesman that have far different, Rates they charge , for example one, chargers 120 an hour , nice workman ship, never gets call back ,and can does extra on top of the Quote, with 20 years experience.... OR you can go the sparky that charges far less at 55 an hour, doesn't give about the workman ship and gets call backs all the top and than charges the ppl for the call back and provides no advice or better options for you..

Value for money is the key... Yeah i am tight with money, more than most,I do try to get a better price and ball driller will do their best price for me and leave himself with some cream on top , but i would rather good service and experience with the knowledge and know how. You can't beat experience and knowledge.

Technology has changed alot of things, Ppl need to adjust, and that the retail sector has been hit hard no doubt about it , their need to come up with solutions and quality products, they had it so good for so long, but the net as made it open ball park....... but it's like going from horse and cart to cars or petrol to what eva happens to next in line when fuel is to expensive or not around.... Like wen computers and printers came into effect..... paperless world wasn't it suppose to be
Nothing stays the same, different sectors are effected and the way ppl make money will be different, many sectors have been affected by technology over ppl's lively hoods and many more to come that we don't even see...Ppl jobs gone by technology I am waiting for the wireless electrical world!!
Surely there much better subjects to talk about, Reading this forum,is like a first year apprentice telling the tradesman what to do, different levels of experience and knowledge,

A ball driller in the ACT that bowls tournaments and gives top advice with top shelf workmanship, wouldn't have the initials JD would they?

I don't think there is an answer to this conundrum and trying to rearrange the ovals on this particular venn diagram will never suit everyone.

I think the top bowlers will continue to do as they have done - source equipment/drilling/advice etc from their current "guy" and the low end bowlers will continue to buy the pretty colours as it's all they need. In between these two is the flexible market who consider their wallets as much as their bowling.

A proshop charge consists of may variables, the sale of the ball being one, drilling another, advice on a particular layout/top weight/pin placement being yet another etc etc.

Do ball top-end sales really have to feature in a pro shop operation? Sure you'll have the plastic balls for sale but maybe an arrangement where the shop specifically orders in (for a non-refundable deposit of, say 10%) would reduce costs. Or maybe offering layaway on current stock and so spread the cost over several weeks.

Maybe it would be simpler for the proshops if they were to all be ok with drilling personal imports with the proviso that the ball may not necessarily give the desired reaction as the top weight/pin location may not lend themselves to this and as such the customer may have to accept the fact that maybe they bought the wrong ball.

Maybe TBA should instigate some kind of marketing campaign that extolls the virtues of proshops over internet purchases. Something along the lines of "buy a V6 import that fires on only 5 cylinders or an onshore V6 where all fire" for example. At least it my help to educate people as to the choices availabe to them.

A lot of maybe's. Thing is though that given the ultra-small percentage of the population that would be interested, is it all worth it or should the current status quo be accepted?

I think its important to support the local market, its worth paying a bit more for it, and not going online to the USA or overseas to seek better deals. There is a reason the price is like that.

Back
Top Bottom