How to shatter a bowlers ambition

If you're the one who has to sit out you should feel disappointed. You need to feel disappointed. Because in the long term, with the right attitude, the feeling of disappointment only fuels your motivation and mental toughness, which can give you a distinct advantage when you do get your opportunity.

Look at a guy like Mike Hussey, for 10 years he was one of the top performers in first class cricket, yet he continually was overlooked by national selectors. Not because he wasn't good enough to be there, it was because the Australian team were winning with the players they had. Once he finally got his opportunity, after an agonizing 10 year wait, he became one of the best batsmen in the world and has been for the past couple of years.

So, sitting on the bench could be the best thing that can happen to you as a bowler wanting to represent your state.

........so Rob we shouldn't comment or discuss the status of - in this case Rachuig? Everyone who passes comment is just a two bob expert - put up or shut up...correct. Well Rob I've put up more than once - but I'll let others judge if I've made any worthwhile contributions to this sport in forty something years of being involved when I'm dead and gone. I might modestly suggest to you that I have - at least once or twice - so what that buys me is an opinion nothing more and certainly nothing less and this forum is the place to table that opinion. Rob here it is for you.....there is what people what to hear, there is what people want to believe, there's everything else...THEN there's the truth!

There seems to be a certain amount of misunderstanding regarding the required strength of Rachuig teams.
To my understanding the States now have a choice of sending either a 5, 6 or 7 person team.
I see that some of the Presidents Shield teams are only taking away 6 persons. Certainly makes it easier in some respects but I think its a risky move.

No disrespect to Geoff Ott, he's a legend of the game but Taya, I'm sure him only getting 6 games has something to do with his ENTERING average being 216 however in the event he managed to average only in the 160's and win only 2 points from 7 games ... hence I'd say without a doubt he understands why he spent 2/3 of the games on the bench.

Thats why I said Jo if you actually read my post you replied to, that it doesn't matter what sort of a bowler you are (ie average, number of 300 games bowled etc) it's how you bowl on the day.

Having a full team of 210+ average bowlers isn't always going to win you the gold at the end. And I think that alot of Managers miss this when putting line ups in because I have seen it happen but you can't pull someone out of a line up and put them back in after 3 or 4 games expecting they will preform. How can they "preform or perish" if they have no idea what the condition is like when they are brought back in. No matter what sort of bowler they are.

I think this is why so many people get upset when they are benched. It's not because they are benched, it's because when they are brought back in they are expected to know the condition and when they don't perform, they get benched again. So instead of just benching these bowlers, give them a chance to perform.

Someone mentioned Anne Maree in a post of great players, I can remember a time when she couldn't get a spot in the Australian Team, even though she was the Best bowler, Why? It wasn't like she had to go out and improve as she was already the Best Woman Bowler in the Country, was it because she wasn't liked? is this how we choose teams?

willey

I dont bowl Rachuig because I dont like the format (no min. games)

But because Its the top level team event in the country I agree with the format used.
So I dont nominate. Problem solved.

Aaron Franklin who was in our winning team this year summed it up best.

He'd rather bowl 3 games in a team that had a chance to win than 18 games in a team that was going to come last.

And why? Because he is a TEAM player.

It doesn't say on the trophy how many games Aaron bowled. It will say that Aaron Franklin is a Rachuig champion forever.

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT !!!

I think that a minimum number of games should be put bought in to every tournament not just Rachuig and Presidents Shield, any tournament fielding over 5 people. Even know most Shield teams are only taking 6 people now, chances are; somone is still going to get sat out more time then they get to bowl.
I personally don't know what it feels like to be sat out for numbers of games at a time; however, I have close friends that have been sat out. The thing is, they're not angry at their managers/coaches for sitting them out, they're angry at themselves, for 'under preforming'. To me, nobody should be made feel like that. Especially not in a 'team event'.

Just My Opinion.

I see your point Bec and agree.

I also would hate to think teams would have there favourite 5 they want to bowl and yeah we will slot you others in when we feel like it.

I mean really all 7 should have the talent to be in there or not.
Sure you might get injuries or some might not be performing too well there.

I hear there might be some changes next year........not sure some-one can fill me in on that. Plus I'm sure with the thousands of dollars pouring into one event to generate interest we might see some come out of the wood work to bowl and think oh well, might as well bowl Rachuig while I'm at it.

We shall see..........

The thing is, they're not angry at their managers/coaches for sitting them out, they're angry at themselves, for 'under preforming'. To me, nobody should be made feel like that. Especially not in a 'team event'.

You're kidding right? That's when they should feel disappointed (I won't say angry) at themselves for under performing. Because they aren't just letting themselves down, they are letting others down too.

Aaron Franklin who was in our winning team this year summed it up best.

He'd rather bowl 3 games in a team that had a chance to win than 18 games in a team that was going to come last.

And why? Because he is a TEAM player.

It doesn't say on the trophy how many games Aaron bowled. It will say that Aaron Franklin is a Rachuig champion forever.

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT !!!

Spot on stats man (aka Chris). This what Rachuig should be about!

Just quickly on the subject of a minimum games requirement, personally I would hate to be in the position of having to bowl more games than I felt I deserved if I knew I was underperforming and knew that I was keeping another bowler out of the line up who would contribute more in the way of points or pinfall than I could.

I hope they keep Rachuig as it is.

The whole thing is really a win/lose situation.

If your not performing then you have every reason to be benched. You can't pull anyone out of a winning line-up. But at the same time, you can't just bring someone in stone cold either.

I know that I would rather have bowled 14 games less then I did this year in order to go home with what Tasmania (mens) New South (womens) and Queensland did.

I will post my recollections of Rachuig later on (i.e. when I have the time to do so).

There is enough passion for Rachuig, a number of people knocking it have never bowled it. I know that before I bowled it, I was unsure of what I would witness, but after being on the lanes BRING ON 2010!!!!!

There are always two ways to deal with setbacks. Work hard to improve or give up. I for one learnt alot in this campaign and will work on my game to improve and hopefully help push Victoria higher up the standings. I also hope those bowlers who were disappointed with the number of games they got and/or were disappointed with their performance during the week go home to practice to perform better at Rooty Hill - I know I will.

ITS a team event. TEAM!!!!! For god sakes. Its about winning it for your state. Come on anyone here that is saying there should be a min amount games isnt a team player and really should bowl something esle.

I can understand that people can feel hard done by and other facts but if these facts werent out there to be disapoint then you would never feel the highs in return.

Im a true blue Queenslander and I dont care if i bowled 1 game and sat off the rest I would be behind my state cheering them on! This is not a SINGLES event but team.

Peter,

It's nice to have someone have an opposing opinion who can debate it without resorting to juvenile hissy fits.

My point tho remains. If you want a guaranteed number of games, don't nominate for Rachuig. I have met many more people who have claimed to be in a state team when representing in Holt/DeVeer and it has led to many an argument.

I retired from Rachuig after 2007 because I felt that I was no longer physically and mentally up to the challenge of 3 days of such intense competition. Players who nominate, must be, in their own minds up to the task. If they are not, they can't expect to get a free ride just because it's "fair". Yes, it's an expensive way to pay your dues, but you can't expect to get games just because you have rocked up. They must be earned.

Chris will bounce back. He is young and has a lot to learn and this years experience will stand him in good stead for future years. It's now up to him to do the work needed to be a regular team member.

Im someone who as a kid dreamed to bowl shield and never quite made and also when i was bowl would have killed to be good enough for rachuig but it wasnt to be.

However had i made a team and only bowled 4 or 5 games due to either the my team mates killing it or i was struggling i think id have no problem with that. Its not like they would be the only 5 games i would bowl while i was away. Am i correct in assuming most Rachuig bowlers would bowl atleast 2 over every event in the championships.

So i would still be getting 22 - 23 games and the experience and hunger to go back there again and push for more games.

Seriously who would want to keep bowling if they were struggling and felt like a burden on the team.

Look we have all been in this situation and my reply to the shattered bowler is work hard at your game to become a better player.

Some of the posts stated it correctly by saying if you perform on the lanes you will stay in, you don't your on the bench.

If captains and coaches are not playing people because they have personality clashes then Im sorry but you should be sacked. Your there to win a Rachuig Trophy and WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT is that winning one is the best feeling ever.

Decisions should be made on performance only. There are times where two bowlers perform poorly and the decision is usually made to play the experienced bowler and bench the inexperienced players, unless the experienced bowler says his got no line or feels out of sorts in the swing. Then your other players would stay in for next game.

Don't give up, next year your might play 10, then with more experience and better bowling you might play 18 the following year.

........so Rob we shouldn't comment or discuss the status of - in this case Rachuig? ! Everyone who passes comment is just a two bob expert - put up or shut up...correct. Well Rob I've put up more than once - but I'll let others judge if I've made any worthwhile contributions to this sport in forty something years of being involved when I'm dead and gone. I might modestly suggest to you that I have - at least once or twice - so what that buys me is an opinion nothing more and certainly nothing less and this forum is the place to table that opinion. Rob here it is for you.....there is what people what to hear, there is what people want to believe, there's everything else...THEN there's the truth!

Steve,

Where did I suggest in any post they were a personal attack on you. Im not going to sit there and type 25 names of who the post is aimed at and 20 names who its not aimed at. If you took it that way....what can I say.
As you said, which I have totally agree with, you have done an enormous amount for Tenpin Bowling over the last 30-40 years & I wouldnt suggest otherwise.

There are to many out there that have admitted they have never bowled Rachuig & never been on the administration side of things but have supposed fantanstic ideas how to fix it. Take away 5 bowlers, take away 6 bowlers, make it a minimum of 10 games, 12 games, do it the same as Holt, ATBSO, Seniors. Lets make all the tournaments the same. If it aint broke it dont need fixing.

Rachuig has been 1 of the unique TEAM tourments in the world for 45+ years.

There is 130 - 140 bowlers that bowl Rachuig every year & they keep coming back. Like I said before, if people dont like the format & choose not to bowl Rachuig for what ever reason, that is there choice.
Dont **** it up for those that do enjoy the event.

Dont **** it up for those that do enjoy the event, well Chin this exactly what this whole thread is about. How can you possibly enjoy the event if your made to sit out the entire Tournament, and if that Team didn't win than what a complete waste, whereas if they did Win, than that Bowler cannot say they are part of the Team.

Obviously there's a Sheep Station involved somewhere?

willey

Dont **** it up for those that do enjoy the event, well Chin this exactly what this whole thread is about. How can you possibly enjoy the event if your made to sit out the entire Tournament, and if that Team didn't win than what a complete waste, whereas if they did Win, than that Bowler cannot say they are part of the Team.

Obviously there's a Sheep Station involved somewhere?

willey

If you had ever bowled Rachuig, you would know better than to ask that question.

I could go into the mentality and the desire that comes with pursuing that elusive trophy, but it appears that you are not prepared to listen to the opinion of those who have "been there, done that" and that I would be wasting my (very limited) typing skills. Read the posts of those who play Rachuig, those who have gone through the highs and the lows.

It's called paying your dues, it's called earning your spot, not being handed a freebie.

It's called building character.

Damn right there's a sheep station, just ask anyone that's bowled it. I agree Brenton, although you might also say it's character revealing.

Back
Top Bottom