Ordering equipment from the States

Got to back Sandor up on this one, Sandor like few Independent
pro shops offers reasonable deals, a wide range and great advice, receiving balls from WA has been my way of beating the high prices charged by the multi nationals. Look around australia first
before the uncertainty of buying overseas.

As someone who quite frequently looks for/ buys and sells old stuff i look at it another way. For me buying from the US would be a last resort because even though it takes me a bit of time in most cases i can find what i'm looking for secondhand here, looking at E-bay every week i find stuff i'd snap up if i had the $ but its cheaper for me to be patient and wait for something to pop up here, about the only trouble i have is working out what 'oldies' to send out the door to fit some others in. Plus knowing a bit about the technical side of things allows me to pretty much tell whoevers behind the drill where to put the holes . In a way actually doing a bit of legwork to track stuff down is far more enjoyable than just clicking a mouse too.

and do all these people that don't agree with bowlers buying from the net check the labels at the supermarket before they purchase an item to make sure it is australian owned or made :?: :?: :?:

I wonder

the price of convenience v the price of keeping you in busin

This question is for Brenton, Sandor, Brando, Patrick B.. etc..

Now that the Australian dollar is getting stronger and stronger, have any of you lowered your prices to reflect the changing costs associated with purchasing your goods from the distributors?
Or have the middle men not lowered their prices to you?

Case in point..18 months ago...I could buy a pair of Dexter SST V's overseas via the internet for about $100 US Dollars plus $25 US for shipping. With the weak Aussie dollar at the time, this equated to around $250 AUD
Currently I can still buy that same pair of Dexters for around US$100.00. Add in another $25.00 for shipping and do the dollar conversion math and what do you get?
A TOTAL COST OF AROUND $185 AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS.

How much are these shoes selling for in your shops? Brando has them listed at $345..So you're saying I should support the local pro shop and pay rthe extra $160 ?????

I don't think it's gonna happen!
Either lower your prices to reflect the current state of the dollar or tell your distributor to shove his overpriced stock where the sun don't shine. Neither one of you are "entitled" to screw the public just because you bought at the wrong time. The ecomomic flutuation in the dollar is just part of doing business. Competition is a good thing...it keeps everyone honest...

What you seem to be forgetting is that prices will not change on existing stock upyours. It's simple, if you buy from your supplier when the dollar is down and prices are up, then prices are calculated accordingly. If the dollar goes up, but the stock you have was purchased at a lower rate, then prices wont change. It's abit unrealistic to expect prices to change as the exchange rate does, it's not uncommon to feel the effects of a currency hike 6-12 months later.

From some of the prices i've had a gander at in Melbourne and since i've been home i think there has been a drop, back in 98 i remember seeing $450-500 on stuff like Timberwolfs, Tour Bosses and Tritons, the first proactive balls nudged over $500, now a lot of stuff has gone back to the low $400's and the equivilent of the late 90's strong stuff is about $350, plus back in the 40 odd cent to the dollar days some shops had to pull their margins in otherwise i'm sure i would have seen some $600 shelf prices, this assuming the 'normal' recommended margin was being stuck with, i wont say what it is(was?) or i might get shot :twisted: Now we just have to hope those days don't return for a while, so buy up while the buyings good.

I normally try not to reply to people that hide behind an alias, I have always put my name to everything if I have an opinion, but because you named me personally, I will make a comment to Up Yours.

On behalf of Bowlers World, all proshops in this country buy their products from distributors; we are helpless when it comes to prices. We know and understand that the cost of product to us in many cases is expensive, in comparison to other countries, but we also realise we are the furthest away from the US.

You mentioned Dexter, well Bowlers World were the Dexter distributors for this country for many years, we started bringing in Dexter’s in 1989, we had to give it away a few years ago because of unreasonable demands on us to buy 250 pair of shoes per order, cost around $40,000.00, we didn’t feel this was viable because of the size of this market.

In the end we were forced to purchase from distributors in the US because of the small size of our orders, this did cost us an extra few dollars but at least we could order small quantities when we needed to fill up certain sizes, and still supply the market here. At that time we worried very little about the Internet, and online proshops. No one else was supplying Dexter’s in Australia

The current distributors buy from Dexter direct and are under the same rules, minimum 250 pairs per order, our prices from the supplier are expensive, and we understand it, but with import duty and GST on top of the list price and distributor margin, what can we do. We either buy or we don't buy.

The dollar good or bad effects us little here, because it was probably 3 or 4 months ago they had to pay up front for the shoes, so it will always be slow in changing the cost of products over here. Before the GST and the fall in the dollar, I used to stock 20 - 30 pairs of Dexter’s in my shop, I now stock 5 - 6 for display only, and these days I only get them in if someone wants them. I always tell the customer they are expensive, and most of the time I am advising them to go to an online proshop in the US because I cannot help them.

With regard to your comment about us discounting these shoes, since the GST we all realise the price of Dexter’s shoes and others have risen too much, to make them available to bowlers I have discounted the price of my Dexter’s by more than $100.00 off the normal retail price we used to have, but in many instances I discount them even more and sell them just above cost price. I won't make any money doing this all the time, but at least I satisfied my customer, and got another pair off the distributors shelf.

I too order from online proshops in the US, and at various times in the last 12 months I have purchased around 10 pairs of Dexter’s from the US from an online proshop, I did it because I could not get the sizes or the style here. Each time I have paid import duty, GST as well as customs fees for every pair. The last order of shoes which included some SST6's cost me US$108.95 and by the time I landed them my price was AUD$319.00, I sold them for AUD$320.00.

I also recently purchased 8 Ritger videos from Ritgers Bowling Camps near New York, the cost to me for postage was US$20.00 for a small parcel, I know of a customer who recently purchased a ball from an online proshop, cost to send the ball was US$42.00 by USPS he got it in 5 weeks, by the time I drilled it he saved AUD$5.00 and the pin and CG was in an unusual place, I gave him no warranty on the ball.

Many of the more reputable proshops in Australia already discount well below retail price, last year alone my discounts amounted to more than $15,000.00 which means that came off my final profit, you have to understand that when we discount we are taking it out of our own pockets, because we cannot build in too much margin into our products anymore.

My website as well as the others, at the moment the cost of balls in comparison to US online proshops is minimal when you factor in the cost of postage. As an example and these are not on my website because they are sold out, from Bowling Index the cost of a Brunswick Inferno is US$138.95 + $82.00 postage with USPS Air Mail a total of US$220.95 (AUD$329.77), Bowlers Paradise are selling the Inferno for US$149.99 + $42.70 postage by USPS Surface Mail the cheapest 6 – 8 weeks, a total of US$192.69 (AUD$287.60) if they send it FedEx in 7 –10 days you pay US$106.75 bringing the total of that ball to US$256.74 (AUD$383.20). I am selling them in my shop for $304.00 plus drilling. And for my regular customers that support me I will always do better than retail price.

One thing you have to realise is that we are consumer driven, if we are too expensive we sell very little, all businesses work off a margin, they need a certain turnover to make a living, the proshops you mentioned in your post do more than just run a proshop, all provide a service to their customers, with the best advise, support for the products they sell, they help you choose the right product rather than selling you the most expensive product, they help you with surface changes and making sure the ball is right for you. They rely on your return business.

I am not saying all proshops do the right thing, many are overpriced and have margins that are ridiculous, many care little about the proshop and put little effort into it, the ones you mentioned all make a living from the proshop and cannot afford to rip people off, they simply would not survive.

I have always encouraged my customers that if they support me then I will always give them the best prices and always give them the best advise, in some cases selling to them for very little margin just to keep their business. Many times I have advised my customers to go to another proshop because they were cheaper.

Like many of the others we give balls away at tournaments and support the leagues and kids in our center, I make little for a lot of effort in many cases, I work more than 50 hrs a week and I earn less than some do working for McDonalds, sometimes I wish I had another job because I would be making more money, but we do what we do because we love the sport and the industry.

I understand you are not attacking anyone personally, but don’t ever say that we are ripping bowlers off, I take that personally as would the others. I guarantee everything I do and stand by my decisions, and that is why I am still in this business after 23 years.

And as Steve Jones rightly mentioned, always try and support your proshop, if it's a good one they will support you in return. We cannot stop bowlers from buying overseas, always take advantage of better prices if you have the opportunity, but if you have a good proshop in your area that makes a living from supplying you, support them, because you will win in the end.

Regards,
Patrick Birtig
Bowlers World

Australian Pricing and the US Dollar

For you financial wizards out there.

The Australian dollar has improved against the US dollar and yes my new stock is a little cheaper than my old stock which at present represents about $100,000 in value.

As i have said in my previous posts, bowlers chasing Dexters and Storm balls on the cheap can buy them direct from the states AS PRIVATE ONE OFF PURCHASES and save about $100 on the Australian retail price or about $50 on the discount price.

The $25 postage charge to ship Dexters from the states is excellent, upyours please let me know who your shipper is as the current rate to Prth is between US$35 to $40.

To ship Dexters to me in Perth at present it works out something like this:

Cost of Phone call/Internet fee for ordering item $1
Cost of Shoes US$100 +/- $160
Postage USPS $35-40 $70
Duty at 8% $12.80
GST at 10% $16
Credit Card Charges (including currency conversion Fee) $5
Customs Electronic/Manual Entry Fee $10 +/-
Picking up the parcel from Customs
My margin to cover Expenses/wages 25%
GST to the Customer at 10% $30+/-

TOTAL PRICE SHOULD BE ABOUT $378 +/-

I THEN SELL THEM FOR ABOUT $350
(the government is the big winner in this sale)

THEN THE UNTHINKABLE HAPPENS

THE BOWLER CANNOT PAY FOR THE SHOES
OR THEY DON'T LIKE THE FIT

So what do I do, force the bowler to complete the transaction?
No, i put the pair of Dexters in my stock and hope for an early sale to recover the costs

Enough said

Re: Australian Pricing and the US Dollar

sandor said:
For you financial wizards out there.

The Australian dollar has improved against the US dollar and yes my new stock is a little cheaper than my old stock which at present represents about $100,000 in value.

As i have said in my previous posts, bowlers chasing Dexters and Storm balls on the cheap can buy them direct from the states AS PRIVATE ONE OFF PURCHASES and save about $100 on the Australian retail price or about $50 on the discount price.

The $25 postage charge to ship Dexters from the states is excellent, upyours please let me know who your shipper is as the current rate to Prth is between US$35 to $40.

To ship Dexters to me in Perth at present it works out something like this:

Cost of Phone call/Internet fee for ordering item ($0)
Cost of Shoes US$100 +/- ($150)
Postage USPS $35-40 (via USPS global prioity mail or airmail parcel post $25) ($50)
Duty at 8% $12.00
GST at 10% $15
Credit Card Charges
(including currency conversion Fee) ($0)
Customs Electronic/Manual Entry Fee $10 +/-
Picking up the parcel from Customs
My margin to cover Expenses/wages 25%
GST to the Customer at 10% ($0) not your cost

TOTAL PRICE SHOULD BE ABOUT ($325)

I THEN SELL THEM FOR ABOUT $350
(the government is the big winner in this sale)

THEN THE UNTHINKABLE HAPPENS

THE BOWLER CANNOT PAY FOR THE SHOES
OR THEY DON'T LIKE THE FIT

So what do I do, force the bowler to complete the transaction?
No, i put the pair of Dexters in my stock and hope for an early sale to recover the costs

Enough said

Sandor's maths skills leave a lot to be desired. He must work for the Commonwealth Bank on the side. I have inserted the corrected totals into his quote.
Also...If you're paying $35-$40 for shipping, you are getting ripped off. See my shipping figures above.

hay up yours.
It all depends on the price of the shoes. What did you calculate it on cause in sandors calculations he says shoes cost 100 +/- ($150)

And has there dore done the calculations on the $150 price not the $100. Which will make a big difference. If you did yours on $100 then yours will come out alot less then that of sandors calculations.

Stephen Batten

all right sorry about that shoes $100 us $160 aus.

But it does calculate up right. See below

$__1-------------------:phone
$160--------------------:Shoe
$_70-------------------:postage
$_12.8-----------------:Duty
$_16-------------------:GST
$__5-------------------:Credit card fee
+$_10-------------------:Customs fee
---------------
$273
---------------
+$_68.45---------------:wages 1/4 of $273
---------------
$341.45
---------------
+$_34.14---------------:GST
---------------
$375.59
---------------

Which is pretty damn close to that of sandors total of $378 +/-

Proof of Purchases

Thanks Chucky

The point is proven that an Australian Pro-Shop cannot sell a (current model) pair of Dexters for $250.

I have plenty of invoices, customs clearance forms and Visa statements spanning back 12 years to back up my claims and pricing structure.

All I can suggest at this moment to bowlers like upyours is sign a lease agreement at a bowling centre and open up a pro-shop then you can reap all our supposed huge profits.

All the best

For those of u that have bought bowls over the internet, i was just wondering how much u paid for the ball with all the shipping and taxes included in the price. And whether u know of any trustworthy sites.

Please also remember that:

whatever you buy overseas has no warranty in this country. It must be returned to the original supplier who will then in turn will return it to the manufacturer.

After you pay return airmail to the States (min $100 on a ball), because you want that "whatever" as soon as possible, then pay return air fare on the goods (because it wasn't the suppliers fault that the ball is wrong from the manufacturer), ........ that $30 bucks cheaper "thingy" is now very expensive. AND another two to three months will pass by.

One other thing, have you ever tried to track a lost "thingy" from the States?

Enjoy........ its a load of laughs when it goes wrong.

Just one other thing, if you think that bad bowling balls are not manufacturered, your wrong, they do........ its the law of averages.

Good Luck

GBS

FUNNY POST

Hey everyone well i would like to thank you all for your input on this subject as you have all amused me for quiet some time now.
For those that dont know me I also am a Proshop operator and Bowler Manager, and i would hope to think that my bowlers at leats gave me the oppurtunity to do the best possible deal i could, before they stabbed me in the back.
But there is one thing that none of you have touched on yet and that is who the hell is going to drill this gear from America. Because i know if someone came in of the streets with a new ball and ask me to drill it the minimum charge is $60, thats without lifters and slugs. So the money he saved on getting it over seas he just blew in mty proshop thank you very much thats good money. Where if he bought that same product through my proshop he would get the product WITH WARRANTY, his drilling would be FREE and he also gets over a half hour free tuition on my lanes after the ball is drilled. Now if some middle man in us gives you a deal better then that then by all means go too him but i very much doubt it.
Im currently selling money track balls at $280 drilled try get them from us for that drilled.
Also the reason i highlighted WARRANTY was the middle man in america has to send your product to another person before it leaves America your warranty is only covered for the first freight which is done in America. So from when it leaves the American shores to here is not covered i bet they dont tell you that.

Anyway i think you have all touched on the good and BAD points so its upto yourselves to make your own decesion.

bye for now

Back
Top Bottom